I have dates to pick from!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67walkon

Either July 9 or the week of July 23. I get to pick. Actually, my wife and I get to pick. Part of me says earlier and part of me says later.

I'm 57. They recommend, and I agree, one of the 3d generation pig valves. I also have to get my ascending aorta replaced and they are going to do a maze procedure while they are in there.

The sleeping thing and back issues are worrying me right now. My back is stiff when I wake up now, and we have a really good bed. It loosens up after a little bit, but I can't imagine what it will be like after laying in surgery for however many hours it will take to do this stuff. I guess the drugs will keep it at bay for the first day or so.

The surgeon says the maze will add about 30 minutes to the procedure. Does anyone know how long that means I will be on the heart lung machine?

This is one of those things no one looks forward to, but I sure look forward to it being a memory rather than something that is going to happen!

I'm not quite as scared as I was a week or so ago, but I am finding it very difficult to focus on work.

John

Go with July 9 (don't I sound assertive?:D )
The waiting is the worst part, IMHO. Once you've got things ready to go, the extra wait just makes it harder on you, and everyone around you.

Glad you have a choice of dates and agree with Mary- the sooner the better as far as anxiety is concerned. If I remember right, Dick was on bypass for 106 minutes. Many here have spent a good many nights in a reclining chair and that could help the back as well.

Mary said:
Go with July 9 (don't I sound assertive?:D )
The waiting is the worst part, IMHO. Once you've got things ready to go, the extra wait just makes it harder on you, and everyone around you.

Mary is soooooooooooooooooo right. The wait is very worst part.

I remember being incredibly excited the day of the surgery knowing that it was about to be over.

But, ultimately, your gut and schedule will help you make the call.

All the best developing a plan.

Adam

It is now looking like July 6. The date will be confirmed tomorrow!

As apprehensive as I am, it is a relief to have something finalized.

Pre-op will be on the 5th, so, if things go right, I'll have a nice little 20 to 30 mile bike ride the morning of the 5th, drive the 4 hours to Shands and take it from there.

My wife wants us to fly to her mom's lake house in Indiana on July 28 or 29 for a week. Is that going to be doable?

67walkon said:
It is now looking like July 6. The date will be confirmed tomorrow!

As apprehensive as I am, it is a relief to have something finalized.

Pre-op will be on the 5th, so, if things go right, I'll have a nice little 20 to 30 mile bike ride the morning of the 5th, drive the 4 hours to Shands and take it from there.

My wife wants us to fly to her mom's lake house in Indiana on July 28 or 29 for a week. Is that going to be doable?

Probably not.: But maybe!:p (

I've had 2 OHS and my recollection is that I never experienced more than some mild to moderate 'chest discomfort' each time. (Coughing, Sneezing, and Laughing can 'get your attention', however!)

I have a VIVID recollection of Back Muscle PAIN following the second surgery due to how I was pulled / positioned.

What I learned from that experience is that MASSAGE is FASTER and BETTER than any Pain Medication at relieving Muscle Pain. My S.O. used a "Vibrating Disk" Massager which would loosen those tight muscles in a minute or so.

Some of our young athletic types might have been up for a flight after 3 weeks but this guy didn't want to go very far down the block only 3 weeks post op (when I was around your age)!

OHS saps your energy like nothing you've ever experienced before, putting most of it into healing your sternum. At 6 weeks, your sternum should be back to about 85% of it's previous strength. It will take another 6 weeks to reach 100%. Barring complications, most patients can return to Light Work after 6 to 8 weeks. Many surgeons prefer that you NOT Drive for 6 weeks but some will relent to LIMITED Daytime Driving after 4 weeks, primarily to go for checkups with your Doctor(s).

'AL Capshaw'

The surgeon's lady, Diane, thinks going on the plane will be a non-issue. She said going to the lake would be a good thing for me and my wife--she says my wife will really need the break and it will help keep me from going stir crazy.

I guess I could cancel the trip and let my wife and 16 year old son go without me. Right now, our 24 year old daughter is staying with us, finishing up her rotations to graduate from Physician's Assistant school, so she would be around if my wife and son go and I stay.

It is a relief to have a date!

I think you should avoid any date which happens around the 4th of July. It's a popular vacation week. being in the hospital for ANYTHING during a vacation scenario is terrible. Regular, tried and true nurses may not be there, even your doctor and surgeon might be taking off right after your surgery, and that is the WORST.

