Ignorant Grandparents?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just aggravated with a mother that has two small ones and still seems to prefer to listen to the doctors when I'm as certain as it gets, that they are full of crap. Then again, maybe she doesn't want him fed like that because then those diapers might be full of crap.

All I know is, with our first, everything was an experiment.
Wiith our second, many things were no longer done like with the first.
By the third, we were professionals.

If it weren't for Proctor and Gambles support of sending tons of coupons for Luvs diapers, we would have had some real issues.

There is a reason why grandparents are named "Grandparents", that is because they were parents at one time. I hear your pain Ross.

I swore by Dr Spock in his first book before he got crazy, and raised my girls on his instructions but only the medical part. It was to the point and very important for a young mother to help diagnose and work with medical problems that always crop up with babies/young children. As for foods, nursing was a choice and recommended, first food was cereal at one month! My children did just fine and I am with tobago in that fads come and go. common sense makes the most sense to me. Put Talon on the floor and he will figure it out and be crawling soon. Babies need to explore their surroundings with, of course, someone watching him all the time. Best wishes, Gran

Well my little friend was here today. Get this, he might be allergic to prunes! He had a severe diaper rash from his WEEK WITH PRUNES. Heck, even an adult would have a problem if that's all they ate for a week. That's a friggin no brainer there. I tried to tell Chris that what she's doing is utter nonsense, but he will not flex. He even got mad because grandma gave him some distilled water to drink. I got yelled at too. I told him he needs to chill out, pull his head out of the Dr. Spock manual and get with the program.

Wow, I was told to only feed prunes if baby is constipated.....duh.
How did Andrea raise the other 2 kids?
Giving water is just fine. I used to offer spring water cause my well water was hard.

Wow, I was told to only feed prunes if baby is constipated.....duh.
How did Andrea raise the other 2 kids?
Giving water is just fine. I used to offer spring water cause my well water was hard.

She has one other then Talon. Carter. He's just 2 years old. I don't know Bina, this girl drives me insane with her ideas.

Diaper rash is really caused by not changing the babe often. The same thing may happen when apple juice is introduced.

Sounds like Chris is trying to keep someone happy and keeping with the program.

If I remember correctly, when giving a new food, 3 days would be long enough since it only takes 24 hours for a infant to show a reaction.

That's right Freddie:
Sometimes the bum rash is from the BMs being too acidic or too loose.
Other times it's just plain old diaper rash from not enough changing or improper cleaning.

I guarantee that anyone that ate nothing but prunes for a week is going to have one very sore pooper. Might as well eat acid. Same deal with apple juice. I don't know why it's so hard for this girl to understand things. Lyn and I talked about it because we had a problem with all 3 boys when they ate Beechnut TootyFruity. There was so much acid in that stuff that those poor boys behinds were on fire.

Carter is very healthy and very spoiled too.

I'm not sure about the alternating fruits and veggies, but I do know that introducing one a week was recommended when my 18 year old was a baby. Be assured that babies on formula or breast milk have all their nutritional needs met. The addition of other foods is to help keep them full for longer and get them used to a variety of textures and flavors in their diet.

Duff, please don't believe everything you read when it comes to babies. Use your common sense! I remember my friend was trying to put her newborn baby on a strict eating, sleeping, and playing schedule because she read in a book that newborn babies will become manipulative if they are allowed to set their own schedules. She would wake her baby up after 2 hours and try to feed it. The baby wouldn't eat because it was sleepy. Then when it was time to play, the baby would scream because it hadn't gotten enough to eat. She and her baby were both miserable. I finally convinced her to let the baby set its own schedule for a week. Let it sleep when it wanted to, eat when it was hungry, and play in between. Sure enough, both mom and baby were much happier after only a couple of days! Guess what? The baby was on a regular schedule by the time it was 4 months old, all on its own, and is a sweet 12 year old today!

My daughter couldn't eat apples until she was 6 because of the acid. They caused burning diarrhea (she would scream) and a terrible rash even after diapers (she would sneak apples at daycare!). It took us a while to figure it out because it was okay in small amounts mixed with formula, but not straight juice or applesauce.

