I'm going back Thursday for more work.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger Frank

Well...it's been almost a year since my AVR and I'm heading back to have three of my eight Sternum wires removed. I saw the X-rays and it looked like 5 year old dressed the wires! This really ticks me off because this is shouldn't have happened! :mad:

I'm going to a different surgeon, (NOT a teaching facility) I've lost ALL confidence in the one that did my AVR... :( I about died during my last procedure from what I believe was lack of oversight in a teaching hospital...I'm VERY concerned.

This may be one of my last posts...it's been very nice knowing y'all!

Well I sincerely hope that all goes well for you when you get the wires removed. Please come back if you find it in your heart. Your experience is helpful to those who will come after you. God Bless and Take Care:)

This is really something for others to profit from in a Now-They-tell-Me kind of way...

If you're getting your work done at a teaching hospital, get it in writing first who will be doing what. Is the surgeon doing his own openings and closings? (Mine did.) Are the surgeons-in-learning observing or practicing?

They do have to learn. You need to decide if they learn on you. You need to feel very confident in your surgeon if he's going to be teaching and observing someone less experienced, rather than doing the cutting himself.

Best wishes,

This is really something for others to profit from in a Now-They-tell-Me kind of way...

If you're getting your work done at a teaching hospital, get it in writing first who will be doing what. Is the surgeon doing his own openings and closings? (Mine did.) Are the surgeons-in-learning observing or practicing?

They do have to learn. You need to decide if they learn on you. You need to feel very confident in your surgeon if he's going to be teaching and observing someone less experienced, rather than doing the cutting himself.

Best wishes,

That's a very good idea, I only wish I'd had the value of your wisdom sooner.

I'm aware new Physicians have to learn somewhere but direct supervision
should be a must!

Thanks,

I'm sorry you have to have your wires removed. If it makes you feel any better, I didn't find my wire removal to be too bad. It's all relative, but just sayin'...
But it definitely sucks that you HAVE to have them removed and it isn't your choice, like it was in my case.
DO come back afterwards and see us afterwards!

That's a very good idea, I only wish I'd had the value of your wisdom sooner.

I'm aware new Physicians have to learn somewhere but direct supervision
should be a must!

Thanks,

THAT is a big reason, I never considerred taking Justin to one of the leading CHD centers/surgeons. I know a little girl who was having her 4th or 5th surgery so her parents did alot of checking and went to "the best" since she was a complex case. The surgeon let someone close , he left the room and didn't check the pateint for quite a while, and the resident(fellow?) did a "practice stitch" and sewed the SVC shut. BY the time anyone realized there was a problem in the recovery room late, they rushed her back to the OR, but it was too late. I actually can understand things happen even in the best places, but to top it off, when the parents were upset they took their child halfway across the country to go to the "best", the surgeon told them basically oh well, this is a teaching hospital, your daughter was part of the "learning curve".

Wire removal is not a big deal. I went back to work the day after I had all of mine removed. BTW, from what I understand, it could be the technique, but it could just as easily be the way your body pulled everything back together while it was healing. My surgeon did a great job on the valve and the scar (as confirmed by a non-affiliated cardiologist that I saw for awhile), but I still had wire issues. I know it wasn't technique because my wires were beautiful shortly after surgery, but kerwacky a year later.

Well...I made it, so far so good! This surgeon (unlike the last) used a substance like super glue to hold me together. Looks like it might produce less of a scar....

Thanks for all your support!
RF

Latest posts

Back