I had a colonoscopy today without coming off warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bvdr

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Several weeks ago I had a pretty bad bout of diverticulitis and a lot of bleeding, fever, and a white blood count over 20,000. Two weeks of antibiotics cleared it up but still needed a few weeks time to finish healing before a colonoscopy could be done. We had discussed warfarin and whether or not I should come off of it for the procedure. I showed her the article Al Lowick posted for us on the topic. She read it and mentioned that the "clip" mentioned in the article really is expensive....maybe as much as $1,000.00.

Anyway, she was real receptive to leaving me on warfarin and I made sure I was at the lower side of my range.

It went real well. I did have a couple of IV antibiotics prior to the surgery and she did do biopsies of a couple areas and didn't expect I would have any problems with that....and I haven't had. So if you need to have this procedure it can be and is done under the right conditions without the patient coming off anti-coagulation.

She has been my GI doc for about 5 1/2 years and I've really grown to like her. We have a good doctor/patient relationship which also makes it easy to discuss pros and cons of treatments/procedures.

If you recall, I also had mine done full anticoagulated with two polyps removed. Yes, it can be done. Hopefully you didn't have anything of concern as far as the biopsies went. My doc told me straight up that he was 98% sure that mine were not cancerous. He was right!

Betty,

I had my first colonoscopy done a couple months ago and my surgeon also left me fully anticoagulated. I asked for a virtual colonoscopy and he said, not necessarry as you can stay on Warfarin while we do the procedure. I had no problems at all. No polyps were seen, just a Polypoid and that was removed a couple weeks later at the Gastroenterology office without any problems.

If you recall, I also had mine done full anticoagulated with two polyps removed. Yes, it can be done. Hopefully you didn't have anything of concern as far as the biopsies went. My doc told me straight up that he was 98% sure that mine were not cancerous. He was right!

Now that you mention it, I do remember. I didn't have any polyps but I had some ulcers that she biopsied. She thinks they may have been "remnants of event in 04/09 ?). Did I mention that I already had a copy of my procedure report in hand when they wheeled me out to the car? They have a new system that I think I'm going to like.

Betty,

I had my first colonoscopy done a couple months ago and my surgeon also left me fully anticoagulated. I asked for a virtual colonoscopy and he said, not necessarry as you can stay on Warfarin while we do the procedure. I had no problems at all. No polyps were seen, just a Polypoid and that was removed a couple weeks later at the Gastroenterology office without any problems.

Did you come off your warfarin for the polypoid? (I have to go look that up to find out what it is.)

It's always good to get these first-hand experiences! Thanks for letting us know Betty. I'm still procrastinating on my Age 50 baseline colonoscopy.

It's always good to get these first-hand experiences! Thanks for letting us know Betty. I'm still procrastinating on my Age 50 baseline colonoscopy.

Get your BUTT in there woman! :D The prep sucks, but hey, why risk it? (cancer that is, not your butt)

They arranged for me to have CT colonography which was instead of a colonoscopy, pumped me full of air and dye and I had to have the same preparation. Unless they need a biopsy this method ought to be fine. The benefits are that they get a good view of various organs at the same time, showed that I have kidney stones again as well as diverticular disease.

Did you come off your warfarin for the polypoid? (I have to go look that up to find out what it is.)

Betty,

No, I didn't come off Warfarin and it required a 10 minute procedure at the Gastroenterology office. I felt fine and went shopping afterwards. No bleeding and it just required one stitch. When the anesthesia wore off I could feel it though and felt a bit of discomfort for a few days. I always assumed it was a hemorrhoid but it wasn't. I was glad to get rid of the thing.
If I understand it correctly a Polypoid is a benign growth/mass.

Interesting. When I had mine done a yr ago, I went off warfarin and started lovenox shots a few days before the procedure. All went very well. I had alot of bruising from the shots.
They do hurt!

Latest posts

Back