How do you keep a 10 year old down?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherylchapa

Chris is way over doing it and he cannot be stopped! He is up and down the stairs all day and night. He won't stay on one floor to save his life. I have considered putting the baby gate at the stairs if I didn't think he would try to climb over it. All this sounds great except for the fact that he's becoming short of breath and then comes the pain. He's still taking Vicodin for the pain a couple of times a day. And last night his baby sister (2 years old and 25 lbs) tried to plop in his lap and one of the chest tube incisions came open! Not all the way but enough to worry his mama. We put a bandaid on it real tight and checked it again this morning. It looks closed but there was a little blood spot on the bandaid. He's still walking around all slouched over like a little old man. He won't admit to how much pain he's in. He says level 2 on a scale of 1-10 most of the time and will only take meds if it is up to 4. But if his pain is only level 2, he should be able to stand up straight. I'm afraid the scar will heal short and he will have trouble with it. Can you tell that I'm a worrier?

On a happier note, my old friend who runs Catalina Island Camps has invited us to come and see the camp before they leave for the fall. This is the camp where they have Camp Del Corazon, a special heart kids only camp every summer. He will be able to go there for camp next summer and she thought it would be fun for him to see the camp before he goes. We are so excited! For him to see the camp and for me to see my old friend whom I have not seen in about 17 years or so.

Good luck with keeping a 10 year old down. Hopefully you can keep him from hurting himself. Great to know he come through the surgery well. God Bless.

I'm sure you've tried all of the movies, video games etc. that kiddos this age usually live for. I'm sure it is scary for you but at the same time sounds like a great sign of his heart being in good shape.

When my little guy had his heart repaired he was only a baby. Mind you he had his repair done through a cath so it was not ohs but the moment we brought him home the day following surgery he began to crawl for the first time. I was supposed to keep him still! We literally came in the door and set him on a blanket on the floor and off he went! He has special needs and was 2 years old at the time so it was so obvious that his heart was holding him back. He was on a feeding tube for 4 months prior to surgery too and after surgery began eating like a champ leaving the feeding tube behind. I know I'm preaching to the choir as you and Chris have been through way more than my son's surgery entailed but just wanted to share with you.

I am also considered "young" at 47 to have avr (I love hearing that :) ) and I know that I was up and down steps much sooner than I even had expected. My first couple of days at home I was hesitant but quickly gained the strength. At 3 weeks post op I am just off pain meds and do realize that a big part is the meds so be careful with that. I do feel some incision pain now that I didn't notice when on meds but of course you can't go without in the first weeks. I did cut mine back after being home a few days.

Sorry for rambling on. I will keep Chris in my prayers.

Barb

Cheryl, when I saw the title of your thread, I thought it was a new joke thread :D

Seriously, I have no idea what to tell you, but thought I would wish you good luck! You know, these kids have a better idea of what they can and can't do, so maybe just leave it up to him, don't worry (well, you can worry about him, but keep it inside, or on here). I remember when my friend's 10-year-old came down with chicken pox, he came home from school, said he wasn't feeling too good and was going to lie down in his bed - this, from a kid with ADHD, into the bargain! He usually flew in, grabbed the phone, had organised what he was doing and with whom, grabbed a snack and was back out the door in less than 3 minutes.

Which reminds me, pharmacist recommended anti-histamine in pill (Benadryl) form for the itching, and that kept them both quiet for a while!

I wish you well with that trick. Try making a deal with him for two weeks. Someplace that he like to eat? Or somewhere he wants to go?

Good luck with that one. Wishing you the best.

My son too had TOF

My son too had TOF

His repair was at 22 months and there was no holding him back. His scar spread some with all the activity and when he was 28 years old he needed a pulmomary valve. They went in through the old scar and these drainage holes, etc look so much better than those from when he was a child. I expect your son feels so good there will be no holding him back. Good luck to you all!!

I think it's great he's feeling well enough to bounce around like that but understand your concern.

I wasn't limited re: stairs and from day one both surgeries, I was up and down the stairs throughout the day with no bad effects. I was instructed 'as tolerated'. Obviously, your wonderful sum is tolerating them. :)

Best of good luck to all of you.

I think the physical activity is probably ok, but like you, I would be concerned with the fact that he is not standing up straight. Believe me I know how hard it is to get a kid to be extra careful and I have not been very successful. My only recommendation is to have the doctor talk directly to him; sometimes they will only listen to someone who is not their parent.

So glad that he is feeling good, though!

I think the physical activity is probably ok, but like you, I would be concerned with the fact that he is not standing up straight. Believe me I know how hard it is to get a kid to be extra careful and I have not been very successful. My only recommendation is to have the doctor talk directly to him; sometimes they will only listen to someone who is not their parent.

So glad that he is feeling good, though!

I had the same concern about not standing up straight.

My 'Hunch' is that Poor posture really could cause his sternum to heal in an unnatural position which would affect him for the rest of his life.

You need to check that out and get his attention and co-operation.

Does Chris have exercises to do?

We didn't receive any recommendations for specific exercises. He seems to be walking hunched over with his shoulders up as if in a shrug. He LOOKS like he's in pain but says he's not. Maybe he's not because he's not standing up straight. We see the cardio on Monday. Is this something that can wait or should I call today? I am off work the next 2 days so I can take him in if I need to.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I had some basic exercises, such as lifting my arms and shoulders.
And I was hunched for a long time. But I did lie down and sit very straight.
All turned out fine, my back is straight.

Cheryl,

Glad to hear that Chris is feeling up to taking the stairs, etc... It is tough to keep them down. Idrees is almost back to his normal activity level. He went to a small neighborhood water park today for a few hours and was playing in the water with his friends. You would never guess that he is only 4 weeks out from surgery. The pain medication was stopped by about day 5 and then we switched to Tylenol but didn't use it much when we got home. Because he takes coumadin there are restrictions on the types of pain killer he can take. Of course, Chris is a much larger kid than Idrees so I could see where it is probably more painful for him.

I wonder about the shrugged shoulders. Idrees was also doing this initially after his central line (which was in his neck) was removed. The PT came in and suggested some physical therapy but afterwards the Cardiac Nurse just laughed and said "all of the kids protect their neck after OHS". Ask Chris to describe what he's feeling and why he's tensing up. Maybe you can get a better idea of what is going on. I wouldn't necessarily worry that it is something that can't wait a few days.

Hope it goes well!

Latest posts

Back