I need to make a choice soon

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geckley

After I talked to Dr. Cameron and set the date we discussed what valve I am going to get. I agree with him that at my age and with 2 surgeries under my belt that we only want to go in 1 last time. Thats why I'm getting the kitchen sink. He prefers the St Jude valve but I have heard alot about the On-X valve. What do you guys think. I need to have my mind made up this week so that he can oreder the ON-X if I want. Any input would be appreciated

Check out the heart valve sticky at the top that is worthwhile reading. Tobagotwo wrote it.

Whatever choice you make, it will be the right one for you.

Have you studied the On-X websites?
If not, see www.heartvalvechoice.com and www.onxvalves.com

Jack Bokros, Ph.D., was involved in the design of the pyrolytic carbon and actual leaflet design of the St. Jude, ATS, Carbomedics, and is the founder of On-X. I believe he holds the patents for ATS and Carbomedics Valves.

He looked at the 'problem areas' of his earlier designs and came up with significant technological improvements which lowers the potential for Clot Formation in the On-X Valve, especially the Mitral Valve.

My First Choice in Mechanical Valves would be On-X with the St. Jude Masters Series as backup based on information I have received (admittedly from On-X, but derived from FDA submittals...hopefully no one lies to the FDA!)

If you choose On-X and your surgeon has not used them before, be sure to have the surgeon contact On-X to get their educational CD and special recommendations for implantation. (Contact Catheran Burnett, RN, at 888-339-8000 ext. 265)

I have carbomedics for 16 years and chose that then
and decided on st. Jude with surgeon this 2nd round
for upcoming surgery for mitral....All the best to you
in your decisions.

zipper2 (DEB)

I recommend going with the valve that the surgeon is comfortable with. I, personally, don't care to be anyone's guinea pig when it comes to life or death issues. Not to say I don't support new technology - just not on me! :p

I recommend going with the valve that the surgeon is comfortable with. I, personally, don't care to be anyone's guinea pig when it comes to life or death issues. Not to say I don't support new technology - just not on me! :p

IF a patient has his/her 'heart' set on a particular valve, it is always WISE to select a Surgeon who has experience with that valve choice.

OTOH, several of our members have been 'First Time' On-X recipients from their Surgeons with good results. One surgeon told me "a valve is a valve" when asked if he would be willing to use the On-X.

Note there ARE some differences (the Pannus Growth Barrier being one of the more notable ones) and On-X does have a particular recommendation on how to implant their valve that is different from the usual technique used with St. Jude, ATS, and Carbomedics (it involves 'tacking' at 4 points, every 90 degrees, before stitching around the sewing cuff... NO Big Deal apparently). The Solution is for the Surgeon to consult with On-X about these (minor) differences BEFORE going into the O.R.

St. Jude it is

St. Jude it is

My surgeon likes the St Jude so thats what Im getting. I just want to say thanks to all who responded. It makes sense to me. As a auto tech I prefer certain parts over others so really my surgeon is just a Human technician right? Besides if I go with St Jude I can do my own ACT monitoring so thats a plus. 3 weeks and counting. Thank goodness for happy pills. I don't take them regularly but when I have down time to think, I do wander off into that dark area of OZ called "WHAT IF LAND". Thats when they help.
Thanks again everyone
Geckley

I asked my surgeon what valve he would want if he were in my shoes. He said On-X and given that he had done this procedure at least a thousand times (literally) I was sold. I had done some research before and I knew I wanted an On-X based on what I had read but I wanted his feedback before mentioning any specific valve. His praise of the valve sold me.

Like others have said though, both the On-X and St Jude are wonderful devices and both will serve you well. As long as its one of those two I would be more interested in the surgeon and his experience.

My surgeon likes the St Jude so thats what Im getting. I just want to say thanks to all who responded. It makes sense to me. As a auto tech I prefer certain parts over others so really my surgeon is just a Human technician right? Besides if I go with St Jude I can do my own ACT monitoring so thats a plus. 3 weeks and counting. Thank goodness for happy pills. I don't take them regularly but when I have down time to think, I do wander off into that dark area of OZ called "WHAT IF LAND". Thats when they help.
Thanks again everyone
Geckley

You can do your own ACT monitoring with ANY Valve,
even your OWN native valve (if your have A-Fib).

Bottom Line: Valve Selection has absolutely nothing to do with the option of Home Monitoring.

With two different types of mechanical valves in my heart right now, and w/3OHS under my belt, I'm hardly an authority on what type of valve to choose or which valve would be better for you in the long run! All I can say is, I wish you the very best of luck with whatever valve you decide to go with and/or your surgeon recommends, and leave the rest up to God. I'm sure you'll be fine with either valve!

Best wishes! :)

Good to hear you came to a decision, it's never easy.
My St. Jude is over twelve years old and still going strong.
I don't think there is a wrong choice, just getting a new valve can make a huge difference in your life no matter what kind it is.
Rich

Geckley,

Thank you so much for opening up this thread. I am having mitral valve surgery in November. I too am looking at getting a mechanical valve due to the many complications I had with a previous mitral repair. Less surgery is definately the way I want to go. I was struggling with the decision until you opened this thread and pointed to an opption I did not know about. I contacted my cardiacthoracic surgeon at Cleveland Clinic he said that the ON-X is definately a good valve if that is the way I want to go. He has put them in in the past and feels comfortable with both. I am in the process of finding out how many ON-X that he has put in. He performed 406 surgeries last year in which 3/4 of them were on the mitral valve. I trust his opinion. I am continuing to do research on this. I have to make a decision by the time the whell me into the ER so I have time.
Congrats on your decision. Best of luck and thank you.

Latest posts

Back