I know nothing about coumadin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill--don't make me come down to Florida and whoop ya into shape! Or shall I call your mommy? Just kidding, I wish they had buffets around here, they always advertise them, but there aren't any around here! Sucks, cause the food is always yummy! Take it easy!
Joy

Buffets

Buffets

Buffets are for sissies...Up here in the mountains of North Georgia we have Houses..you go to eat..2 famous ones are the Dillard House in Dillard G. and the Smith House ..You go in and sit at long tables with strangers and they bring bowls of Country Ham, Fried chicken, fried catfish..Bar-be-cue..green beans, peas, potatoes, hushpuppies,carrots, oaka, corn,pinto beans, cabbage, ect. all fresh picked...corn muffins, yeast rolls..and you just say pass the ??please..Sweet Ice tea....and then you go over to the dessert table for Banana pudding, cherry pie, pecan pie, cocanut pie and every type cake..freshly baked..then you roll off the front porch..after you have sat in the rocking chairs..:D :D :D

Hooray Bonnie,

We have a place in Pensacola that is called "Hopkins Boarding House" . It is in fact an old boarding house that has lots of tables on the first floor. Some of the tables are the traditional long tables that seat about 10 to 18 people some are 4 or 6 tops and there are a few round tables that sit 6 or 8 and have a large lazy susan mounted in the middle and it has 10 to 15 "pass around dishes" in it so you can spin for the fried chicken or mashed potatos or sweet potatoes or grits or geens or whatever.

It is a fun place to have lunch on weekdays. Judges, attorney's, mail carriers, police, bankers, plumbers, welders, all kinds of folks share the tables and make interesting conversation. Just a great throw back to a much earlier time.

They do not rent rooms anymore but serve great southern food.

We took some of our house guests there for breakfast one time and that was a real treat.

Yes I eat too much or the wrong things and pay the price for that, Its a wonder I did not need any bypass with my valve replacement, but arteries were clean as a whistle, go figger.

Bill

Coumadin variability question

Coumadin variability question

I'm relatively new to coumadin. I understand that over consumption of vitamin K can cause the INR to drop. I just learned yesterday that illness and antibiotics can cause the IRN to rise. Anybody know what else can cause INR to vary (and which way does it vary) Another Q: my cardio thinks the dosage formulas are fairly simple and that a home tester could probably monitor himself with only occasional check-in with doc. Any experience with this ?

Please look at my website www.warfarinfo.com There are about 180 pages of information there. Mainly it consists of what makes INRs go up and down.

Warfarin is fairly easy to monitor. You will probably have about 10,000 people wanting to know the name of your cardiologist. Most don't want their patients finding out about how simple it is!!!

Self Testing

Self Testing

Right on. My cardiologist handed me an application to purchase a Coaguchek on my first post op visit. He said its simple to regulate
the INR with it and he recommends for all patients he thinks can use it. Any body who can get to this website should qualify. I found my dose of Coumadin in the first two weeks which incidentally was much lower than that originally prescribed and it has been stable for four years. 19 mgm/week. I test every 3 or 4 weeks and always check out around INR 3.0. Al's website answers all questions. So checkout Coaguchek from Roche and Protime who sponsor this website. Protime gives great support and Roche also has a 24/7 number. Self testing can eventually lead to self regulation which my cardiologist also encourages.

Dr. Marty

Dr. Marty

My Cardiologist approved my Protime a month after VR...I test ( Not too often, cause you told me not to:D )...I always call his office and tell Ashley, his cute clinical nurse)..on her voice machine and she always calls back the same day and says ...Stay on same dosage call in a month. I have never received a bill from my health provider so this is a free service from his office:) Thanks for being on line for us..You are SUPER:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) Bonnie

I have developed a set of dosing algorithms, showing what to do to maintain an INR in the desired range. They are printed in color on 100 pound cardstock. I sell them through my website for $4.95. If anyone is interested in purchasing one, send me an e-mail. [email protected]

Samoa Cookhouse

Samoa Cookhouse

Going back several messages I would like to recomend the Samoa Cookhouse near Eureka, California. It used to be the cookhouse for the loggers, now they serve the public the same food the same way. No choice of the menu, but lots of good food, and a great price. It made my per-diem go far when I was working up there; I could get away with one meal a day...

Now I understand. . .

Now I understand. . .

Now I understand the connection John and Swill seem to hint at -- it is the food to patient connection. The more we eat, the more weight we gain or keep. It isn't just the french fries, although they do call to me every now and then. Pretty simple. . . or is it? I've been lucky and never had to worry about losing much weight -- only 5 pounds here and there, but my whole family has been fighting it forever. Too bad there's no healthy medical method of weight loss, only last-chance surgical stuff like stapling the stomach (which I hear is as bad as OHS). And I do have strong feelings of compassion for those who were victimized by that monster PhenFen (sp?).

Food connection

Food connection

I never thought that I had too much weight, until I saw a picture of me taken last summer that was very unflattering. I've been successful at taking 30 lbs off, and have just 20 more to go. While I used to be able to eat like that, I am no longer as active as I once was. I figured I quit smoking, I can loose the weight...

Tee tomorrow

Tee tomorrow

Thanks, Bonnie, I will. I'm home recovering from a cold today. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to have the TEE done because of the cold, but the Cardio's nurse said 'No problem'. I was fretting that I would have to delay this test, which would delay setting up the surgery...

As Garfield says "I am not overweight, I am undertall"

Good luck tomorrow.

Swill

Swill

Is that a redwood tree behind you..Looks like the Muir Forest.Are you Paul Buyuon Sp?:D :D I lost all spelling sense after AVR..:p Really use that for an excuse now. Bonnie

Camp Tamarancho

Camp Tamarancho

Close, Bonnie. It is Camp Tamarancho, the Boy/Cub Scout camp in Marin County. Muir Woods isn't too far away. I'll try to remember to attach the whole picture one day, after I reduce it's resolution. You'll also see my youngest, as the picture was taken on the last day of the Cub Scout camp I ran last summer...

post antibiotic recovery

post antibiotic recovery

I'm currently fighting an infection and am taking erythromycin. I understand how the antibiotic affects the INR and why. Does anyone know how long it typically takes for the bacteria in the colon to resume their normal status after quitting antibiotic so the INR will drop back to normal levels ? I'm curious so I'll know about when to adjust coumadin dosage and get the next INR measurement.

Latest posts

Back