Well my little friend was here today. Get this, he might be allergic to prunes! He had a severe diaper rash from his WEEK WITH PRUNES. Heck, even an adult would have a problem if that's all they ate for a week. That's a friggin no brainer there. I tried to tell Chris that what she's doing is utter nonsense, but he will not flex. He even got mad because grandma gave him some distilled water to drink. I got yelled at too. I told him he needs to chill out, pull his head out of the Dr. Spock manual and get with the program.

a WHOLE week with just prunes? Hell I'd be worried about someone who didn't have a diaper rash after eating just prunes for a week

that's a really weird diet dude. Humans are meant to eat a decent variety of foods and weird stuff starts happening when you narrow your selection down. They may as well feed the child just metamucil.

Is this some new age homeopathic based thing?

Haven't heard the alternating thing... but what everyone suggests is that you should introduce new foods one at a time. So, let's say we start Junior out with rice cereal... do that for about a week, next Junior gets rice cereal and sweet potatoes, for about 3-7 days, then you can try another new food... conventional wisdom says to give 'em a specific food for at least 3 days to give time for any sensitivities or allergic reactions to appear. Of course, if Junior won't eat a particular food, skip it. He may change his mind later.

Avoid straight cow's milk, citrus, and honey til Junior is a year old.

- this has pretty much been refuted now - especially if Junior has been on breastmilk - there's probably nothing sweeter than breastmilk:D

Sweet picture Chris!! :)

Haven't heard the alternating thing... but what everyone suggests is that you should introduce new foods one at a time. So, let's say we start Junior out with rice cereal... do that for about a week, next Junior gets rice cereal and sweet potatoes, for about 3-7 days, then you can try another new food... conventional wisdom says to give 'em a specific food for at least 3 days to give time for any sensitivities or allergic reactions to appear. Of course, if Junior won't eat a particular food, skip it. He may change his mind later.

Avoid straight cow's milk, citrus, and honey til Junior is a year old.

- this has pretty much been refuted now - especially if Junior has been on breastmilk - there's probably nothing sweeter than breastmilk:D

This is the way we did it back in 80 to 84. I seriously think this girl doesn't understand instructions. She is as dense as they come. She was complaining to Chris about her extemely high electric bill around $240 (and she's on the cheapest electric company in the area, a bill like that for me would be around $360 on my power company), anyhow, when Chris was with her, he ran around playing power manager and the worst bill they saw was $110. She doesn't understand that concept that everything on all the time makes the power meter go round and round faster. She still doesn't get it to this day.

My son had his first milk tooth at around 10 weeks old. He bit me! I continued to nurse even so but since his hunger during his growing spurts meant for sleepless nights, I gave him rice pablum as a supplemental feeding. It was back to work when he was 14 weeks old and by then, he was eating a full gamut of fruits, veggies and cereals (all steamed and roasted, then pureed by me) with nursing at morning, lunch, supper and bedtime being his protein for the day.

I figure if there are teeth in those little gums then baby's ready to experiment with food. It made it much easier when we went to out dinner and if I wanted to indulge in a little tipsyness in an evening. I continued to comfort nurse until he was around 10 months old but by then he was eating everything we were and drinking from a cup.

My daughter was different as far as how long she nursed but there wasn't any change in adding in solids to her diet apart from age. She didn't get cereal until she was 3 months old simply because she was thriving on breast milk. I didn't need to return to work as early with her as I did my son since the military and employment insurance policies changed enough that I had 6 months paid maternity with her vice the 15 weeks with my son. With that, she decided to switch to a bottle and formula at 5 months and to a cup at around 8. It was just as well, she was walking by 10 months (or should I say running?) and I was relieved not to have to look under beds and couches for bottles... Bad enough the sippy cups kept rolling under the table LOL.

As long as baby is still at optimum weight I think all things will come in time. My mother-in-law had 8 kids and reminds the new moms in this newest generation of parents that she never sent a kid to kindergarten in diapers and as long as the smallest filled their plates first, then they all got enough to eat.

Take Heart, no one imagines that they know their own kids better than they do. :)
Pamela.

Latest posts

Back