I'm ready for the punchline now please........

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig P

After a year of knowing I had "a heart murmur," I finally had a mild heart attack a month ago due to ischemia from my failing AV and MV. My cardiologist, Dr. Chen, was very thorough and performed every test I knew about and then some to make sure he was on the right track with my diagnosis. Ended up taking all this data and sending it to my thorasic surgeon, Dr. Tedesko, who advised me that my aortic valve is "shot and not really doing anything." Additionally, my MV is also suffering and has significant regurgitation. So as I waited for him to burst out laughing and tell me the punchline for this horrible joke, he asked me when I wanted to take care of this.
Well, in two days I move out of the waiting room and into the OR. This site has been very helpful during my ride on the roller coaster. God willing, I will be posting some results on here soon.

Thanks!!!! Craig

Drum roll please.....I think the punch line to this not so funny joke is that they will be able to fix you up. Now after the surgery you will feel like you have been run over by a VERY LARGE truck, but breathe, rest, take your pain meds before the pain is intolerable and you will have completed the E-ticket ride in fine fashion.
Will look forward to your posts after the adventure is over....God Bless You

Also, take some time to read through some of the post-surgery threads. Don't let them scare you, I am suggesting this to you so that you can see that even the members who have hit all the bumps in the road (myself included) are back here loud and clear, still kicking up a storm after all the dust settles. There are innumerable little things that can and do happen, some funny, some good and some not so good. The message in this story is that while this surgery may be the biggest event in our lives, for our doctors and professional staff it is "just another day at work."

You will be fine - we know that. You won't necessarily accept it or realize it until you are able to say it to yourself, which will happen some days after surgery. Don't worry - the odds are way in your favor.

Graig I shall be thinking of you on Wednesday! The waiting is the worst and soon you will feel so much better! The next week or two will have its ups and downs but from then on it will all be smooth sailing. Johan

Hey, Welcome to our World! I too am a 'double-valver.' Surgery's not easy, but you're gonna feel SOOOO much better when all is said and done! And just think, you'll get both valves done in 1 surgery. I had to do them separately. Chest cracking twice is NOT funny.

We'll be thinking of you this week. Please ask someone to give us updates from surgery and post surgery.

Craig, I`ll bet you get Greg a lot as I get Craig, a heart felt WELCOME to our OHS family glad you found the site , there is a wealth of knowledge here for the future .....

Bob/tobagotwo has up dated a list of acronyms and short forms http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8494&d=1276042314

what to ask pre surgery http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...68-Pre-surgery-consultation-list-of-questions

what to take with you to the hospital http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?13283-what-to-take-to-the-hospital-a-checklist

Preparing the house for post surgical patients http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...Getting-Comfortable-Around-the-House&p=218802

These are from various forum stickies and there is plenty more to read as well

And Lynw recently added this PDF on what to expect post op
http://www.sts.org/documents/pdf/whattoexpect.pdf

Prayers and positive vibes in the air for Wed.and I have added you to the VR family calendar

Thanks all. I think I am about as ready as I can be. Just have to call the doctor's office today and they will tell me exactly when to show up tomorrow. Doc said he didn't want me to be sitting there for several hours waiting if there was any delay.
Trying my best to keep the butterflies at bay and I know it will be much better soon. As far as chasing the nurses, I think my wife will keep me in check there...a couple of tugs on the cath or central line should do the trick!! LOL
Take care and thanks again.

Craig, I am sorry to hear that your valves have deteriorated, but I am happy to hear that they caught it and are able to fix it. I am sure your new valves will be much better than the old ones, and we will be hearing from you soon!

Craig
Welcome to our Family !!! Sending caring , positive prayers your way.... for an uneventful surgery and a "bump-free" speedy recovery. May the light of God's eternal love, watch over you and your family. See you on the other side of the mountain !!!
Renee
Go Team 2011 !!!!
Dx BAV w/ severe stenosis and 3 proximal Arteries blocked 75% plus 11/2010 Surgery 4/14/2011 AVR Edwards "Magna" Bovine Tissue Valve and a Triple Bypass No complications. St. Agnes Hospital, Fresno Ca. Dr. Richard Gregory Life is good !!!

Back