Is 74 Too Old For A Mechanical Valve?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsme2

I'm 74 and scheduling a AVR/LAD bypass soon, I am in otherwise really good condition. The idea of a mechanical valve is appealing from the standpoint of not having to have another valve replacement. The On-x valve looks good to me especially their less warafin claim.

Am I on the wrong track here?

Thanks.

I do not think so. Very personal choice. Both save your life. I choose mechanical after originally thinking tissue. Very happy with my ON-X. Coumadin no problem.

I home test new INR range is 1.8 to 2.2. I did not want repeated re-ops. My mother will be 92 in February. I had mine done at age 57.

At your age a tissue valve would probably last long enough since your activity level will decrease over time,.......especially in your 80s. However, I would not count on not having to take some kind of "blood thinner" in your elder years regardless of whether you have an artificial heart valve or not. I am finding more and more of my friends and neighbors are on warfarin, plavix, etc for a number of reasons other than valve replacement. I find dealing with warfarin is not a problem for me now but I do wonder about problems when I get old LOL.

I would say it isn't! What if you were to live to 100?? Some 74 year olds are in pretty damn good shape.

Hi

itsme2;n859883 said:
I'm 74 and scheduling a AVR/LAD bypass soon, I am in otherwise really good condition. The idea of a mechanical valve is appealing . The On-x valve looks good to me especially their less warafin claim.

Am I on the wrong track here?

Everyone here always seems to argue that no choice is a bad choice ... so why would a mechanical valve be a bad choice :)

If you are in good shape then I really don't see why you would not pick a mechanical. To my mind it will help you stay in good shape for as long as possible.

As long as you aren't suffering from any other issues which would preclude warfarin therapy you'll be fine.

The presentation from the mayo clinic I refer to often makes the case that for older recipients mechanical can be a better choice.

http://mayo.img.entriq.net/htm/MayoPlayer1.html?articleID=4071

Best wishes for your surgery and a smooth recovery

My grandmothers husband had a tissue ( bovine ) valve in his early 70's and it lasted until his death earlier this year at the age of 88. Point being he got 14 yrs out of it but if cancer didn't kill him he could have been facing another surgery at 90. If you're in good shape otherwise and don't plan on dying I don't see how people could say it's a bad choice . At your age I don't think tissue could be criticized either. The older I get I seem to change my definition of old.

My stepfather had his mitral valve replaced with a mechanical valve at age 76. He is now 88 and doing very well. The only problem he has had with Coumadin was when he underwent transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP); it took quite a while before blood stopped appearing in his urine. Overall he is very happy with his choice.

Valves are always a personal choice. Who knows, you may live to be 99! And like someone else said you might have to be on coumadin anyways for something else. If you do go with a mechanical check out the on-x valves. They are lobbying now in the U.S.A. to get their inr range from 1.5-2 like it is in Europe with no problems.

Article on On-X..
http://www.heart-valve-surgery.com/...6/on-x-mechanical-valve-lower-coumadin-study/

You might live to be 99, who knows? And as someone noted you might be on coumadin later for another problem anyways. If you do go mechanical check out on-x valves, the future looks bright with them on lowered inr (1.5-2) compared to 2.5-3.5 like mine is. I understand this has been done in Europe already with no apparent problems.

W. Carter;n859921 said:
You might live to be 99, who knows? And as someone noted you might be on coumadin later for another problem anyways. If you do go mechanical check out on-x valves, the future looks bright with them on lowered inr (1.5-2) compared to 2.5-3.5 like mine is. I understand this has been done in Europe already with no apparent problems.

Actually the lower INR range has been approved in the USA. My targeted range is now 1.8 to 2.2.

Heart Of The Sunrise;n859968 said:
Actually the lower INR range has been approved in the USA. My targeted range is now 1.8 to 2.2.
Thanks, I will pass that on to people looking for safer mechanical valve guidelines. The weather has been nice here and i've been exercising more which in turn will kick the inr down. Mine is 2.1 which is not good for me so I will add an extra 2.5 mg of warfarin a week until I slow down around winter. 2.1 would be perfect for the new on-x valve. :)

Hi itsme2
I had my tissue valve at 71age. Now 4 years on, I am running most days - training for half marathon! I only take half aspirin, and tablet for my cholesterol.
What many of the other people say ... makes sense, but for me, I didn't want to be on warfarin!
Good Luck
Brian

At 74, I'd see it as a personal/lifestyle choice. I don't think a patient is ever too old for a mechanical valve. I've only seen cases where they felt that a patient was too young for a tissue valve unless they were OK with subsequent surgeries. At your age, just take your pick and you should be fine.

Latest posts

Back