Information about types of mechanical valves

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil

Hi All,

I'm wanting to know if anyone knows of a site which explains the different types of mechanical aortic valves which are available and the pros and cons of each (or can succinctly explain them)?

Your assistance is appreciated.

Cheers.

Phil.

All new mechanical heart valves give excellent results and there are no randomised studies showing one better than the other. I'd say the main valves are carbomedics, st Jude, ATS. The on x valve is a newer valve which could potentially need lower anticoagulation. All of these valves have been tested to last at least 200 years. The main reason for reop is due to poor anticoagulation management causing thrombosis on the valve. Another reason could be due to an infection, mainly endocarditis. The main cause of early reop is leaking around the sutures of the valve. Another long term cause which cannot be controlled is the formation of pannus which can obstruct the valve. The new on x valve is designed to prevent this and so far there have been no reports of pannus. The carbomedics valve also has a low incidence of pannus although there have been reports of it. The ATS valve is meant to be quieter than the others for some reason.

All valves offer great durability and if managed properly there is a high chance that they could last forever. As the valves are so similar in performance it is relatively important to choose a valve that your surgeon is used to using.

Thank you so much, Mark! That was really helpful. Interesting you said it's important to choose a value the surgeon's used to using-- never thought of that I think it's an important point. My dad is still on the fence of biological vs. mechanical. He does not want to be on complicated Coumadin. He's 61 and very active. Worried about getting a cut and bleeding out if he doesn't notice (he's a contractor). He is very worried about hearing the "clicking" and going insane. Maybe the ATS is an option! Thanks.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for a very clear response. It seems one of the main consideration is going with the one my surgeon has the most experience with attaching. I do like the one which may mean less blood thinner and that which is supposedly quieter. (Sadly, I'm a Virgo and fear the noise will drive me nuts)! Ultimately, I'll be guided by him. Out of interest which valve do you have?

Again, thanks for a ripper response.

Cheers.

Phil.

Worried about getting a cut and bleeding out if he doesn't notice (he's a contractor).
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'd like to quickly interject to point out that coumadin increases the time required to form thrombin, which is a part of the clotting process. It doesn't make you blind or stupid! :biggrin2: If you were to bleed so profusely that you were approaching fatal loss of blood, (I presume that is what 'bleeding out' is?), you'd notice!
More importantly, I can offer the assurance to your dad, as a guy who makes his living with things that cut, slash, burn and bruise me regularly, that he won't notice a huge difference once he's anticoagulated. I find that I seem to bleed a little longer from the daily cuts, I bruise a little more easily, and a little more spectacularly, and, though I'm not sure why, scabs seem to take a little longer to form, and might even stick around longer. (I'm not positive about that last bit, but it is definitely my impression). I'm also an active guy, though 20 years younger, and coumadin doesn't stop me from doing anything at all.
I can't help offer much on the noise thing, except that I rarely hear mine anymore. over the 30+ months it has just faded away.
End hijack!

Latest posts

Back