How much fish oil?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KAJ

Six months ago my cardio told me to see him again in another six months. He was concerned about my blood pressure. Shortly after, my GP put me on a low sodium diet. So far I have been pretty good about limiting my salt intake. I no idea how much salt is in food.

Yesterday I showed cardio my blood pressure log. He was very pleased. He went on to review my cholesterol levels:
Cholesterol: 189
HDL (good stuff) 41
LDL (bad stuff) 107
Triglycerides:203

He increased my Zocor from 5mg/day to 10mg/day. In addition, he told me to start taking two to three tablets of fish oil each day. I was kind of suprised :confused: so I did not think to ask him about a specific amount to take. I checked a couple of stores and all I could find were 1000mg capsules. I asked a pharmacist and he suggested starting out with taking one to two. Do any of you take fish oil, and if so, how much do you take?
Cardio told me it will probably impact my INR. I thought oh wonderful. My INR has not been stable since early April. Now I get to add to the problem.

BTW - I asked cardio about a sleep aide, mentioned one Ross susggested. He said "no" and that most of them were not effecitive. He wants me to try a white noise machine and other background noises.

Thanks,
Karl

Karl,

Can't help you with the INR/Fish Oil info but I've been on Fish Oil tabs for over a year now. My GP started me out on 2 1000 mg tabs a day, one in the morning and one at night. After three months he raised that to 3 a day. I buy the Wally World Brand (Spring Valley). Make SURE you get Enteric Coated to avoid the fishy taste.:eek: They took me off Zocor a while back due to a liver spike (which was caused by the Amiodarone I was also on). He started me on Zetia (10 mg). I've watched my Carb Intake (probably not as close as I should).:eek: In March my readings were (numbers in brackets are military lab "normal" ranges):

Cholesterol 189 (0-199)
HDL 38 (35-60)
LDL 112.6 (0-129)
Triglycerides 192 (0-149)

Shortly after that lab work I added back the Zocor (40 mg) to see if that would help.

In June my readings were:

Cholesterol 147 (0-199)
HDL 42 (35-60)
LDL 69.6 (0-129)
Triglycerides 177 (1-149)

He started me on Vytorin 10/40 which is a combo pill of zetia/zocor to see how that works. My Triglycerides are still a little high but I think that is more diet than pills LOL!!! :eek: And the fact that I need to get off my butt more and walk.:eek: :eek:

Good luck on your quest.

May God Bless,

Danny :)

The studies I have read about indicated that two grams (two of the gels you mention) of fish oil would provide the maximum benefit. It needn't be an expensive brand, but the concentrations should be listed, and the oil should preferably be from wildcaught salmon, as farmed salmon have higher levels of contaminants, and the contaminants are concentrated in the oil.

Best wishes,

Fish Oil is reported to help prevent clotting and heart attacks but I do NOT believe it affects INR (you should confirm that). Aspirin, Heparin, and Lovenox also reduce clotting but do NOT affect INR because they work on different parts of the clotting mechanism.

I am on Coumadin and also take Fish Oil every day. MY (conservative) cardiologist recommended only 1000 mg per day. I would NOT recommend 3000 / day. You may want to get second and even third opinions about taking 2000 mg / day while on Coumadin. Ask AL Lodwick, your pharmacist, and other Doctors / Cardiologists.

'AL Capshaw'

Thanks guys. I definitely appreciate your suggestions :) :) :) . I was thinking that 1000mg/day was a high dosage and therefore reluctant to take it. I have to my INR checked again anyway this coming Thurs.

Karl

many people as well as doctors are confused in regards to fish oil.

most capsules are 500 to 1,000 mg of "Total" fish oil. However, that is not the therapeutic dose. Look closely at the label, and you will see DHA and EPA. These are the two long chain Omega 3 fatty acids that provide the benefits of fish oil.

We should be ingesting at least 1,000 mg of DHA and EPA combined.

So; if 1,000 mg's of fish oil supply 500 mg's of EPA and DHA combined, we need to consume enough to equal a minimum of 1,000 mgs of EPA + DHA.

EPA gives us the cardio protective benefits and anti-inflammatory benefits, and DHA gives us the neuro protective benefits.

to obtain that amount may require swallowing between 4 -8 capsules a day. For many people that is a lot, and it can cause the "fishy" burps. I recommend that my patients use a liquid.

Fish oil should not impact INR ratio. However, the EPA does work to prevent clots. The mechanism is different then cumadin.

Fish oil will help to lower triglycerides, as well as raise your HDL's. It most likely will not impact your LDL's. Diet will do that--drop the carbs and your LDL's will fall dramatically.

Carlsons is a very good brand and one teaspoon supplies almost 1,200 mgs of combined EPA and DHA. it has a pleasant lemon flavor, and does not repeat., ie., cause fishy burps.

Also, avoid "no name" or generic brands. They may not have been properly distilled to remove all the contaminants such as lead, mercury and PCB's.

An excellent book is "The Omega Zone", by Barry Sears, PhD. Dr. Sears is perhaps the words foremost authority on the benefits of fish oil.

BackDoc said:
many people as well as doctors are confused in regards to fish oil.

most capsules are 500 to 1,000 mg of "Total" fish oil. However, that is not the therapeutic dose. Look closely at the label, and you will see DHA and EPA. These are the two long chain Omega 3 fatty acids that provide the benefits of fish oil.

We should be ingesting at least 1,000 mg of DHA and EPA combined.

So; if 1,000 mg's of fish oil supply 500 mg's of EPA and DHA combined, we need to consume enough to equal a minimum of 1,000 mgs of EPA + DHA.

EPA gives us the cardio protective benefits and anti-inflammatory benefits, and DHA gives us the neuro protective benefits.

to obtain that amount may require swallowing between 4 -8 capsules a day. For many people that is a lot, and it can cause the "fishy" burps. I recommend that my patients use a liquid.

Fish oil should not impact INR ratio. However, the EPA does work to prevent clots. The mechanism is different then cumadin.

Fish oil will help to lower triglycerides, as well as raise your HDL's. It most likely will not impact your LDL's. Diet will do that--drop the carbs and your LDL's will fall dramatically.

Carlsons is a very good brand and one teaspoon supplies almost 1,200 mgs of combined EPA and DHA. it has a pleasant lemon flavor, and does not repeat., ie., cause fishy burps.

Also, avoid "no name" or generic brands. They may not have been properly distilled to remove all the contaminants such as lead, mercury and PCB's.

An excellent book is "The Omega Zone", by Barry Sears, PhD. Dr. Sears is perhaps the words foremost authority on the benefits of fish oil.

BackDoc,

You took the words right out of my fingertips!

Great post. I take some of the higher potency Omega 3's to cut down on soft gel consumption.

FYI, ever since I began taking Omega 3's, I have really noticed a difference - Less soreness and better mental focus.

Cheers,

Adam

BacDoc,

Thank you very much for the information. It will be interesting to see the difference six months from now.

,,,,, I take some of the higher potency Omega 3's to cut down on soft gel consumption.

Adam,
Is there some sort of disadvantage to taking the gel tabs?

Thanks,
Karl

Latest posts

Back