implant since 1966 :)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PathFinder

Hi, friends!

In the post-operative sanatorium after my surgery, I was told, that in my room there was a hero few days before.

A man, 84 years old, who has had his aortic valve prosthesis implanted in the far 1966-th visited the hospital profilacticaly after 20 years pause. He has been 43 at the time of his surgery!

All the time since the operation he doesn't think about his artificial think in his heart and the only thing he does is to check his INR orderly.

At the first time I didn't believe! Then I asked some other people there and they all comfirmed his stay in the previous week!

Heart valve surgeries in Bulgaria are practiced since 1964. His valve is a ball in a cage. A member here has his valve implanted in 1967 and I really tought it is something very rare. But... obviously it is not soooo rare to have the native prosthesis in you so long! :)

How you think about? :)

Ivo

That is a fantastic story. Imagine living so long with an old model of valve.
I think we should all agree to meet again in 40 years. I wonder what computers will look like then.:)

Latest posts

Back