I made it!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky401

Hi Everyone,

Well, I am home. I came home on Monday after 7 days in the hospital. The surgery went well. They did a lot of stuff and the surgery itself was 8 1/2 hours long. Here is what Dr. Bavaria did, I'm not sure of the official names of stuff his writing is hard to read. I got a tissue aortic valve replacement, I had my aorta replaced - it looks like it says transverse arut; hemi-arut graft #26 HEA/RCP, aortic root #21 freestyle bio root, mitrol valve repair #26 future band, repaired a hole in my heart which no one knew about and PFO closure. Now maybe some of you will understand all this technical languege. I'm just glad to be here to talk about it. The surgery was long and the breathing tube was in for 24 hours after the surgery was over. They had trouble waking me up. The worst part of this for me is that I woke up with bronchitus and a bad cough along with swallowing problems all due to the breathing tubes and being under anthesia for so long. I am home and my breathing is getting much better. The best part of my home coming was taking my first shower - that was great. They won't let you shower at the hospital because they have external pace makers and heart monitors attached to you till you come home. My incision and chest have not hurt me too much at all so I have not needed pain killers. Best of all each day I am home I feel a little stronger - this really knocked me more than I expected it to. This morning I was able to walk about a block and back without stopping too much to catch my breath. I really thought I would come home and be able to walk a mile immediately now that my heart is supposed to be working ok - Wrong.

Thank you all so much for all your support before the surgery. That really seems to be the worst part of things. I remember reading how so many of you experienced a calm right before you went in for the surgery. I did not experience that - it was more like panic and a feeling of wanting to bolt but they gave me something right away that knocked me out so it wasn't too much of a problem. It's a good thing I had it done when I did the surgeon said my aortic valve was critical and just about closed tight when he got in there and the aorta was extremely thin even though the anneurism was at 4.5 or so.

Thank you all so much for your support. I will stay in touch.

Barb

Congratulations!!

I had not been around to follow your pre-surgery experience (family stuff kept me away from forum) but with a screen name like Lucky....I couldn't imagine it being anything but success for you!! Great attitude!!!!! I firmly believe that attitude gets us through this thing.

Now you have to learn the next big word....patience!!!! As long as you are improving day by day, and the setbacks (there will be some) only take you on a a little diversion and then lead you back......you are on the right road!

Don't worry about grasping all that was done to youright now. That is for your first post-op visit with the surgeon. They love talking about the work they did! You'll learn it all. Go ahead and write down your questions for him now, though, while you care!! ;)

Be gentle with yourself.

BEst wishes.

Marguerite

Barb -- great news, know it's wonderful to be home. Some of your adventure sounds similar to mine -- in terms of both the valve and root being replaced, and then the extra time with the breathing tube. Know it was a relief to be done with that, and very glad your breathing is imnproving now.

Wishing you a smooth recovery from here on. Think gradual as you increase your activities,

wish I was in your place

wish I was in your place

hi barb so glad that you are home and recovering well,,,I wish I was in your place I have just had a cancelation to discuss my op with surgeon and cardiologist,,,have to wait another 15 days now before I find out when the big day is,,,,,,only hope and pray that its soon its getting harder telling my family and friends I am fine when i am not,,,,,,keep in touch and let us know your progress,,,,,It all helps,,,:) poppy uk

Congratulations on getting to the other side of the mountain.
You sound wonderful and your happiness can be felt in your post.
Don't overdo it. You had a lot of work done on your heart and it needs to heal. Don't push to try and walk a mile right away. Didn't they give you a schedule of how much to increase your distance each week?

So happy you are home. Have a smooth, uneventful recovery!!

Barb,
Congratulations! I am so glad to hear your surgery went well and you are home recovering. Your surgery was complex and it sounds like you are making good progress! Remember to take it easy! My surgery was 7 weeks ago and I had my aortic valve replaced. I still get tired and take naps. Don't overdo it!

The walking will come along. I was thinking, like you, that I would immediately be able to walk farther than ever. It all takes time but it comes along. I am up to walking at least 20 minutes without stopping, and cardiac rehab has been a wonderful help. If you have a chance to do cardiac rehab and your doctor prescribes it, I would take advantage of it. I feel so much better from the exercise.

Good luck and take care!

CRM-mom
(aka Barb)

Glad to hear all went well w/your surgery & that it's finally behind you. Now you just have to take it slow & don't get discouraged if you can't do everything you anticipated you could do after you got repaired. It will take some time.

Best wishes to you & welcome home! :)

Latest posts

Back