Inability to Yawn

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jan1948

I've never seen 'inability to yawn' as a symptom of aortic valve stenosis, but I've been like that for several years. It creates a lot of anxiety, because you really feel the need to yawn - but can't. So you are constantly going into the 'yawning motion' without producing a yawn. It leaves me with more chest tightness and also a tightness in the abdominal area. When I told this to the doctor, he acted like he didn't know that one of the symptoms of AVS could be the 'inability to yawn'.

So I'm just wondering if anyone else out there with this condition has had this same problem.

I had issues with yawning before surgery. It's weird when I was 5 years old I remember singing in school and having to yawn sometimes when I would sing I don't think this is related to AS. Anyway I noticed in the last year before surgery (@ 28 years old) I would not be able to get a satisfying yawn or deep breath for that matter. I thought it was because of AS but not sure, caused me worry and just made me feel down in general. Here I type on my phone nearly 5 months after surgery and I can say I don't have this problem anymore, so I guess in my situation it was AS that caused this.

It is interesting and you really have to wonder why ............I always was to that a yawn was to add oxygen into our system and this seems to bear that out
Scientists do not purport to know all of the biological mechanisms of the yawn, but tend to agree that a yawn is an involuntary respiratory reflex, which regulates the carbon dioxide and oxygen levels in the blood. Technically, a yawn is the reflex opening of the mouth followed by the deep inhalation and slow exhalation of oxygen. The very act of yawning is but one of a number of involuntary reflexes controlled by the spinal and nerve centers. Scientists speculate that the onset of a yawn is triggered either by fatigue, or by sheer boredom as, at those times, breathing is shallow, and little oxygen is carried to the lungs by the oxygen-toting cardiovascular system. When one yawns, his or her alertness is heightened, as the sudden intake of oxygen increases the heart rate, rids the lungs and the bloodstream of the carbon dioxide buildup, and forces oxygen through blood vessels in the brain, while restoring normal breathing and ventilating the lungs.
The most plausible explanation, and the one that is taught in medical school, is that we yawn because oxygen levels in our lungs are low. Studies have shown that during normal, at-rest breathing, we don’t use anywhere near our lung capacity; for the most part, we just use the air sacs at the bottom of the lungs. If the air sacs, called alveoli, don’t get fresh air, they partially collapse and the lungs stiffen a bit. As a result, it’s believed, our brain prompts the body to either sigh or take a yawn to get more air into the lungs. But certain aspects of yawning remain even more mysterious. Fetuses, for instances, have been observed yawning in the womb, yet it’s known that they don’t take oxygen in through their lungs. And yawning seems to be a symptom of multiple sclerosis and other medical conditions, for reasons unclear.

It is interesting and you really have to wonder why ............I always was to that a yawn was to add oxygen into our system and this seems to bear that out

I bet fetuses yawn because its part of development of the cardio and neuro system of the body, like practice or a system check.

I had that problem before and after my first MV repair...It is a maddening feeling and I sympathize with you..

Thanks for the info, Greg. It's good to know that a few of you have experienced this. I sure hope it goes away after the surgery. Thank you for all the responses.

I'm pretty sure that will go away..might take a bit of time to take deep satisfying breaths..(i just took one to check...lol...) it's better now 6 weeks post op than it was pre op...Much.

If you are having trouble producing a YAWN ,let me introduce you to my wife!!!!!!!

LOL! Certainly, your wife isn't boring, is she????

Heh ... never had or heard of problems yawning before. Heck, just reading this, I yawned a couple of times.... Irony rocks!

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 5 MCs + 1 Caprice Classic
CHD.MCs.CC + RoadTrips.hobbies.RadioShows.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Somebody snitched on me" __ Barry Gordon __ 'Nuttin' For Christmas'

You might want to check with your cardio or regular doctor to see if you have ascites. That's when you hold water in your chest or abdomen, instead of getting swelled legs and ankles. Stiffness of the trunk and other odd symptoms can arise from it, without you ever realizing it's there. Just a couple pounds of hidden liquid can affect you. If so, a simple diuretic might give you your yawn back...

Best wishes,

Latest posts

Back