How long before you went back to work?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Leah

For people who were healthy/asymptomatic before isolated AVR (or those who weren't), how long before you went back to work? (Mental/desk job - high responsibility, not physically demanding.) I still don't know whether surgery will be soon (next few months) or later, but most likely this year and would like to plan for my absence with colleagues and support people.

I went back after ten weeks. It wasn't my heart but rather the sternum which needed that time. But a lot have gone back much sooner. I guess a lot depends on your company.
Rich

I had AVR as well as repair of aortic aneurysm on 12/12/07. I was back in my office seeing patients 4 hours a day, 3 days a week on 1/10/08.

Each week I increased 1 to 1.5 hours a day.

Everyone is different. I was in very good shape going into surgery, and exercised (walked) immediately afterwards. Someday's I went home very tired, and others I felt great, as if I could have worked a full day.

The best advice I can give to anyone is: stop thinking about the worst case scenario, and all the "what if's", and start visualizing yourself as you want to be--healthy and full of energy.

The mind is very powerful, program it for success not failure.

Leah, I had an AVR on April 16th and it went smoothly and was released after 4 days. About 10 days later I was readmitted to the hospital and had surgery (periocardial window) for pericardial effusion and was released after 2 days. I started back to work part-time on May 21st. (I travel across North America training dentists and their staffs. Nothing particularly physical but sometimes long days of travel.)

It has been 7 weeks since my first surgery and I'm just now thinking I'm about ready for full-time.

Best of luck to you,

Dan

I was an unemployed, new college graduate when I had my surgery in mid-August, 1967, but I passed the physical and went to work for a large company six weeks later. For most of the people that I have talked with over the years, recovery from surgery didn't take as long as they thought. :)

Had surgery on th 21st of February and back to work on April 1st.....I do not have a physically demanding job.....mostly sitting and jacking my jaw....oh yeah, and hanging out on VR.com:rolleyes:

I was asymptomatic, and otherwise healthy pre-op, with a mental/desk job in strategic marketing. I was told I'd probably be off 10 - 12 weeks. I actually ended up going back in 12 weeks. However, I had a set-back at week 3 and ended op back in the hospital for a week. If it wasn't for that, I probably could have made it back in 10 weeks.

I have a job similar to what you describe; i.e, desk job, high responsibility, not physically demanding. I was back to work full time three weeks after surgery. The first couple of days I got tired in the afternoons but over time that dissipated. I consider three weeks about the minimum amount of time that someone could do; i.e., at least it was the honest minimum that I could have done. My sternum/chest area did not bother me much at all. A lot of folks were surprised to see me back at work so soon. I think that getting back to the job sooner actually helped my recovery. I could have taken more time off and gone to the beach or whatever, but I think getting back to work took my mind off the surgery, heart palpitations, etc. and got me back in a normal environment. Otherwise I would have still been in "recovery from surgery" mode, at least psychologically. I also got back in the gym three weeks after surgery. The first few workouts were more psychological than physical (e.g., I was using the weight machines with real low weights), but the workouts were really great for the psyche. One other thing that helped my recovery quite a bit was that I got a couple of good deep tissue massages within a week of discharge from the hospital. At that point I had a lot of excess lactic acid and other junk in the system from all the medications and stuff, plus I had not exercised in a long time as I was not able to. The massages acted as an artificial workout and helped cleanse the system. I hope this helps, and good luck.

The usual home recovery time given by doctors and allowed by disability programs is six to eight weeks. For heaven's sake, take it.

If you collapse at work, no one will think you're brave, dedicated, or smart. They will just comment that you should have had the common sense to get better before coming back to work.

Best wishes,

Okay, so I didn't have AVR, but went back to work for 3 days a week 4 weeks after surgery. My doctor almost fliped out, but it wasn't a physical demanding job - mostly desk job and the other staff members were great helping me out when needed........actually they watched me like a hawk to make sure I didn't over do it

"The usual home recovery time given by doctors and allowed by disability programs is six to eight weeks. For heaven's sake, take it."

I respectfully disagree. I felt the best mental therapy for me was getting out of the house and being around "healthy" people. Starting the first week home, my wife would take me out to lunch 2-3 days a week. Just being out of the house and seeing people made all the difference in the world.

I also looked forward to getting back into my office. I think a person recovering from surgery such as what we all went through needs to feel "worthwhile", as opposed to sitting around and feeling like a patient, obsessing over every single ache.

