how many sternum wires do you have?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After my 1st avr in '89 , my wires were not uncomfortable as the surgeon had 'buried them deep' , knowing I was thin.
However, this caused more time to be spent on my redo, getting those buried wires out. My 2nd avr surgeon just did the twisty tie method , knowing I could have them removed if they bothered me, which they did. I had them removed on an outpatient basis, went off coumadin for a few days. I was asleep for the removal, they made an incision at each wire and pulled them out. I went home and was a bit sore and quite stiff for a few days, then I felt fine, and no bumps to rub anymore.
Gail

wires

wires

I was wondering how durable the sternum is after the wires were taken out? It seems where mine are out that it feels like something is moving when I move a certain way. This may be where the fracture is or was. I still have bumps where the other wires are. How come women's scars look worse than the men?

How many scars have you seen?

Best information I have gotten is that the bones heal about like a break would. In 12 to 14 weeks it is as strong as it was before. Removing the wires should not leave any movement.

Funny about the looks of things. I have had two cancers removed by a plastic surgeon and both look a lot worse than the 6 inch chest scar. Actually the scars from my drainage tubes are worse than the main entry cut. Go figger!!

Refusing to go off warfarin to prepare for a colonoscopy-they just planned a fishing expedition, you understand. I had a Barium Enema-very interesting. While they were playing around with me I asked if they could see the wires. They moved the equipment around so I could see them on the monitors.

It looked like I was "crosslaced" as you would shoes or skates, from bottom to top. I don't touch my scar area just because areas that are touched a lot tend to seem more sensative so never have "felt" the wiring/lacing.

Still just thrilled at the "miracle."

Happy new year to all.

scars

scars

I have seen 5 different guy scars. Cardio Rehab guys had a show and tell one day. I didn't show mine .... We also have a couple of friends and they look a whole lot better than mine. Guys are really willing to flash theirs. A couple of Amarettos and maybe I would too. Just kidding.

Not sure how many wires I have but I seem to have one which is very annoying. In the centre of my scar I have a small bit which hasn't healed like the rest. It looks like a small bruise and I can feel something jaggy underneath which must either be a piece of wire or a small piece of bone which is pressing against my skin. When I'm doing exercises I notice this jaggy piece as it seems to move up and down on my skin. Anyway I have my checkup in April which is just over 2 years since my op and I will ask if I can have this wire, bone or whatever removed.

I think I have 7 or 8

I think I have 7 or 8

When I had an x-ray a while back, I believe I counted 7 or 8. It was hard to tell because the X-ray was really light in one area.

That's when they asked me if I had a pony-tail holder on my person.. referring to my mitral valve ring... it really did look like one, but you'd think these medical types would know better.

I do have one area that was sore for a long time, and still bugs me once in a while.. I'm thinking it's one of the wires.

I don't think I can get a magnet to stick to me, but my wires did set off the "wand" at the airport once.

sternum wires

sternum wires

Someone mentioned magnets sticking to their chest. We did this at work last summer and it did stick to my chest. Really weird.

Hi Ann,

Yes, I am better than fine. Just my doc likes colonoscopy and I refuse to go off the warfarin just to let them have a look-see from inside.

Have to admit that I thought I would glow in the dark after nearly 30 xrays. Seems I have lots of internals to go with this huge body of mine. But that is probably more info than anyone needs.

Love and best wishes to all..

B

Hi All, As Ann said I had all 6 of mine removed 3 and half months after surgery. I'm so glad I did it because they became very, very uncomfortable. Unfortunately, I think women tend to feel the irritation more because of bras. Damn those things! LOL.

sternum wires

sternum wires

Hi I think I counted seven or eight on my xray.
I havent had them removed. I think they are burried deep because I am very small.
I tried the magnents it didnt work!!!
Gave us a laugh tho!
Mine look like bits of plastic twisted around loke a bread bag tie..... very unscientific!
My scar kinda feels a little bumpy and rough compared to a normal chest.
I just call it my zipper!
:D

Thanks, Bill, for coming back to tell us - glad to know all is well. And that your doctor is taking good care of you. 30 xrays! wow - bet you were tired when they got through.

Hey Nicole - young'un - nice to see you. missed you. Been busy? Job? Stop in now and then so we know you are ok.

rings?

rings?

I just returned from a visit with my surgeon yesterday and had an x-ray. My first look at my sternum since op. There were five. but they didn't look like twists because there were no tails on them. they looked more like rings???

Can't feel them, there are no protrusions nor pain and I hope eveything stays this way. If so I'll be fine.:D

I had seven wires. Top ones could be seen/felt, yes, even moved around with my finger! They didn't hurt, but just bothered me seeing them. They did bang a bit against my guitar when I played, so that was just wierd. Had them all taken out one year after my surgery. The surgeon did a slice down the top half of my original scar, and he also cleaned up the scar a bit so now it isn't quite so wide. Boy, I wish I had tried the magnet thing! As it was, I was disappointed that they didn't make airport security alarms go off....

-Jennie

Wires? They leave wires in there? Can't wait til my wife gets home tonight so I can try sticking magnets to her chest.

I truly had no idea and I thought I was getting pretty smart.

I must have what Dave mentioned. My wires looks like one continous corkscrew!

Noted this one of my in hospital post-op xray.

No, the magnets did not stick and it wasn't for lack of my trying, either. I think she had a romantic moment in mind when I asked if I could unbutton her shirt. Going after her with the magnets kinda killed that.

I'm not giving up, maybe they'll stick next time. I just gotta figure out a way to get within 2 feet of her.

Back