I am Live Blogging My Surgery!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's up Jordan -- to answer your question, you probably won't gain that much weight during recovery, because when your appetite does return, you'll probably be eating smaller-than-normal portions, and most people even lose their sweet tooth as well (I certainly did, but it came back eventually :))

Also, if you play the recovery game right by doing your breathing exercises regularly and walking around as much as you can, you shouldn't see much of any weight gain at all.

I was 21 when I had my aortic and mitral valves replaced (now 25) and I pushed myself everyday (was actually up walking the same day of the surgery). After leaving the hospital, I was stretching and walking everyday, and eventually graduated to a 30 minute jog on the treadmill. Was driving again after two weeks and playing my drums around the same time.

I'm curious -- what kind of bike do you have? I just picked up a Cannondale CAAD9 a month ago and I'm loving it.

Quick question — I'm physically fit, and a bit worried that all the downtime is going to lead me to gaining weight. What has been your experience with this? Have you gained weight or lost it in the weeks following surgery?

I don't know if you remeberred you kind of asked this before and got a few answers http://www.valvereplacement.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32352
FWIW Justin never really had any changes, from any of his surgeries. How did you do after your last surgery when you were a teen?

I've been reading your blog and just want you to know that you will be in my thougts and prayers tomorrow. I am 13 weeks out from the same surgery and have been back to normal activity level since about 6 weeks post op. You'll do great. Having been through it before has to add some stress to anticipating this. Wishing you the best of luck and lots of good meds to make you comfy. I am enjoying your writing. I am the mom of a large family and my older kids are right around your age. Your perspective on things makes me smile. I'll be checking for an update. God bless.

Jordan,
Sending you many good wishes and prayers for a good bump free surgery....see you on the other side of the mountain!...Godspeed...

From a fellow NY'r....

Hey all,

so I've been updating the site, but haven't come back here. Can only mentally handle so much :).

I'm four days out of surgery, and home. I'm feeling a lot better, but let me tell you, that was painful! Though, not that I need to tell you, which is what I like about this place - you all get it!

I appreciate the thoughts and comments, and if i'll hang around here to update on my recovery, and to answer people's questions - so close out of surgery, i probably can answer a lot of stuff you're wondering about for your own surgery!

I'm glad you are Home, I KNOW you'll feel much better. Are you staying with your parents in the beginning or do you have someone around to help? I don't know why some hospitals put up a fuss if you want to wear your own clothes, I know Justin wouldn't be a big fan of wearing the gowns after the first day post op. I enjoy reading your blog, but glad to see you posting here

i'm staying with my parents for two weeks or so. living with just a 23-year old roommate in a third floor walkup in a brownstone in brooklyn would have not been so good.

thanks for the good wishes, im glad im back, too!

question, actually — at what point did you really feel like your recovery turned a corner and that you were much better?

and did you all get sore backs as a result of being bed ridden? how long did that take to go away?

question, actually — at what point did you really feel like your recovery turned a corner and that you were much better?

and did you all get sore backs as a result of being bed ridden? how long did that take to go away?

I can't help with the 1st question, 10 days after Justin's last OHS he had another surgery, so...

BUT many(most?) have sore backs for a while, it has more to do with how they have you stretched open for hours as they operate than the bed rest. Justin liked to have the shower warm on his back and getting someone to massage (sitting not laying on your stomache) your beck, shoulders back seems to help alot, I'm not talking about going to a person, just family/ friend types seems to help.
What valve did you end up getting?

i'm staying with my parents for two weeks or so. living with just a 23-year old roommate in a third floor walkup in a brownstone in brooklyn would have not been so good.

thanks for the good wishes, im glad im back, too!

I was hoping you were w/ your parents, I think that sounds like the best place ( since I'm the Mom) especially since you live in a walk up.

Justin,
Everyone heals differently, my back hurt only until I was able to walk more. You have your youth going for you, however stay with Mom for a while, when you get back here (Brooklyn), will you be set up with all you need or will you have to go out grocery shopping and up and down carrying packages? That's going to hurt after 2 weeks.
Well there are always the take out menu's.......Don't rush your recovery...

Linda....

At about 4 weeks -- to some degree. I apparently had a viral infection @ 3-3.5 weeks. Was ill Tuesday-Thursday. Went to Dr. on Friday morning. By Friday morning, I felt much better, but still had blood work + blood cultures done. Nothing found.
I felt a little better by then, but it was another 2-3 weeks that I was able to really move my arms and upper body more easily.

Back wasn't sore because of being bedridden. It was due to the position you're in for a sternotomy. I have joked that I felt like a "flailed chicken" afterward.

Yeah, i plan on being here with my parents for the next two weeks at least, if not three. At that point i might go crazy with boredom!

i can get groceries delivered after going to the store down the street, and ill pretty much have everything ill need for about a week. i've got some good friends who can help out if needed, though i'm sure my parents will come as often as possible. i'm lucky!

i cant imagine having to get another surgery 10 days later - i dont know if i could do it. not again in my lifetime, let alone 10 days!

so catwoman, was the sickness related to any infection that came from OHS? that's the last thing you deserve after OHS. everyone who has this should have a free health card for a long time!

Yeah, i plan on being here with my parents for the next two weeks at least, if not three. At that point i might go crazy with boredom!

i can get groceries delivered after going to the store down the street, and ill pretty much have everything ill need for about a week. i've got some good friends who can help out if needed, though i'm sure my parents will come as often as possible. i'm lucky!

i cant imagine having to get another surgery 10 days later - i dont know if i could do it. not again in my lifetime, let alone 10 days!

so catwoman, was the sickness related to any infection that came from OHS? that's the last thing you deserve after OHS. everyone who has this should have a free health card for a long time!

Oh I'm sure you could get thru it if you had too, you've had 3 OHS so far. He ended up having an infection in his sternum and under it & around his heart. So they had to open him ,take away the infection and the parts of his sternum that were to use the technicall term the surgeon used "mush". Since they had to remove all but his top wire, they had to move his right peck muscle (he's left handed) and wrap it around his sternum to help it heal, and then 6 weeks of antibiotics. The good part was the bacterial was suspectible to an antibiotic he could take in a pill form, so at least he didn't have to have a picline and IV for 6 weeks (he did THAT when he was 11 and not a fan)

So glad to hear you are home and recovering. I remember feeling like I kind of turned a corner around 3-4 weeks although I was still recovering. Be careful when you get that feeling that you turn a corner because that's when many of us overdo it and end up taking a few steps back. When you feel better just rest and enjoy it for a while and don't risk doing too much. I'm glad the hard part is behind you. Take care.

Latest posts

Back