Much also depends upon the job. Certainly someone involved in manual labor will not be able to get back to their job until a full 12 weeks has gone by.

But for those of us whose jobs are relatively sedentary (my job requires a great deal of standing as I deal with patients, but no lifting), I believe it is important to feel "enabled", as opposed to sitting around and feeling "disabled".

Of course no one wants to collapse at work. But if you are basically a pencil pusher, going back on a part- time basis prior to the 8 week point, may make all the difference in the world in regards to how fast you actually recover.

Thank you

Thank you

Thanks very much for your responses. So obviously there's a real range, and this is very useful to know. I wouldn't dream of deciding in advance - too much is out of my control - but wanted to get a sense of what's realistic for planning purposes. This is a good starting point, knowing that reality will have its say when the time comes...
Leah

Returning to Work

Returning to Work

I took six days off work. This included the day prior to my surgery for pre-op bloodwork. I worked 1/2 days during my first week back (I did get trapped into working one full day during that first week back and paid for it) and returned to full days during my second week back.

My surgery involved AVR and repair of a rather large aortic aneurysm. I was in fairly good shape physically and presented no symptoms.

How much time one needs for recovery is hugely individual. Many of my co-workers still don't understand why I didn't need to take more time off. I was better off getting back into my regular work routine as soon as possible. Sitting at home longer than I did would have made me crazy. Others need more time and can handle the staying home stuff better than I could.

-Philip

I went back to work at 10 weeks. I was 28 and in good shape at the time of my surgery, but the first few days back just completely wiped me out. My personal suggestion would be to take as much time as you can (up to 10-12 weeks). While you're recovering, you will go through many ups and downs, both physical and mental, and I just don't see any advantage to piling whatever work stresses you have on top of that. There was one individual in particular who came around and asked the same question, and then decided to go back to work just a couple weeks after surgery. He was almost immediately working 80 hours per week and posted over and over asking why he didn't feel better - he was still fatigued all the time even a few months after surgery. We constantly told him that he needed to slow down and take it easy for awhile, but he obviously didn't like to hear that. IMHO, not allowing his body to recover and get stronger pushed out his overall recovery for a long time.

I was 42 at the time of my surgery (Aortic valve replacement) and was back to work at 6 weeks. Desk job mind you but being at your desk 8 to 10 hours can still wipe you out. It was probably 8 weeks before I started feeling like I was 100% at work.

When back to work in 4 weeks, worked half days for 2 weeks then full time since. Job is mostly deskwork and I was 48 at the time of the operation. Could have milked it for more but was going crazy sitting around the house.

Nick

I am 8 weeks post-op after OHS to repair Mitral valve and received a letter from my Employers today that stated: "the Company is of the opinion that your continuous absenteeism is of such extent that we can no longer accommodate it. It is therefore with great regret that we give you notice of termination of employment. Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery..."

I just came out of Hospital again this week after struggling with CHF, enlarged left Atrium, sinus tachycardia and Ischemia.

I thought I would be able to go back to work after 6 weeks post-op, but it is not always that easy.

Prepare your Employers with the fact that you could be off sick for 6 weeks, but that it could also be 12 weeks. It depends on your recovery and every person is unique.

I am 8 weeks post-op after OHS to repair Mitral valve and received a letter from my Employers today that stated: "the Company is of the opinion that your continuous absenteeism is of such extent that we can no longer accommodate it. It is therefore with great regret that we give you notice of termination of employment. Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery..."

I'm very, very sorry that this happened!
Leah

Ernie had AVR and was told by the cardio to inform his employer that it would probably be 12 weeks,
He is a total workaholic and started working from home after 2-3 weeks, had to go back into hospital for cardioversion 6 weeks after AVR, but went back to the office full time after 8 weeks.
Best Wishes
Wendy

Other factors

Other factors

I think there are other factors -

A. I love my job and get great satisfaction from doing it
B. I do my job to make money - I'm trapped
C. I jack hammer molten rivets into structural steel one mile up.
D. I hate my job and my boss
E. I have to work - no work - no money - ergo no food or luxury condo
F. I have a low stress desk job and I can get my job done in 8 hrs.
G. I have a high stress desk job and must I must work 12 hrs and weekends.

No wonder the recovery time is so variable.

Latest posts

Back