How many of you chose your valve type based on what others on here went with?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Liam, there is no right or wrong answer to your choice of a valve. I did my research and decided on an on-x valve. I did have trouble finding a Dr. here in the Seattle area that would implant one. Found Dr. Glenn Barnhart at Swedish Medical Center, Cherry Hill location, Seattle. That is the only valve he uses. Out of the three Drs. I interviewed, he was the oldest but the most up to date as far as I was concerned. He has done thousands of AVR's. He was the man for me and he used the valve of my choice so I did my surgery on May 23, 2013 and couldn't be happier so far. Coumadin is still trying to be adjusted. No problems so far. Good luck with your choice and know it a personal one. - Kim

My surgeon decided on porcine for me in 1989, and told me it could last 15 yrs. I found out after my surgery that 8-10 was normal and mostly 8 yrs! For my second surgery,2000, I chose mechanical, surgeon's choice, Carbomedics.
After bacterial endocarditis, 2009, let my surgeon choose, either mechanical or homograft, depending on what he found when he got in there. I got another Carbomedic inside hemashield graft, hand made by my surgeon during my surgery. Hopefully, it's my last surgery.

I went with the carbomedics based on my surgeons vast experience with them and they have a great running track record. After we decided on that, I never looked back.

I can't say that VR.com swayed my decision as much as it let me know I had options. Even though I knew I would probably need my valve replaced one day I never really gave it much thought. I thought it was "way down the road" until I got endocarditis and it became "right around the corner". After a lot of research I chose the Ross Procedure and selected a pediatric surgeon that had done 100's of RP's at a hospital that does thousands of VR's every year. Unfortunately I developed aneurysms on my aortic root and ascending aorta (didn't have BAV), so 7 years after my first surgery I had to get that repaired and have my aortic valve replaced. This time I asked my surgeon which one he preferred and went with it. He was/is the lead surgeon in the clinical trials for percutaneous valve replacement at Duke and recommended tissue but would implant whatever I decided on. I was leaning towards On-x but decided on CE Perimount bovine valve at the last minute (like the afternoon before surgery).

Back