INR with Aspirin and Omeprazole

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Mad

I have my 12 week post-op check-up coming up in a couple of weeks.

My INR seems to be nice and stable at 2.4 on 8/9mg per day = 58mg per week. I have been taking both aspirin (for a raised temp) and Omeprazole (tummy settler) since the operation. I expect at the review to be taken off both of these.

I see that both of these drugs are associated with increasing (probable) your INR.

What I had wondered was: Can I expect to see a significant fall in my INR when I go off these? Therefore I may have to up my dosage?

Bad Mad said:
I have my 12 week post-op check-up coming up in a couple of weeks.

My INR seems to be nice and stable at 2.4 on 8/9mg per day = 58mg per week. I have been taking both aspirin (for a raised temp) and Omeprazole (tummy settler) since the operation. I expect at the review to be taken off both of these.

I see that both of these drugs are associated with increasing (probable) your INR.

What I had wondered was: Can I expect to see a significant fall in my INR when I go off these? Therefore I may have to up my dosage?

Mad -

Out of curiosity, where did you "see that both of these drugs are associdated with increasing your INR"?

I have always been under the impressing that NEITHER of them affected INR.

Hopefully some of our other members will KNOW for sure.

'AL Capshaw'

I agree with Al.
Aspirin can increase bleeding, but not your INR, which is another animal.
Not sure about the other drug.
Best to check them out by perusing Al Lodwick's www.warfarinfo.com. There's an area to check out drug interactions with warfarin.

I did take 81mg of aspirin for a while, "just because," not because I really needed it. I noticed I had more bruising while on it, but my INR did not increase.

ALCapshaw2 said:
Mad -

Out of curiosity, where did you "see that both of these drugs are associdated with increasing your INR"?

I have always been under the impressing that NEITHER of them affected INR. (Note that Aspirin is an anti-platelet drug while Coumadin is an anti-coagulant.)

Hopefully some of our other members will KNOW for sure.

'AL Capshaw'

I came across the info on:
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/cardio/archive/7874.html.

It says: Known Drug interactions with Warfarin
Increased Effect :

Highly Probable

Alcohol (if concomitant liver disease)
Amiodarone
Cimetadine
Clofibrate
Cotrimoxazole
Erythromycin
Fluconazole
Isoniazid
Metronidazole
Miconazole
Omeprazole
Phenylbutazone
Piroxicam
Propafenone
Propanolol
Sulfinpyrazone

Probable

Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
Anabolic steroids
Aspirin

and then the list goes on....

AH Yes, I see that clarification is needed here.

Aspirin (as an anti-platelet) DOES affect CLOTTING but DOES NOT affect INR (which was the original question).

It is known that Antacids can affect absorption of Coumadin if taken within 2 hours of each other therefore a cautionary note is usually included stating that Coumadin should NOT be taken within 2 hours of taking an Antacid (which probably also applies to proton pump inhibitors such as Prilosec / Omeprazole or Nexium, etc.)

FWIW, I take both of the above, but take my Coumadin at night and the others in the morning.

Here is what I found on http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/Interaction/

WARFARIN SODIUM (in Coumadin) may interact with OMEPRAZOLE (in Omeprazole capsules)

Omeprazole may block the breakdown of warfarin by the liver. If this happens, blood levels of warfarin could be increased and this could increase its anticoagulant effect. Warfarin is generally used to prevent your blood from "coagulating" or forming blood clots. When omeprazole and warfarin are used at the same time, your blood may be much less likely to clot and this may increase the risk of excessive bleeding. If these drugs are taken together, your doctor may want to monitor you closely when therapy with omeprazole is either started or stopped. Blood tests can be used to make sure that you are getting the right amount of warfarin. If you are experiencing problems, it may be necessary to adjust the dose of warfarin. You may want to ask your healthcare provider about this potential interaction if you think you are having problems.

This interaction is poorly documented and is considered moderate in severity.

