How the frankenscense do you get out of bed?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregjohnsondsm

1 day home. Had the training. I can't get out or into bed alone. Pain is high. Cold sweats. It was easier with the folding hospital bed. My wonderful wife is helping but it still is not easy.
NMH taught the tuck and roll method. But my shirts twist. I end up crooked to the pillow. The pillows are in the wrong place. I try to sleep for the few hours when the pain meds are golden. But then awake with killer beck and shoulder pain.
What is the trick?

Hi Greg - sleeping can be a pain after surgery. I slept on our sofa, primalrily because it has a very supportive back rest so with big cushions I was sitting/resting/dozing more or less upright in a similar position to when I was in the hospital folding bed. Our sofa is also an easier height, easier than a hospital bed too I might add.To get into 'bed' was this - sit down on the sofa with my behind fairly near the pillows, then swing round so my legs are on the sofa and very gently shuffle backwards until I'm in the right position - the balancing act was to sit down in just the right place at the start so I didn't need to do much shuffling as that wasn't comfortable. I had to sleep this way for about six weeks and then I found I oculd lie down properly for a few hours a night and that increased very fast then and I was then able to get back into a regular bed which was bliss. I had my mobile phone beside me so I could phone my husband (upstairs in bed) during the night if I needed him. I hope you find a way - it's awful being tired on top of everything.

Getting out of bed/sofa was a matter of turning so my feet were on the floor and then I just stood up - again the lower hight of the sofa as compared to hospital bed made that easier.

Greg

I had a rope tied to the bed frame at the foot of the bed and used that to pull myself forward to sitting

That is what they do in hospitals here.

Keep the elbows tucked in tight to your side, use only bicep and abs

Hey pellicle. Where is over here? Are you from Boston?: )
I've been reading some old posts and recliner seems to be the big winner. Or $20k hospital bed. Tried the wedge pillow tonight. It is with its wrappings in the corner of the hotel room. Too hard not adjustable and unsteady.
I'm ready for a 4 hour uninterrupted sleep. What a. Dream!

Queensland Australia

The rope really works, its also much safer for your sternum than a hanging handle.

Keep the elbows tucked in :)

Tuck & roll
Yes it's pain full, but it will get better honest.
Getting out of bed: Hug yourself tight, right hand on left shoulder, left hand on right shoulder and hold tight.
Slowly inch your way to the edge of the bed by moving your 'butt'. Get your legs over the edge of the bed, this will help you get onto your side then tuck your feet under the bed frame and lift/pull with legs while keeping your back straight. One foot of course will be closer to the floor than the other, use this leg/foot to start the upward motion. Sounds tricky but it worked for me and my S/O other was there to help me "up" but I did most of the work with my legs, they were just there to help me get past that 45degree.

Getting into bed was easier than getting out, getting comfortable is another story.

I remember that!
I spent about the first month or so sleeping in a recliner I had moved to the bedroom prior to my surgery. Never had to lay flat. When I did finally go to "bed", I had a heck of a time. We have a very high bed. (18 + inches below it) It will get better tho.
HOWEVER, It was a solid month before I did that thing that causes you to take a deep breath, forces air out of your nose and after which, people say "bless you". That was a BIG fear of mine. I didn't even say the work until it happened. BEWARE!
It HURTS but won't kill you!

Here's how I got out of bed. This description is for the right side of the bed, meaning the floor is on your right side when you're in bed.

Scoot over to the right as far as you can. Then turn your whole body so your feet are angled slightly off the bed. Now bring your knees up. You should be in sort of a kneeling position, but your torso is still flat in bed. Now turn onto your right hip. Now's the part where you get up without harming your sternotomy. Use the weight of your legs to pull you up vertically while also pushing with your left hand on the bed. Your left hand goes up by your right shoulder. You don't want to go crazy with the arm pushing. It's the weight of the legs that does it.

It's not easy, but it gets better. You'll fell it in your abs. If I had it to do over again, I'd practice this for a few weeks to get my abs in shape.

Thanks for all the good advice everyone. I tried staying in a hotel for a few days in Chicago. But the bed and the sofa and the chair were too uncomfortable. Last night we decided to drive back to Iowa so I could use a recliner. It was fabulous. First stretch of three hours of sleep I've had since the surgery. I'll have to work in transitioning to the bed but I can see the next few nights are going to spent in the recliner.

Freddie has it down to point-by-point instructions. That's what I started with, but being a smaller man and having been a gym rat for decades, I soon was able to just swing my legs over the side and pivot up into a sitting position.

For the first few weeks, though, I slept in a recliner. Not for reasons related to the surgery, but because my stomach was very painful, being all messed up from the pain meds during surgery. Had to be re-admitted to hospital 4 weeks later to resolve that. After that, no mobility issues, as long as I didn't over-do it.

There is another option, and it's not too late to consider it. I picked up a power adjustable bed from IKEA for a few hundred dollars. The motor was plenty strong enough to lift me to escape height, and being able to raise my feet a little too was a nice bonus. I don't think I slept truly flat for about 4 months. I've just looked, and they don't seem to offer them online any more, but they may have one in store, or you might find a used one. Sultan Langhus, I believe is the name.

I'm not sure I remember the NMH "tuck and roll." Unless it is where you sort of curl up in the fetal position, roll over onto your side and dangle your legs off the side of the bed. This is what I did for the first few weeks, until I regained enough strength and flexibility to be comfortable just getting up and out. I don't remember ever needing help to get out of bed. I sort wanted to quickly find a way in which I could help myself out of bed so that my wife wouldn't have to stay home from work just to get me into and out of bed.

I couldn't get in/out of bed by myself for about 2 weeks. I also didn't sleep flat for about 4 months. A year later, i still don't like to. As for the back pain, I can totally help you with that. My GENIUS physical therapist told me to STAND UP STRAIGHT! We have such a tendency to curl forward, inward, to protect our chest cavity, that it causes stress on our back muscles. And not just straight, "Presidential" straight! Also, whenever you are resting (recliner, bed, whatever) make sure your neck is supported. Use a small travel pillow, or a rolled up tshirt. Your head is HEAVY like a bowling ball, and your neck muscles need a break as well. Your neck muscles extend down to nearly the middle of your back. I think once you try those tow methods you will alleviate quite a bit of back pain. Good luck, each day is better, the pain won't last forever, I promise!

Latest posts

Back