how many sternum wires do you have?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hensylee

Nobody has mentioned "how many wires do you have?" in a long time. I never did find out because I didn't know to ask my surgeon. They took an x-ray on my first visit after surgery. When you/they look at it, you will know how many sternum wires are there. Used to be much talk here in VR so I finally asked my cardio and he didn't know because it was the surgeon's bailiwick. If you want to know how many there are - ask your surgeon when you go in for your first visit after surgery. It's pretty interesting to know this. Wish I did.

I don't have any stenum wires but I have what looks like a minature squashed slinky surrounding a rib.

Are sternum wires all connected or are they seperate like most sutures? Just curious. Also, can you still feel them under your skin after you are all healed up?

I have seven of them.
Also have a copy of the x-ray that shows them.
Interesting to see those 'garbage ties', probably the least hi-tech thing in all of this.

My operative report says I have 14. Fourteen! That's a lot of wires for my 2 1/2 inch scar! This sternum is not busting open. . . :)

Betty, they aren't joined. They're like those bread ties (at least that's what my dr said they use and there are several different sorts) and are here and there along the incision. I can feel a couple bumps at the top and when I press lightly, it's tender and I guess that is probably a wire area.

I have 15

I have 15

I used to have sixteen....one broke and was removed about six months post-op.

Yes, I can feel mine under the skin. Heck, I can get a fridge magnet to stick to each of mine.

Ben

Lucky me!
I had all 9 wires removed 8 mos after my surgery.
And, yes I could feel each one before they were removed.
The ones at the top of the incision were the most irritating.
Gail

I seem to recall someone saying I had 8, but hey, I was on drugs, ya know? I saw them on an X-Ray and agree with Rich, a very non-hi-tech look about them.

I wonder how many people ran for the fridge magnets after Ben's post? I tried it right after I got home from the hosp. , but it didn't work.

My surgeon said since he went to doing it this way he has had less problems and he thinks it holds better.
Take Care

wires

wires

I saw mine on the xray and I have nine. They took out the bottom 3 since I had a fracture. Looks like they put them around and then twisted them. I couldn't believe how sore I was after they took them out. Asked the surgeon's office about this and they told me that the wires grow into the sternum and the tissue around them and this is why they were so sore. Looks like I had been dissected.

ILoveNY (Nicole) is just a little bitty thing and she had to have hers out because she is so weightless that they bothered her and hurt - they put her in the hospital for a few days to do it.

I will try to find out how many wires I have when I see surgeon Thursday. How do they remove the wires and how common is it to have that done?
Steve

Steve, some wires break (like Ben's), some wires just hurt, some just want them out - all kinds of reasons to get them out. I just figure, long as mine don't bother, just leave them alone. At least some part of me is always together - lol

Hi to All,

I had my first mammo after my surg this week and there was much delay, concerned faces and I was scared to death waiting to see what they had found.

Finally, the the tech took me aside and asked if i could have wires in my chest.

There was much relief all around when I told them I had wires from OH surg. They had seen a bunch of artifacts!!!

I will have to remember to tell them before I have the next one!!!!!

Miss you all but continually grateful
for your support.

Donna

Sternum wires

Sternum wires

When I had mine out, they did it on outpatient basis. Put me to sleep and he made 3 incisions where the wires were and took them out. Went home the same day. It was sore for awhile but now not anymore than the rest.

Henslye

Henslye

I never asked that question to the cardio. I will try to remember when I go in May for the six month check up. Thanks for the question. Makes one think.

Caroline
09-13-01
Aortic valve replacement
St. Jude's valve

Latest posts

Back