Last Updated: March 2005

---------------------------------------------------------------

ASPIRIN may interact with WARFARIN SODIUM (in Coumadin)

Blood clotting normally occurs in response to a cut or other types of injuries to protect the body from excessive bleeding. Platelets, a type of cell found in the blood, are involved in helping the blood to clot when it is needed. Aspirin may interfere with the platelets' ability to work properly, particularly when used in doses of more than 3000mg per day. Warfarin is generally used to prevent your blood from "coagulating" or forming blood clots. When aspirin and warfarin are used at the same time, your blood may be much less likely to clot and this may increase the risk of excessive bleeding. If it is necessary to use aspirin while you are taking warfarin, your doctor may want to monitor you closely for signs of a bleeding disorder. Blood tests can be used to make sure that you are getting the right amount of warfarin. If you are experiencing problems, it may be necessary to adjust the dose of warfarin. Ask your healthcare provider about these drugs and this potential interaction as soon as possible.

This interaction is well-documented and is considered major in severity.

Last Updated: March 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------

OMEPRAZOLE (in Omeprazole capsules) may interact with ASPIRIN

Enteric-coated aspirin generally causes less stomach irritation than regular aspirin because it does not dissolve until it reaches the intestine. Decreasing the acid content in the stomach may cause the enteric coating to dissolve and release the aspirin directly into the stomach. This could increase the risk for side effects such as stomach irritation and bleeding, especially in those people who have an ulcer. Omeprazole decreases the acid content in the stomach. If possible, avoid using omeprazole and enteric-coated aspirin at the same time. Ask your doctor or pharmacist about alternatives to enteric-coated aspirin to provide relief from pain or to reduce a fever. You may want to ask your healthcare provider about this potential interaction if you think you are having problems.

This interaction is poorly documented and is considered minor in severity.

Last Updated: December 2003

I was on all of this all of last year and it didn't effect my INR at all. I wouldn't look for any significant change.

Alot of info to dissolve there. :D
I too take the omaprazole AM and the warafrin PM. But I also take the enteric coated aspirin along with the omaprazole AM.

If the mixing of these medications was casuing a serious stomach irritation, I'm assuming this would be reflected in a significant elevated INR reading?

Are we talking generic Prilosec?

Here's what I found at Al Lodwick's webite:

OMEPRAZOLE INTERACTIONS WITH WARFARIN

Brand Name: Prilosec,
I cannot find any case reports where this interaction has caused anyone any harm.

Bad Mad said:
Alot of info to dissolve there. :D
I too take the omaprazole AM and the warafrin PM. But I also take the enteric coated aspirin along with the omaprazole AM.

If the mixing of these medications was casuing a serious stomach irritation, I'm assuming this would be reflected in a significant elevated INR reading?
I didn't experience that at all. No INR change whatsoever. I don't know what would be causing your irritation. That shouldn't be.

Ross said:
I didn't experience that at all. No INR change whatsoever. I don't know what would be causing your irritation. That shouldn't be.

My stomach is fine, i think. I was thinking hypothetically:

If you had an stomach irritation/bleed would it be easier to spot, as you would have an elevated INR because of it?

Come to think of it, when people speak of an irritation does this usually mean an ulcer? or does a stomach irritaion, combined with warafrin cause an ulcer?

Chicken and egg: I haven't a clue :eek: Could someone clarify please?

Bad Mad said:
My stomach is fine, i think. I was thinking hypothetically:

If you had an stomach irritation/bleed would it be easier to spot, as you would have an elevated INR because of it?

Come to think of it, when people speak of an irritation does this usually mean an ulcer? or does a stomach irritaion, combined with warafrin cause an ulcer?

Chicken and egg: I haven't a clue :eek: Could someone clarify please?

No to the first as having an elevated INR. Bleeding shows up as black tarry stools or outright vomiting up blood. Been there, done that already.

Warfarin is great at showing problem areas much sooner then would normally be found in the form of bleeding. Sort of an early warning detector if you will.
I havent' found warfarin to be hard on my stomach, but the rest of my medical pharmacology for the day is like an acid bath for my stomach.

Latest posts

Back