IMHO you should go later in the month.

Nancy, that's a scary thought. His office said Friday is a good day because the ICU is always fully staffed on the weekends.

They didn't get back to me today after I told them July 6 was good. I may bring that up with them.

Does anyone else have thoughts on that?

Thanks.

Nancy said:
I think you should avoid any date which happens around the 4th of July. It's a popular vacation week. being in the hospital for ANYTHING during a vacation scenario is terrible. Regular, tried and true nurses may not be there, even your doctor and surgeon might be taking off right after your surgery, and that is the WORST.

IMHO you should go later in the month.

Nancy do you remember don't new residents tend to start in July too?

Oh yeah! But at least they are willing to try to do something (eager beavers, so nice and polite and with good bedside manner), and they probably have to have supervision (read older knowledgeable docs). I can bet that they wouldn't want a BAD thing to happen on their watch, so would go running to their supervisor right away. So that isn't too bad a thing as long as they aren't fiddling around with your body too much. Just listening and poking.

But the lack of good nurses and the loss of your doc might be a very BAD thing.

So ask your doctor if he is planning vacation time after your surgery, and if his regular nurses will be there and not fill in ones.

Nancy said:
Oh yeah! But at least they are willing to try to do something (eager beavers, so nice and polite and with good bedside manner), and they probably have to have supervision (read older knowledgeable docs). I can bet that they wouldn't want a BAD thing to happen on their watch, so would go running to their supervisor right away. So that isn't too bad a thing as long as they aren't fiddling around with your body too much. Just listening and poking.

But the lack of good nurses and the loss of your doc might be a very BAD thing.

Thanks , you made me chuckle with that mental picture, I needed that. they do tend to look alot more fresh and well rested and eager in the beginning of July compared to June. (I needed that chuckle, Justin wants Turk from scrubs to be his resident)

BUT this brings up another good question, IF you are going to a teaching hospital, be sure to ask the surgeon who opens and closes and IF he is always in the OR room.

I had my surgery on Thursday, spent the weekend with the weekend staff in the hospital and left monday morning..no problems. I don't know if I would have flown 3 weeks post op, but see how you feel...no luggage lifting!

He says he is there all the time, and frankly, I don't really care who opens and closes, so long as they are really careful and well supervised. A fellow might be more careful than a more experienced guy on something like that.

I fear not , especially after reading Eddie's post sugery post!

67walkon said:
Nancy, that's a scary thought. His office said Friday is a good day because the ICU is always fully staffed on the weekends.

They didn't get back to me today after I told them July 6 was good. I may bring that up with them.

Does anyone else have thoughts on that?

Thanks.
John

Hmmm...they may have a point. Check to see if the surgeon is in town over the weekend and into the next week. If yes, I'd say go for it. If the surgeon is going to be away, you MIGHT think about a date where he'd be available for that first week after surgery.

Fast Eddie

Eddie, I'll check. But since July 9 was a date they first suggested, I'm fairly sure he'll be there. I think the scheduling person's point was that if you have to be in any hospital over a weekend, she believes the ICU is better for the weekend because it is always 100% staffed while the regular ward might have people on vacation or something.

67walkon said:
Eddie, I'll check. But since July 9 was a date they first suggested, I'm fairly sure he'll be there. I think the scheduling person's point was that if you have to be in any hospital over a weekend, she believes the ICU is better for the weekend because it is always 100% staffed while the regular ward might have people on vacation or something.

Eddie's got a good point.

Walkon, ICU staff go on vacation too. They'll be staffed, but typically seniority gets holidays off. In addition, if the ER is busy with holiday traumas, it will affect the ICU. You want your surgeon there to advocate for HIS patients.

My husband's worked in critical care since the late 70's . . . believe me when I say I know something about this!:p

This is the weekend after July 4, not the weekend of July. July 4 is a Wednesday, surgery is scheduled for the following Friday.

The surgeon's office called about something else and assured me he would be there all weekend and the next week.

Unless I want to wait until the summer is over, I'm sure there is a risk of someone being on vacation. On the other hand, if I delay too long and end up dying that isn't very good. Or even if I delay too long and don't get to pick the sugery date, it could be Christmas eve or New Years or whatever.

I'm okay with the date, now that I'm sure the surgeon will be there the whole time I am there.

Latest posts

Back