Introduction

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
davidfortune said:
Would I want to be on a vacation right now? Hmmm. Maybe. Depends on where and what we would be doing. Would I think of scheduling a vacation 3 weeks after surgery knowing what I know now - NO. Primarily because not everyone recovers at the same rate and 3 weeks is really pretty early to be planning to feel great. If you do (as I generally do) that is a blessing but counting on it is risky.

Yes but my trip to India is business not vacation:D . But I understand your point -- unfortunately -- I was hoping someone would say "not a problem, I did ..." but I had a feeling that 3 weeks was unreasonable. My wife read everyone's comments with great interest and a bit of "I told you so" in her voice.

I'm a professor and love to travel so a lot of my work involves working on household energy systems in the third world. I was originally not teaching this semester so that I could spend a month in Peru but here I am, waiting to have surgery and hoping I'll feel like traveling this summer. And being more than a little worried.

Mark

Mark, it is natural to worry. But don't let it get the best of you. This is just a little bump in the road of your life. You'll be back to your old shenanigans eventually. It's just difficult to say exactly when since we are all different. Honestly, it's usually only a few days of very serious recovery, then a few weeks of lounging around and making the best of it, then a few months of getting stronger, then a few more months to have everything functioning as you would like it to. You are not going to be an invalid! You just will have to pace yourself more slowly than you are accustomed, maybe refrain from jumping into the fray as accustomed, and become abit more of an observer than a doer for awhile. It's a good education in discipline of a new sort! :D

Do your homework (get as many answers to as many questions as you can....from us, from your physicians, from other sites, etc..), find that deep confidence you know is available when faced with serious decisions. You'll be fine.

Nice to have you with us!

Marguerite

Hi and welcome, IF it makes you feel any better chances are pretty good you will be feeling fine for traveling this summer. My son is the one that had heart surgeries, but I understand how hard/frustrating it can be when you want to do something, but can't because of recovering from surgery. Justin was 17 for his last surgery and when he was 15 he sailed the Fla Keys w/ scouts, he loved it so much his dad and him signed up to go 2 years later when his troop went again, because he thought his dad would really love it too, so they did all the fundraising, plans ect and then he needed another heart surgery, he should have had time to recover and still go, but then surgery got postponed 3 times so they had to miss the trip. Some things just aren't fair and stink, sorry, sometimes I stomp my feet and it helps alittle :)
I saw you are getting a tissue valve, that's probably a good idea with the travel in third world coutries you do, Actually another member here Stretch just had a Ross procedure , he is a very good photographer and travels at the drop of a dime to go places for his job, some of them quite far from hospitals ect and certainly wasn't his main reason, but IF I remember right that was on his list of considerations when choosing, I mentioned Stretch because you kind of remind me of him, I could picture him traveling with you, taking pictures.
sorry if I missed it but Have you decided which kind of tissue valve you want? Lyn

Mark-
As others have said, three weeks is a little early to head to India, but that's already been said. At four months post-op, I was already going on 12+ mile day hikes with at least 3000ft of elevation gain. At seven months, I went on a 35-mile backpack trip through Yosemite with an average elevation of about 10,000 feet. Don't worry about making a full recovery. :)

Best wishes,
Mike

Marguerite53 said:
Mark, it is natural to worry. But don't let it get the best of you. This is just a little bump in the road of your life. You'll be back to your old shenanigans eventually. It's just difficult to say exactly when since we are all different. Honestly, it's usually only a few days of very serious recovery, then a few weeks of lounging around and making the best of it, then a few months of getting stronger, then a few more months to have everything functioning as you would like it to. You are not going to be an invalid! You just will have to pace yourself more slowly than you are accustomed, maybe refrain from jumping into the fray as accustomed, and become abit more of an observer than a doer for awhile. It's a good education in discipline of a new sort! :D Marguerite

Marguerite,

Thanks for your kind words. I think the "it's usually only a few days of very serious recovery, then a few weeks of lounging around and making the best of it, then a few months of getting stronger, then a few more months to have everything functioning as you would like it to." are reassuring and will be manageable but patience and sitting on the sidelines hasn't been my strong suit in the past - I guess I'll get a chance to work on it. I'll have to think and pray a bit about being an observer.

Mark

Mark - welcome and join the "waiting room" where most of us do not have much patience left. I am also hoping for a Feb OHS date. Good luck!!

Hello from Penn. mountain girl

Hello from Penn. mountain girl

Hi everyone,

I just joined this interesting group. In March of 2005 had my aortic valve replaced with a bovine valve; also had two bypasses at the same time. Been in and out of hospitals ever since with life threatening heart related issues. My husband passed away three days after he underwent the same procedure last November.
I was born with a congenital heart problem as well as other congenital anomalies but will prefer not to expand on that. I did fill out my profile.
In light of my own experiences I found this article very interesting and perhaps it might be of some aid to others. It deals with the issue of congenital heart disease:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=60421&nfid=nl+

Lynn-D...real name Diane Lynn but since Diane already taken reversed my middle and first. Does that work?::rolleyes:

Hi Diane Lynn (or do you prefer just Diane?),

Welcome to the community. Thanks for sharing the article. This is a great place to give and receive information and support.

Very sorry to hear about the loss of your husband in November, and your on-going heart related issues. I hope these heart issues are stablized now and you don't have to be hospitalized again.

Welcome, LynnD (Diane) -

Glad you found this site. Sorry for your recent loss of your husband. Hope you will find much useful/helpful information in this wonderful site.

Mark, best of luck in your upcoming surgery! BAVR and aneurysm resection and recovery may take a little longer than AVR. On the other hand, you may feel ready to go sooner than you think.

Latest posts

Back