Inr 5.3

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EireCara

*Hi*, I had my INR checked thismorning, and would usually get the results the next day, but the gp rang me this afternoon to say that my reading is 5.3. I take 8mg daily. I have been unsteady for the last few weeks. He said I should hold the warfarin for 2 days and then take 7mg and retest in a week. I had a vomiting bug a few days ago so I was expecting some change in the reading.

Does not taking any warfarin for 2 days sound like the correct thing to do ?

Jacqui, because of the "vomiting illness", I would hold one dose (8mg), then back to my normal dose and recheck in 4 or 5 days. If it is still high, reduce a little at a time. My own experience is to take "baby steps" in dosing changes unless the situation is critical. Normally, a 5.3 is not critical.

Jacqui, because of the "vomiting illness", I would hold one dose (8mg), then back to my normal dose and recheck in 4 or 5 days. If it is still high, reduce a little at a time. My own experience is to take "baby steps" in dosing changes unless the situation is critical. Normally, a 5.3 is not critical.

If it was me in this situation, I would do what Dick has suggested.
From my personal experiences, I have learned that warfarin is something you want to keep in your system. A 2 day hold may cause you to go below your range then cause you to be on a roller coaster ride. "Baby steps" in reducing is the way to go.

If I'm correct on this someone will clarify it: vomiting may cause you to dehydrate, therefore your INR may go up.

Last edited:
High Metabolizers tend to "Drop Like a Rock" when Holding doses so I agree with the recommendation to hold for ONE Day only. Personally, I would then re-test in 5 to 7 days. I'm with Dick, Baby Steps are safer!.

FWIW, for an INR of 4 to 5, my Clinic recommends Holding 1/2 Dose for ONE Day and retesting in 2 weeks.
(If my Home Tester were working, I would retest in 1 week :)

'AL C'

Latest posts

Back