How to research cardiologists?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bassadict69

If a patient (my dad) will not be able to see a cardio for a first visit for a couple of weeks, is there any way to research cardiologists without actual office visits?

I have looked everywhere I know to look on the internet, but I cannot come up with much more than names, schools attended, etc.

First decide how important bedside manner is. Then ask your friends. One cardio (with stellar credentials) that we liked just fine had a horrible PA who acted like she needed to be somewhere else 35 minutes ago and clearly did not like taking the time to answer our questions -- so my husband changed docs. So, there is more to the equation than just education.

You could ask some nurses that work on a cardiac wing of the hospital in your area I'm sure you could get some suggestions.

Thanks Chris!

Our family is definately accustomed to a doc with a bedside manner since we have always used a family doc in a small town that would ALWAYS take the time to come into your room, pull up a chair, explain everything extensively, answer any questions, then spend a few minutes chit-chatting asking about the rest of the family, etc. However, we do not expect to find anyone even close to that with this. We do expect a doc to spend enough time in the room to explain things fully & answer questions.

So, do you mean just go into the cardiac wing of a couple of our hospitals & ask a few questions at the nurses station?

Many years ago when my GP had ordered an echo for me, I asked the echo tech which of the two cardios she would recommend.
She said that she could not refer one over the other, but she definitely "hinted" at her choice.

That is a good question and one that I had a lot of difficulty with as well. In reality, it's hard to kniow where to go find the information where "the best" professional is in any occupation, particularly the medical field.

In your local community, you could ask you trusted friends and co-workers who they have used and the pros and cons of each doctor. Particularly those that are in the medical field. Believe me, the nurses that work in the hospital setting know who the good docs are and bad ones as they see the results, failures and responsiveness of each doctor. You can ask the state medical board about claims and allegations either via internet or phone. I have seen web sites on "how your doctor stacks up" but I've never have used them so I couldnt speak to that. Your family doc that you have trust in is in the know who would be good for you.

Once in the clinic, you instincts will tell you if this is a person who cares or they appear burnt out and too busy. You want someone, who not only knows what to do medically, but will get out of their bed at midnight (if warrented )to help in a crisis if need be. In other words, they will do the right thing. Having someone take the time to answer questions is important. If they dont have time to do this on a consistent basis, then what makes you think that they will have to take care of you in time of need.

And, as a many here on VR will attest, dont hesitate to get 2nd opinions. Sometimes 3rd. It may take several visits to different docs to get someone that you feel comfortable with.

Bina is right. Ask a nurse, or other person who works in a patient care area of the hospital. I say patient care area because not only will they know temperament, they know about their competence as well. People who work in administrative areas may know the politically correct answer, which isn't always the right answer. I don't know about the ethics of recommending one person over another, but as Bina said, you can usually figure it out from what they say (or don't say).

So, do you mean just go into the cardiac wing of a couple of our hospitals & ask a few questions at the nurses station?

I would try to network through some RNs I know to find a nurse working in CVICU or cardio wing, and then have them ask or tell the nurse I would call.

This is another good reason to think of things that are important to you -- beside manner, nice support staff, etc. -- I asked a nurse about the cardios and she said that she would recommend any of they ones I had to choose from, but then when you begin to ask questions about personality or staff they are able to give you differences between docs.

Cindy
(wife of Chris)

Latest posts

Back