Increasing the ejection fraction

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryen0

So I finally got my (fifth annual) echo results back today. The doctor told me that my mitral valve is leaking more than it did and that my overall heart function has weakened "a hair" in his words. Of course he left a voicemail and I haven't been able to get back in touch with the office today. As much as I don't welcome a second OHS, i'm not as concerned about the valve as much as I am with the EF. I've been staying around 50% which I suppose is the low end of normal. I don't want to lose any more because I know that it isn't easily recoverable. So any thoughts or advice you guys have would be greatly welcomed. Have any of you done anything that helped improve your EF? I know exercise is good from what i've researched and I plan to seriously amp up my cardio when I get the clear to do so.

Sorry I can't help. However, my experience is that if it was really serious, they wouldn't leave a voice mail.

Sorry to hear of your EF getting lower.
My daughter, at age 26, was diagnosed with thoracic actinomyces, a bad bacteria. While hospitalized when they didn't know what was causing lung nodules, she had an echo which showed a 45% EF. She was referred to cardiology and I had her see my doc. He ordered a cardiac MRI which showed EF of 52%. But, he hasn't been too concerned because her heart function is good. This is still bothering me and my daughter. What we read says even 52% is either low normal or in the heart failure range. After 3 OHS, even mine is 67%!
If you find something that raises it, be sure to post. I don't know why docs aren't too concerned about low EF. But, my daughter is so sick with chronic fatigue syndrome and now this bacteria, and low EF. We feel something isn't right in there.
Good Luck.

Sorry to hear of your EF getting lower.
My daughter, at age 26, was diagnosed with thoracic actinomyces, a bad bacteria. While hospitalized when they didn't know what was causing lung nodules, she had an echo which showed a 45% EF. She was referred to cardiology and I had her see my doc. He ordered a cardiac MRI which showed EF of 52%. But, he hasn't been too concerned because her heart function is good. This is still bothering me and my daughter. What we read says even 52% is either low normal or in the heart failure range. After 3 OHS, even mine is 67%!
If you find something that raises it, be sure to post. I don't know why docs aren't too concerned about low EF. But, my daughter is so sick with chronic fatigue syndrome and now this bacteria, and low EF. We feel something isn't right in there.
Good Luck.

I spoke with my cardiologist and he said that exercise can definitely strengthen the heart and thus lead to a higher EF. I don't know where you read that an EF of 52 is in the heart failure range but I don't believe that's true. From what i've read it has to be well below 40 before that. There is also some reports of people with types of heart failure that have a normal EF. Maybe that's why it's sort of a crap shoot. The EF is a good indicator of the heart's function, but it may not be the "end all, be all".

I spoke with my cardiologist and he said that exercise can definitely strengthen the heart and thus lead to a higher EF. I don't know where you read that an EF of 52 is in the heart failure range but I don't believe that's true. From what i've read it has to be well below 40 before that. There is also some reports of people with types of heart failure that have a normal EF. Maybe that's why it's sort of a crap shoot. The EF is a good indicator of the heart's function, but it may not be the "end all, be all".

The guys I bicycle with would definitely tell you that a 50% EF is not heart failure, at least for me.

Ryan, find our more from your Cardio ASAP. Until then, you could drive yourself crazy wondering.

I am a EF guy as well. I rely on that number to tell my how the heart is performing.

As for exercise, listen to the Cardio. I am pretty sure, even with permission, I did some damage to my heart by continuing to exercise after my diagnosis for the 2nd OHS.

Stay Well
Scott

I was told by my cardio just today that my EF was 50. I was worried n asked if that was low. He said it was fine, and that my heart has been thru so much with the diseased valve and the surgery 14 weeks ago. He said it was "normal", and for me to work on my diet n exercise, and it can possibly go up. I read plenty of stories where people's EF changes either for better or for worse. I'm going to be optimistic on this one, and work on that diet n exercise. 52 seems fine if the range goes from 55-75.

Agree with heart of the sunrise. My EF before surgery was 53% and not just 6 weeks post op it is 55%. They say it gets back to normal post op.

This is what is frustrating me. Mine has stayed the same after surgery and has now dropped a little bit. With the valve performing now, I can't figure out why my EF won't go up.

My surgery was on a completely shot bicuspid aortic valve. Suffering both regurgitation and stenosis. Your surgery was on the Mitral valve. So, I guess we are comparing apples and oranges.

Last edited:
My latest tests showed inconsistency with the EF. The echo said 55%, then a week later, the cardiac MRI results were 67%! So, is the echo that unreliable?
My cardio has always ordered an MRI if my echo is not normal. My echo also said pulmonary HTN but the MRI, nada.
Is the echo test not the one we should be having yearly, but the MRI instead?

My latest tests showed inconsistency with the EF. The echo said 55%, then a week later, the cardiac MRI results were 67%! So, is the echo that unreliable?
My cardio has always ordered an MRI if my echo is not normal. My echo also said pulmonary HTN but the MRI, nada.
Is the echo test not the one we should be having yearly, but the MRI instead?

Is the MRI the one where you have a contrast liquid put in you, or is that the CT scan? I know that the contrast one uses radiation so docs usually don't like to do that every year. I'd be curious to see what an MRI would show for me in terms of EF. But i imagine the test would tear through my insurance deductible.

Gail, you do not want to be exposed to radiation w/o cause; plus an echo used to be cheaper than an MRI, not sure about now though.

Hey, it is not necessary the EF would increase drastically and yeah it is very possible that there is a difference in the ef of the mitral and aortic valve. I have a BAV which has been repaired so the point is my aortic reg has come back to mild from severe so i am not really worried. Just to surprise you. That statement that "a ef of below 50 leads to heart failure". But that is not true. When i had a surgery the patient in the room beside was a 54 yr old man and a chain smoker, his heart walls had gone bad and his ef was just 21%. He is living with that from the past 4 years just that he has to come to the hospital every 2 months for an observation. Stop worrying till your body doesnt warn you. The day it does get back to the doc. :)

I have had 2 MRI's in 3 yrs, both without contrast.
I'm asking my cardio why the echo showed pulmonary hypertension, but the MRI didn't. Also, about the EF differences, and the other difference between them was the echo results said severe left atrial enlargement, and the MRI results stated my left atrium was normal range!
From what I've read, the MRI doesn't give off radiation.
I was mistaken about the range. Cleveland Clinic lists 55-70-normal and 40-55 as below normal. The heart failure diagnosis number seems to be under 40.
But, our docs seem to think 52% is low normal not below normal.

When i was diaagnosted in 2012 my ef was at 58% dr prescribed digoxin .last june i had an echo and my ef was at 45% . Does this mean the digox danaged my heart more? .

Before my mom's surgery her EF was in the low 20s...bad!!! At last check it was 54 percent and I wanted to party in the streets:) It was combination surgery and meds-coreg and digoxin-that got her back on track. It took awhile but it happened!

I think that we may be so confused about numbers that we think (as I did, until I did a bit of research on it) that anything less than 100% is undesirable. My EF in 2012 wasn't where the doctors wanted it to be -- they prescribed a beta blocker to help with the EF (somehow). I had another Echo 2 months ago and am STILL waiting for the results. I'm doing okay and figure that 'no news is good news.'

My cardiologist puts very little stock in EF numbers, and he personally reviews all the echo data. If he did go by any number to judge my condition, it would be the NYHA Functional Class, or some other measure of "How do you feel?"

Back