I'm in stitches

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan B

I know we've discussed this before, but since it wasn't happening to me I must not have paid attention too well. :eek:

After I saw the surgeon on Monday he told me I could abraide my incision to remove the remaining scabs that were still there. I was surprised because a couple spots still had "big un's". Anyway, I did as he suggested...and sure enough they all came off with a nice pink scar underneath. There was also what looks like a piece of fishing line sticking out of my new scar. At first I thought it might be a chest hair because at 2 weeks out I'm sprouting new growth. But after closer examination in the mirror and confirmation from my mom we agreed that it must be an internal stitch poking through. I'm trying to remember what the best thing to do with it is. Leave it? Trim it? Pull it? Put a hook on the end and go fishing? :D I ended up driving back to Nashville today (instead of yesterday), and 8 hours of my seat belt rubbing on that spot has irritated it quite a bit.

I had a stitch that broke through also. I agonized over what to do so I finally went to the cardio to check. He simply gently pulled on it to extend it a little, cut it and it "popped" back under the skin. He did clean the immediate area with alcohol first.
Whether this is still procedure or not, that is what was done for me.
Good luck,
Gina

Reactions: Amy
same happened to me

same happened to me

I had the same issue and after it bothering me enough for a while i simply cut it off with a pair of scissors. My scar (from notior being put in end of Aug.) is pretty well closed up just an ugly, shiny weird looking scar now. - Erica

Make that one more who had stitches come through the surface. Almost all of mine "popped through." The surgeon sterilized with alcohol, tugged on the end, cut it near the surface and let the rest of it pop back under. Other stitches popped through with a gentle squeeze (and a little pus :D ). Yucky!

Dick had one that popped through too- I was screamish about pulling on it - thought I would unravel the valve! ;) The surgeon said to leave it unless it became infected. After about a month, it came out with an easy pull by Dick.

Me too. I had stitches come through both on my chest incision and on the incision in my groin. The first one I had clipped by a friend in the ER, the second was clipped by my PCP but a couple of late arrivals I took care of myself. I wouldn't recommend you do it though unless you call and get permission.

Ross,

I wish you would have told me that BEFORE I pulled it!!! :D

I'm waiting on a callback from the surgeon on call. I also talked to my PCP's nurse and if the surgeon wants it trimmed I'll just go to my PCP to have it done. Thanks for all of the replies! :)

Now I've got Weezer's "The Sweater Song" going through my head... Thank you...

"Pull this thread and you'll find me naked..."

"Lying on the floor 'cause I've come undone..."

I think that's how it goes anyways. I hear it on the radio all the time and just finally figured out what the lyrics were saying....

I'm not a big fan of Weezer either. :rolleyes:

I love the sweater song. :D

I just got off the phone with Dr. Jaggers and he said I could perform the "procedure" myself (I have all of the necessary tools from my 7 weeks of giving myself IV antibiotics when I had endocarditis). So now I have something to do this evening. :D

Alcohol wipes...check.

Scissors...check.

Gloves...check.

:)

Hey Bryan!!!

Hey Bryan!!!

Keep this up bud, and you will be all set to perform any kind of surgery...Dr. Bryan....Paging Dr. Bryan.....Get those Scissors in here....STAT!!! LOL :D :D :D (Don't mind me....my humor-sick as it is-is getting the best of me..LOL Harrybaby666 :D :D

What I want to know is who "spruced" up the place with new wallpaper...you or Ross? :D

You know...I honestly couldn't tell you...

You know...I honestly couldn't tell you...

I am not sure if I did it by accident or not, because I have been checking out some things and I might have by accident...but I don't know how, or even better, how to take it off...LOL So much for computer experience...lol :D :D

The "stitchotomy" has been performed and appears to be a success. The patient is resting comfortably and should be back on his feet...well right about now.

Dr. B :D

I am glad you made it through...

I am glad you made it through...

I would have hated to see the doctor who pulled off this incredibly delicate and complicated surgery pass out from making his own incision...LOL :D :D :D Your Operation was a success Dr. B....LOL :D :D :D

I was surprised to read that you had stitches from having the wires removed?
When mine were removed, just 1/4" incisions at each wire and the wire removed and that was it. Just a bandage, no stitches.
I wonder why some docs feel the need to make such a big cut?
Glad my surgeon does it this way.
Gail

Hi Gail,

My surgeon chose the one cut all the way down the old incision to remove all eight of my wires. The stitch in question was an internal stitch that popped through the incision (he glued the incision closed externally).

This question is mainly for Melissa, but also for anyone else who may have experienced the same thing. I still have drainage coming from the spot where the stitch had popped through. It looks like pus with a little bit of blood in it. Every time I take a shower in the evening it seems to soften it up, and it only seems to drain while I'm sleeping (probably from tossing and turning while sleeping). I'm wondering when I should get on the phone and bug my surgeon again (not looking forward to that)? Also, is there something else I can be doing on my own to get this spot to heal up? Right now I'll I'm doing is keeping it clean with alcohol swabs and then dabbing a little Neosporin on it.

Hi Bryan (or is that Bryan, MD?)

Congratulations on your stitchotomy. :) My sternum is still draining a bit, and similary to what you said, the shower seems to get it a little juicy. My friend who is an R.N., studying to be a Nurse Practitioner took a look at it and said it seemed like a superficial infection (her actual words were "seems kind of like a zit" :D). She left me with some triple antibiotic ointment, which seemed to dramatically reduce the drainage. I asked her if the ointment was comparable to Neosporin, and she said yes, but it was three times stronger (hence the "triple" :cool: ). Sooo. . .you might want to swing by your surgeon/GP's office, explain the situation, and see if they have some to give you. (The one my friend left looked like a sample). I've found that "dropping by" the doctors office can result in some friendly help, without a co-pay.

Keep us posted.
Melissa

Thanks for the tips Melissa! Actually, I think "triple antibiotic" is the generic name for Neosporin. I just started adding this to my "regimen" yesterday, so we'll see if it helps. I guess I could avoid showering for several days. :D Maybe not :eek: . The way my luck has been over the last year, I'm a bit paranoid that I'll end up with an infected sternum. :eek: I was admitted to the hospital with endocarditis October 28th of last year, but I won't be celebrating that anniversary :rolleyes: I'll just keep a close eye on it and call my surgeon if it doesn't clear up or if it starts looking worse in the next week. Thanks for responding! :)

Back