In hospital activity.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james

On Sunday before I left the hospital, day 5 out of surgery I walked the 8th floor 22 times. The staff tells me that each lap is about 450 feet. My math gets me to 9900 feet ( just under two miles. Does that classify as active? I can not wait to get out there and use this new strength!

You men and your measurements!! :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure we all want you to go for it and get out there!! Just listen here to some sage advice. You will run out of energy very suddenly. There will be NO reserve energy. This is the sneaky behavior of post surgery "fitness". With that in mind, do not go anywhere without your cell phone. Be prepared to poop out at the most inopportune time. Don't get stranded on a walk. Take someone along for awhile.

Other than that, use your doctor's advice. Be very gentle with your sternum though. Walking is one thing and great! Pulling and pushing and tugging before things are properly healed are just not smart.

SO GLAD you are feeling so chipper!!! Keep up the good recovery!!

:D Marguerite

James THAT IS TERRIFIC!!!!!!!!

You are doing AMAZINGLY WELL, A am sure you'll be out of there quiet soon!

Please DO NOT ovedue too soon though!

Best wishes for your speedy recovery!

James,

How is your pain?? I could not take ANY OF THE GOOD STUFF either, made me sooo sick, with nausea! Very ill when I finally woke up too.

Take care

What Marguerite writes is absolutely correct: You will feel great, but there is no reserve at all left over. Don't find that out by your own experience! Take it slow, get into cardiac rehab, listen to the nurses, and by the time that's over, you'll have some reserve built back up.

Great job James, just remember not to over do it..... Remember to rest also... you still have to heal.

That certainly counts as active. Just wanted to reiterate what everyone said about being wise with your activity. There's a ton of healing still going on inside so be sure to let that happen and don't overdo it. Cardiac therapy is one good way to make that happen since they monitor and prescribe activity for a bit until you can go off on your own. Great to hear your enthusiasm and progress so far.

As long as you increase very gradually, things should go well. That plus taking a nap every afternoon following your workout for the first 6 weeks.

I stuck to one mile for a week after I got out and then moved it up gradually to 3 miles walking by 3 weeks. I kept it at that level until week 6 when I tried the first run. I didn't make it very far, 80-100 yards. It was week 12 before I could run a whole mile non-stop, but soon after that things returned to normal and I could run as much as I pleased.

I'm 18 years out and ran 1200 miles and 33 races last year. That's what you want to aim for. This week or this month does not matter. You want to be still doing these things 18 years from now instead of pushing up daisies.

Sounds like your blowing through this thing with flying colors. I know I was very motivated to "get back to normal" and constantly pushed myself. I just finished a half marathon this weekend, the valve was never an issue, it was the side of my knee (it band!)

Before you know it, 4 months will have gone by and the only reminder (at least for me) will be a small scare that will fade and a daily dose of Warfarin. OK and maybe a little ticking too!

Go for it....but carefully

Go for it....but carefully

I performed similar feats in the cardiac ward on day 3 and they sent me home that day. My second day home--day 5 post op--I walked 3 miles. No problems that day. The next day, I couldn't make it from my car (my wife drove) to Home Depot (100 feet) because I was so light-headed. Might that have happened even if I hadn't pushed it the previous day? Perhaps, but my guess is my exuberant efforts contributed to my light-headedness in no small way. Also, drink lots of fluids and make sure you're getting adequate electrolytes. I found I needed them...and still do need them 16 mths post op.....more than I did before surgery. Neither my cardiologist nor my GP can explain why, but I am more prone to light-headedness and arrhythmias when I'm dehydrated from hard rides. I've discovered I need to be more conscientous about re-hydrating over several hours after hard cardio workouts. In the winter, I only carry 1 water bottle on my bike leaving the other cage mount screws available for my pump (I like a back-up to CO2 during winter riding) and, while I don't sweat as much as during the warmer months, I still sweat profusely. Most of the water fountains I might normally pass are off this time of year. In any case, as an active guy, you may run into similar issues. Keep up the healthy recovery!!

Latest posts

Back