I made it!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anne-Marie

Hey, I'm back and one week post-op :D

I went in last Thursday morning (Apr. 24) for an early morning surgery. As I expected, they couldn't get a vein for an IV. They ended up putting a lock in my neck so that they could at least knock me out! The anesthetist was a riot, as were all the OR staff. As the anesthetist was freezing my hand for yet another attempt at an IV, he said, "Ok, here's a little prick with the needle...wait, you might think I'm the little prick with the needle, but that's not what I meant!" I was still laughing when I went off to sleep!

I awoke with all the usual paraphenalia but felt very calm thanks to all I've been reading here. The nurse that had me post-op told me the next day that I was the "star patient". I have very little memory of my shining moment. I recall telling myself to stay calm and cheering on the Ducks in fifth overtime.

The morphine was a beautiful thing that first day. I felt no pain.
The next day, they gave me fentanyl before they removed the chest tubes andmy breathing became very depressed. I tried tylenol with codeine and didn't like the nauseous feeling I got from it. So, since last friday, I've been taking plain tylenol for the pain and have felt fine with it.

I think I could have gone home earlier, but they wanted to get my INR up to 2.0.They let me out at 1.9, but yesterday it jumped to 4.4. Anyhow, things are going well at home. I'm sleeping in a recliner and getting a good night's sleep each night.
I'm still stiff and achy, but I've started my walking program and I'm really excited
about it!

Thanks so much for all your well wishes. I know you guys made this experience much easier!
XOXOXOXOXOX
A-M

Speedy Recovery

Speedy Recovery

May you have a speedy and uneventful recovery.

HURRAY ANNE-MARIE

HURRAY ANNE-MARIE

Your posts are wonderful news. Don't forget the breathe breathe breathe part of the formula.

So glad that you did so well and I'll bet you're delighted to be home.

Thank your sister for posting; we really appreciated it.

We're thinking about you. Take it easy (you really have a good excuse to do so!) and stay in touch.

Hey there, fellow April 2003 heart patient. Great to hear from you. Sounds like we're both going to be around for a while :D

Your recovery sounds like it's going well. Don't get too discouraged if a speed bump pops up - happened to me with atrial fibrillation just when I thought I was ready to run a marathon (not really) ;)

Are you enjoying your expensive Recovery Room? :) And your hockey team is still in it as opposed to my choking Avs :(

All the best, Anne-Marie. Keep in touch.

Paul

BIG Congratulations, Anne-Marie-

You sound WONDERFUL! I' I hope the rest of your recovery is just as uneventful.m so happy for you that everything went so smoothly.

Congratulations and welcome to the other side of the hill.

I'm glad everything went well and lets make sure it continues to do so. :)

Hi Anne-Marie

SOOOOOO GLAD all is well!! You are now officially "off" my prayer list!! That's a nice thing, too! Continue to get better! Remember the rule, walk, walk, walk, nap, nap, nap, breathe, breathe, breathe!! That's the VR.com creedo!!!

Evelyn

Hi Anne Marie,

I'm so glad to hear you're safely over the mountain. I hope every day gets better for you and truly have an uneventful recovery. I don't know what the weather is like there but here it is fantastic. A nice day to sit on the porch, sip ice tea, and read a good book. Take care and congratulations...........Betty

Requirements for return trip to VR after surgery: picture of mountain climber

Congratulations, Anne-Marie. So happy that you are on the good side of the mountain. Sounds like that truck didn't get you! Everything will be just fine now. Keep on getting better and better. God bless

I am so happy that all went so well and uneventful, Anne-Marie. Welcome back. Tim

Congratulations

Congratulations

Anne Marie - Great to be on this side of the mountain for a change, huh ? Keep up the good work, a little more each day, but not too much. Chris

Great to hear back from you....and you sound wonderful!
Remember to take it one day at a time, each day will get easier! Keep us posted and let us know if you need anything!

Julia:)

Anne Marie - Welcome back to the land of the living. . . which you can now begin to get back into. Glad you were able to stay calm, as that must have made your trek up and down the mountain a lot easier to bear.

I can't give any sage advice about recovery (haven't been there yet) but I will promise to hold off on the rotten jokes for a few days until you're more comfortable laughing. (After that, Look Out!)

Glad to hear from you and that you're in such good spirits. It gives the rest of us a positive image to look forward to.

Anne-Marie,

Great job! You have the right attitude and things will get better each day/week.

Anne MArie,

WELCOME TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE MOUNTAIN!

Your post was great! Sounds like everything went off without a problem.

Take one day at a time. Each day you will feel a little stronger!

May you have a speedy and uneventful recovery! TAke care and God Bless!

Thanks everyone! I had expected to be hit my a cement mixer and it turned out to be a half ton, not bad, huh:D

The weather here is beautiful, I spent the day on the back deck yesterday, just reading, listening to music and napping. What a great life!

:)

Good for you!

Good for you!

:) Anne-Marie, I am so happy for you. You sound great and your attitude sounds great. I am praying for an uneventful recovery for you. Listen to what your body is telling you and do it. Take lots of naps or at least lay around. You'll heal much faster! Good thoughts are being sent your way!

Latest posts

Back