I know nothing about coumadin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Andrea

I am continually hearing how 'horrible' coumadin is and that it has bad affects on people, but what affects exactly? What are the main downfalls of Coumadin?

I know my main downfall is that at 31 I will not be able to have anymore children. But what else should I be concerned about? If someone can summarize coumadin in a nutshell I would be so appreciative

Coumadin isn't really as bad as it sounds. Basically you pop a pill in the morning(or whenever you usually decide to take it), and once every couple of weeks you go to a lab(unless you get a protime machine) and get your INR tested. the nurse will call you with the results and adjust to whatever is needed. YOu need to tell anyone who is going to be doing a procedure on you that you are on coumadin, and it is a good idea to wear a medic alert thing that tells EMS people you take coumadin. THat's about it. Oh, and dental--tell your dentist you are on coumadin. It's not as bad as it seems after you get used to it. good luck, there will be someone else to come along and give you more info. I am fairly new to it too.

Brother takes it and seems to have no ill effects - it is as Joy said. But you need to educate yourself about it as it does require some diet adjustments. And you HAVE to get it checked as dr orders.

Hi Andrea-

Welcome to this terrific site. As far as Coumadin goes, don't fret about it. My husband has been on it for 25 years. It's really no big deal to him, and is the very least of his medical worries. He's never had a major problem from Coumadin in all those years. I really don't understand why there is so much bad hype about the drug.

Please go to warfarinfo.com, as Ross mentioned. That's the best info you could want about Coumadin.

The thing that many people don't like about it is that you have to have bloodwork done frequently because it's a little tricky to adjust, but after a while it becomes a mindless routine. You go, get tested, take the dosage that they tell you, and then forget about it until the next test.

Don't let fear of Coumadin ruin your life. Just make sure you have a doctor who understands a lot about the proper dosing of the drug.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I agree with the others.
I've been on Coumadin for almost seven years and it has been no problem whatsoever.
Like Nancy said where do these stories come from.

Many of the stories come from the fact that this drug was discovered before there was a pharmaceutical industry. So they did not know to determine a dose. Therefore, they made it into a rat poison -- as long as you get too much the dose doesn't really matter here.

Then up until about 1990, its monitoring was not well understood. Some of the older techniques they use resulted in people being kept at INRs of around 8. So of course they bled.

Andrea, is your mitral regurgitation due to the use of Phen-fen? If so, you may be able to still get into the settlement of the lawsuit that could provide you some money. Look into it right away, if this was the cause, there may be an upcoming deadline.

Andrea

Andrea

I just looked at your Web Page and you stated that you are a major Java drinker..as in coffee?..It is 3 years old so I do hope you have weaned yourself off of it....Was just reading Swill's post about how his Card. told him to quit drinking coffee......I'm sure you will be put on some post-surgery meds that will not let you drink coffee..such as b/p..ect..but then I'm not a doctor..:p Now, almost 11 months post-op I allow myself a cup in the morning..with milk......I have been on coumadin since my OHS..and no problem..Gums had to have a good cleaning but stayed on coumadin for it.....Never seen a bruise...Ross and I got kitten's at the same time 6 months ago and first few weeks we looked like we had been in the Briar Patch:D They used our legs for climbing poles.:p You need to read Knightfan's Web..He is a rock music buff...4 weeks will fly by..Get your bed set up..Body pillow from WalMart..close to bathroom..buy yourself a pill box that has the days, ect. The first few weeks you will have lots of meds..then taper off..You will be fine. Where are you having your surgery? Bonnie

The web page is a few years old and I dont drink much coffee anymore. Maybe two cups a morning but I can cut that down :rolleyes: . I am having my surgery at Thunderbird Sam in Phoenix Az. My surgeon is based out of Sun City (retirement suburb) and is excellent. My Mom was a charge nurse on the SICU a few years back and know him and my Cardiologist very well. This is going to sound really bad but will I have to give up McDonalds and Chinese food ??!! My BP is always low... does that help? lol I cant live without my french fries!!!!

Eat what you want in moderation. We wouldn't want you to be sueing MickeyD's because you got fat. :D

Food

Food

When my taste buds came back after a few weeks..ALL I wanted was a Windy's Cheeseburger..Lost 14 lbs. after surgery..Gained back 20:mad: :mad: I eat anything I want..just check my Protime every 3 weeks..Bonnie

Gained back 20?

Gained back 20?

Dealing with Ross..Not walking enough. Wuss when it comes to cold weather..Having a few beers at night:p :p Hubby keeps taking me out everyday for good Southern lunches ..Today..Brunswick Stew a huge Bar-be-cue Pork sandwich and French Fries..Bill Aldridge better not be on line as he and I are supporting one another to lose weigh:p And tonight..A Roast Beef. carrots and potatoes...:D :D Lordy, I'm going to look like a whale at the pool this summer.:mad: :mad: I keep saying Tomorrow....Bonnie

Poor Ross, even his "quote" subroutine gets things messed up. Or Bonnie's posts have a "subliminal" component. Darn

And, of course, as usual I am stalking you Bon. I sent you an email recently about how I was trying to help you lose that weight. I thought it was working. We are dieting together. You are LOSING it and I am finding it and carrying it away for you.

Keep on working on it a day at a time.

B

Billy Bob

Billy Bob

I figured you were stalking me.....:D I'm just kidding..Had a slim-fast for breakfast and lunch..and a salad tonight.;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) And how much weight have you lost? Fess up:p :p :p Skinny= Minnie

I telled ya, I am finding all that you are losing. I be a baaadddd boy. Senior buffets at low prices do me in.

Senior or not, buffets are great! But one good thing about buffets is that they usually have a great salad bar and you can grab 'alittle' portion of something sinfull then load up on salad and baked fish or something :)

I'm just hoping I lose some weight post-op as I have gained about 15 recently just worrying and stuffing my face :( Maybe I could get a small fry from McDs and then go hit 'Souper Salad' or 'Sweet Tomatoes' :D

I've lost almost 30 pounds doing Weight Watchers, and have another 25 to go. The upcoming surgery has been an inspiration to me. That and a very unflattering profile picture that I keep above my desk. All the others at the WW meetings were upset with me, that I was the only one that was taking it off at about 2 lbs a week. They were upset, that is, until I told them about the surgery, and that I didn't want to have to deal with the weight along wth the recovery.

Andrea has it right. Go to the buffet and get tastes of the reallly good stuff, then load up on the stuff that's good for you...

Will

Just a brief note that Joann has been on coumadin due to valve replacement for 32 years. She also has the same weight when I wish that I could say that too.

John for Joann in SW Florida for the winter.

I get a lot of messages from people blaming things on warfarin but an interaction with french fries has never been one of them.

Latest posts

Back