I think I've got mine scheduled and Im scared t DEATH!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHEEPDOG

I LIVE IN BUFORD, GA. AND WORK IN ATLANTA, GA
Finally,
After days of not getting a returned phone call from the doctors PA, I talked to the person who schedules the surgeries for the Cardiac Group my Dr. is with. If all goes well, I go in for Pre-Op appointment on July,8 and surg. (AVR wjth On-X(?)) will be July 9. I had to get it figured out because my In-Laws are coming to get my son and take him back to Arizona for a few weeks. I will miss him terribly but I don't want him to be all up-set or my family to have to keep a 6 year old busy in a hospital for a week.I am glad I found you all because I was feeling that I was going through it alone. (my wife just doesn't know) I really do want to get on with it because I can tell my tolerance for physical activity has crashed recently. I can do OK with slow bike riding (I ride a POLICE bicycle in Atlanta) but much of a hill or something URGENT and the TICKER really starts pounding. So in a month and 10 days I will be on the road to being "NORMAL" again. I may leave some more posts to fight the FEAR FACTOR b4 the surg. but thats where it stands now.
SHEEPDOG.

Hey there Sheepdog, I know this may sound very strange and I don't usually respond to members who are scared s*%tless. In my case, I was put on "the on call" list. Called a Monday morning to be put on the surgeons list and got a phone call on Thursday of the same week to come in for pre-op tests as there was an opening the next day (Friday) at 1:30pm for surgery......and people wonder why I am shocked and dumbfounded. :eek:

In your case you have time to get all your ducks in a row. Try to relax and take one day at a time.
Focus on how much better you will feel and how much more you will be able to do after surgery.

Godbless

Well your human, so if you weren't scared, I'd say your a liar. We all are/were. It's part of the package, but we'll be around to help you through it. :)

Scared?

Scared?

Scared...In all honesty, I can state that I wasn't scared as I faced AVR surgery in March 2007. The term scared doesn't even start to describe how terrified I was.

Whether you're scared or terrified, your emotions are perfectly normal. I envy those who report accepting what they were facing with confidence and peace of mind. I was still attempting to convince my wife and members of the surgical team that they had made a mistake right up until they knocked me out. I think my last remark to the surgical team were along the lines of, "You guys better not mess this up."

My wait was not as long as your's will be. I got through mine by taking a step-by-step approach. It still wasn't easy as my brain and emotions really took me on a roller coaster ride.

I believe facing this situation is a real test of one's character and resolve. Dig deep, you can deal with this. Try to stay focused on the expectation of a positive outcome.

-Philip

Sheepdog...we were all scared....if you are like most the fear will subside as you get closer to your date and accept/become resolved to your need for surgery.......On another note....your wife is scared too....include her in your journey...you need her strength and she needs yours.....Godspeed.

Nightmares before

Nightmares before

Noel who is usually cool, calm and collected had nightmares for the two weeks prior to his surgery...and was so ready to be rid of the dreams he wanted to get it over with....they turned out to be worse than the surgery itself. You will do fine.

Fear is normal. After all, who really wants to have OHS? :confused: However, now that I've been through it I can honestly say my fear was worse than the actual event. When I woke up post-op my first thought was "Is it over already?". It wasn't nearly as bad as I had imagined....except maybe the boring hospital food. ;) Think of the positive things like getting this all behind you and enjoying your new lease on life. Best wishes and good luck.

As the others have said, you are normal. I remembered how terrified I was. I also remember the night before the surgery the calm that came over me. It's hard now to stay calm, but you will get through this, and you will be so glad you did when it is done and you are coming home from the hospital. You will feel like a million bucks and full of life! And remember, doctors do this surgery all the time now days. It may not be routine to us, but to them, it is a routine surgery.

John

Hi ~ Being scared is normal. I haven't had surgery myself yet so i can't reassure you about it, but i wanted to send you my best wishes and prayers from another scared person. I'm sure everything will go fine and i hope you have a smooth recovery. ~~HUGS~ Dawn-Marie

About a week before my surgery, I was speaking with my cardio and he asked how I was. I responded a cross between hysterical and terrified and this was my second OHS. He assured me that's quite 'normal'.

You'll have days you get through easier than others. There is nothing easy about accepting and experiencing what we go through to get our hearts mended but the reward is so great.

We understand where you are and what you are feeling. Most of us have been there and only someone who has walked in those shoes can truly understand.

The success rate for these surgeries is huge.....much higher than many other surgeries. These surgical teams are so experienced and trained and able that it sure you will be in good hands.

We're here to help you along. We all needed an understanding ear!

You'll do fine.

Sheepdog, congratulations on getting a date. I remember when
I "booked" my surgery date and the process itself seemed so much like making a dental appointment or something that the whole thing seemed unreal. When I hung up the phone I remember feeling a bit trembly and shed a few tears before I called my husband up at work. I'm glad you found us too. A spouse can be the best spouse in the whole world but there is nothing like talking to people who have been through or are going through something similar to what you are.

You'll be ready for the surgery by the time you pedal that bike around Atlanta in June/early July!
As Betty just posted, congratulations on getting a date. . . you're about six weeks out from a better life!
You're on the VR replacement calendar, so relax and enjoy as much as you can.

Hi Greg

Just want to echo what others have said, we have all be there, done that and have the badge of honour to prove it,

YES YES YES most of us were afraid, thats normal, we have a saying on VR " the waiting is the worst part " and it is,

so glad you have a date and remember we will all be thinking of you

keep smiling

Jan

I am sure you will do fine. I am six years out with no effects from the surgery. As far as work is concerned I am able to do all the things I did pre surgery. I do have some nerve damage but that is from the infection I developed which actually was the reason my original heart valves failed. Good luck!.

Yes i was scared before my sons first surgery and i'm scared now. Everybody understands what you are going threw, wishing you the very best of luck.

Everybody freaks out a few times before their procedure, I had two pretty good meltdowns myself. But now Im 3 months post-op and can do more physically now that I could pre-surgery. Running on a treadmill consisted of running for 2 or 3 minutes, getting chest pain, then walking till the pain went away and then repeating the cycle. Now I can run for 30 minutes straight through, breathing is a non-issue and I have no chest pain at all, its my legs that are complaining now. One your through this your gonna be amazed at how much your energy level increases.

Sheepdog - I'll ditto ctyguy's response. My AVR surgery was in Feb 2008 (On-X). I can now run up to 4 miles and feel I'm getting stronger weekly. Legs still don't have quite the strength I had pre-surgery but overall I'm very happy with my recovery. The fear hits all of us differently. One of the posts states that the closer you get, the more you accept your upcoming surgery. That was very true for me. Best of luck and keep us all advised on how you're doing!

Steve C.

The biggest thing about 'fear' is fear itself. In my case a 24 year old girl was having OHS in the morning so I thought about her making it through. When I heard the news that her surgery had been successful I felt 'well I can do this too'. My surgery was in the afternoon. Three months out of surgery and we are both back at work and enjoying life! Good-luck. Take Care.

Mimi

Hi Sheepdog, I was most certainly scared before my valve surgery on February 25, as everyone else has said it is normal to be feeling scared. There are many people on this forum who have gone through what you are currently experiencing and can give great advice should you have any questions. My wife and I wish you all the best.

Jeff.

Latest posts

Back