I am home from the ablation...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Praline

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I had my ablation done on Wednesday. The easiest procedure I have ever been through was this ablation. I got there Wednesday morning, was greeted by a very cheerful nurse, and was led to a room as big as most hotel room. They stared an IV, took my temperature and my blood pressure. The electrophysiologist who was going to do the procedure came in to talk to me. He said he knew I was nervous but that was normal. He discussed the risks but said that serious complications were extremely rare.

They left me alone for a little while. Then someone came and he introduced himself and said he was going to take me to the electrophysiology lab. On the way to the lab, he told me that he would be the one to sedate me. In the lab,they had me scoot over to the narrow table then they proceded with covering me with all kinds of patches, all the time chatting with me. They had me chuckling ..they said I was not very big, they were running out of space for the patches.

Then the first guy who came to get me said he was going to sedate me. And that was it!!! I woke up about 5 hours later. The ablation was done. They wheeled me back to my room where some friends from school were all waiting for me. I spent the night and was released the next day.

But of course, being me, that would be too simple if there were no problems. I got home , took a nap and woke up 2 hours later burning up. I had a 101.4 temperature. I called the doctor and they said to go to the emergengy room.
My friend took me. When I got to the ER, they took my temperature and it was normal. I think the nurse thought I lost my mind. But an hour later, I was running a temperature again. I was in the emergengy room from 2:30 PM to about 9:00 PM until they got me a room and readmitted me. But it was not that bad , I was in a room in a bed in the ER with many doctors/residents cheching up on me. They took tons of blood and started an IV.
When I finally got a room in the cadiac unit they loaded me with antibiotics through the IV and I spent the night. I had 2 more rounds of antiobiotics in the morning and I was released at about 5:00 PM. I was sent home with more antibiotics to take by mouth. They never could find why I was running a temperature. I had "a few" bacteria in my urine but the doctor was doubtful that is was enough to cause the fever. The place in the groin where they went in with the pacing wires/catheters is not even red. It is not sore. It is not bruised. I am surprised because the ablation was done on coumadin. My INR was 2.2..

I feel fine. The ablation got rid of the Atrial Flutter. I am in sinus rhythm. I can go back to work Monday. Just no lifting. I can drive today.:D

So glad you are in normal sinus rhythm again :) And what a clear description of your experience. Best wishes :)

Praline,
Except for the "small" detour it sounds like you are doing great. Glad you are in Sinus Rhythm- it is a nice feeling isn't it? I agree with Lily, well told story. Keep us posted.
Best
John

congrats.gif

Praline,

I'm glad the procedure went so easily and you are back in sinus rhythm. I'm sorry that you had the strange complication. I can't imagine what it was, but it seems that they took care of it . . . yay!
Rest up, the holidays are ahead of us.:)

So happy to hear that you made it through your procedure, bumps & all! You're one strong lady!

And your indepth description of it, will certainly help ease some of the tension others may be feeling before undergoing the procedure!

Stay well! :)

Congrats on the easy procedure. Its good to hear it went so well as I am having my ablation on Tuesday. Im nervous as well. I have a bit higher chance of risk though because of my heart disease. They explained to me that during the procedure they will go through the wall separating the right and left atria making 2 small holes to get to the left atria but I do not have a wall there. Mine is a patch because my first surgery was and Atrial septal defect repair so they will be going through the patch. He reassured me that hes had about 12 patients hes had this with and none have had any complications. It is so good to hear that you are in NSR, I am hoping to have the same results. I know after the first cardioversion I had I was in NSR for a few days and I felt like I was walking on air! I cannot wait to feel that again! Best of luck staying that way!

To Tara:
It looks like your ablation will be more complicated than mine. They did not have to cross over to the other atrium for mine. But my friend's husband had an ablation last week in Boston, MA, and they did have to cross over to the other atrium. I talked to him this morning and he is doing just fine. He feels really good. Your doctor seems to be experieced in your particular problem. That is good. I will pray for you and your doctor's hands.

Hi Praline, glad you are doing better.
( I would also be one of those people who would get fever etc after any procedure)
My pre-op heart cath threw me for a loop and I had to stay in hospital over night.

So happy to hear that you made it through your procedure, bumps & all! You're one strong lady!
I really did not have to be strong. I was in lala land for the whole thing. LOL As for the temperature episode that lionheart called "a small detour", I seem to always end up with a "detour" for some reason.

I really did not have to be strong. I was in lala land for the whole thing. LOL As for the temperature episode that lionheart called "a small detour", I seem to always end up with a "detour" for some reason.

Praline,
I'll bet you are the adventurous type, always looking for the scenic route. LOL

Here's hoping that you stay the straight and narrow route and that any heart future heart issues are uneventful.

Take care,
John

Latest posts

Back