How long until you can 'safely' fly after a Bentalls?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunonwaves

My partners operation was end of Feb and he was out of Hospital around the 1st of May, he also had a pacemaker put in and is on Coumudin and a BetaBlocker.
Is it safe for him to take one 2 hour flight on the 18th of June and a return flight on the 19th?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

I hope there's a typo in your post. Was your partner really in hospital from the end of February until the 1st of May? If so, all bets are off, as he must have had some really serious stuff going on.

If, OTOH, he was in and out by the 1st of March, then I would bet that things would be fine to fly, barring other complications. I had my surgery at the end of February and am cleared for all "normal" activities. If in doubt, a quick call to his cardio should get you an answer.

woops, typo! it was March not May :) thanks for the feedback, ive been a little worried!

A lot of people fly to places for their surgery and then fly back home a week or two post op, no problem. I can't imagine any reason why he can't fly. If you are really that unsure of what he is able to do 4 months post op, I would call his surgeon's office for clarification.

The heart surgeon in NYC who specializes in minimally invasive surgery -- he's very prominent on the Internet and Google, and has posted here, too, sorry I forget his name and his "handle" -- clears patients to fly home on discharge. Maybe normally as quickly as 4-5 days post-op, IIRC.

We've read of a number of heart surgery patients who have left Cleveland Clinic or Mass General and other hospitals and have flown home under a week post op with no issues.

In those cases, wheelchairs were arranged in order to save too much walking through the airport. Lifting restrictions applied to not hold anything weighing more than 10 pounds but your brother should be well past that restriction.

Latest posts

Back