I need info

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's scary when it's under 2.0, but when your trying, the chances are small of an adverse event. Yes there is a chance, but it's very very small.

No changes in diet, but changes in activity level for sure as I am feeling so much better every week!

Lise:

Warfarin is metabolized by the liver. The more active you are, the faster blood circulates throughout your body, metabolizing more of the warfarin faster than if you were a couch potato.
You will require more warfarin as you increase your activity level.
Once you achieve a steady activity level, your INR should stabilize. Provided, of course, that you are being overseen by a knowledgeable anticoagulation manager.

Lise:
I found this algorithm chart online. I use Al Lodwick's chart and mine's at home, so I can't compare it to the one at the link below.

http://www.med.umich.edu/cvc/prof/anticoag/dose.htm

YIKES !!!

That chart recommends a HOLD of 2 DAYS for an INR between 4.0 and 4.9 for a patient with a recommended range of 2.0 to 3.0.

Personally I would NEVER HOLD (even 1 day) for such a reading and range. I would probably go with a Half Dose for 1 day if the reading was 4.0 to 4.5 and maybe 2 days if the reading was 4.6 to 4.9

YIKES !!!

That chart recommends a HOLD of 2 DAYS for an INR between 4.0 and 4.9 for a patient with a recommended range of 2.0 to 3.0.

Personally I would NEVER HOLD (even 1 day) for such a reading and range. I would probably go with a Half Dose for 1 day if the reading was 4.0 to 4.5 and maybe 2 days if the reading was 4.6 to 4.9

Al:

Take another look at the chart. It says 0 to 2 days.
I noticed that, too, when I found it on the internet. I didn't discount it, though, since it had the ZERO on recommended action.

Happy and excited to inform you that my INR has been 3.3 now for two weeks in a row, I guess there is hope after all, hoping it stays that way now, crossing my fingers.

Happy and excited to inform you that my INR has been 3.3 now for two weeks in a row, I guess there is hope after all, hoping it stays that way now, crossing my fingers.

What is your dose now? Are you eating your normal diet just as you always would?

Hi Lise,

My surgery was on September 2nd, my INR has stabilized only the last two weeks. My doctor did not want me to check it this week! I was on 10 and 12 mgs while in the hospital and after I returned home, then dropped to 7.5, then 6, now on 7 for the last three weeks.

Take care:)

Ross at one point in this thread you asked me if I was retaining water, if my ankles were swelling I said no water pills anymore, but I actually had to start taking water pills about I say 3 weeks ago, due to swollen ankles just a bit swollen do you think taking those water pills could of made a difference.

Not the pills, but the water your retaining could. If it's not too bad, then don't worry, but if you puff up like I do, sometimes your blood is so diluted with waste byproducts that you need more Warfarin to keep in range.

Latest posts

Back