How do we know if we have done too much?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WandaW

Everyone tells us to not overdo, how do we know if we are reaching that point? I use my Polar monitor to keep my rate between the numbers reccomended for me but what really happens if we bypass that? Do the Beta Blockers stop our heart from going too fast, keeping us from overdoing?

Wanda,

This may seem simplistic but my body would tell me if I had done too much. I realize you are specifically talking about the heart, but IMO the heart will tell the body that is enough and the body will tell the brain that is enough. That is my experience through 2 heart surgeries. I never damaged my heart by doing too much but my body let me know that I was an idiot for doing too much.

I've asked a few people that same question (~1 month ago) -- including this Forum and several of the nurses at my Cardiac Rehab center. I never got an answer that satisfied me much. I think the closest I got was "arrhythmias". Like you, I had no bypasses, clean arteries, and no other cardiac (MI) "risk factors" (other than slightly elevated LDLs), so I don't think I'm likely to have a heart attack from overdoing. After 6-ish weeks, the physical healing is mostly done, so the rest is just about the electrical connections and other (physical?) "remodeling" -- and getting back in shape, body and CV.

I'm guessing that going nuts, too much too soon, increases the odds of getting something like chronic A-fib. I can't think of much else as the answer to "or else what?"

Wanda, I haven't found any amount of exertion yet that resulted in going too far, nor have I seen this at cardiac rehab. This is not to say that this can't happen, but I don't personally know of what it might be. Regarding the BB question, in my case I definitely have an upper limit on my heart rate. Whether or not this protects the heart, I don't know. I do know that I can do the same level of exertion now as pre-surgery, but my heart rate is nowhere near as high as before.

My cardiac rehab today was shopping with my daughter at the Mall of America, since we live in suburb of Mpls it is not far. We walked and shopped for about 3 hours and I only sat down 2x, had my trusty heart monitor on and just seemed to "feel" that it was time to sit and just rest and breath a minute. Maybe thats it? I go back to work on June 1st, so am ruminating on that, need to look like I am ready, and I think I am , just alittle short on courage I think. The good news is that I now have the perfect outfit thanks to my shopping trip today, and a stress test riding to the Mega Mall with Katie driving, (she is a great driver, braver then me) hence the stress!!!!!!!!!!

My cardiac rehab today was shopping with my daughter at the Mall of America, since we live in suburb of Mpls it is not far. We walked and shopped for about 3 hours and I only sat down 2x, had my trusty heart monitor on and just seemed to "feel" that it was time to sit and just rest and breath a minute. Maybe thats it? I go back to work on June 1st, so am ruminating on that, need to look like I am ready, and I think I am , just alittle short on courage I think. The good news is that I now have the perfect outfit thanks to my shopping trip today, and a stress test riding to the Mega Mall with Katie driving, (she is a great driver, braver then me) hence the stress!!!!!!!!!!

"This may seem simplistic but my body would tell me if I had done too much"

I feel like Rodney Dangerfield...I get no respect. I've lived through two of these damn surgeries and I have shared my experiences and either no one listens or someone repeats what I say but in a different way. You "felt" like you needed to sit down and rest because your body told you to. Could I have said it any clearer than I did in my first post? Could I have said that you had A-Flutter any clearer when you were experiencing the symptoms you described?

I apologize in advance Wanda and this is not directed entirely at you, but I am starting to feel kind of like I did after my first surgery...that people want to hear what they want to hear and not the truth spoken by someone who has been through it not once but twice. When this happened after my first surgery I stopped posting for a long time. I felt bad that I wasn't "helping" people but I also felt like I wasn't making a difference so why post at all.

And yes I have read this a few times before I posted it and I will probably regret posting it later but we all have our own chit to deal with, and by posting this it is helping me deal with some of my own chit by venting.

Hey Bryan,
I am sorry I didn't write it clearer, I was agreeing with your statement and asking "is that it?" I was in agreement with you that that is what I felt and had not connected it yet. I have never and would never disregard what you share. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

How to know when you've overdone it? Just remember that whatever you do, you still need energy to finish the job, to return to your destination point, to wrap up the day.
Best to overestimate the job and underuse what you estimate your energy reserve to be.
If you're going for a walk, just remember that you have to have enough energy to also get back and feel good for the rest of the day/evening -- and yet not be wiped out the next day. You don't want to be taking one step forward, two or more steps backwards.
My experience -- and I will assume it's that of many others -- is that it's best to gradually do a little more each day. Get more sleep at night than you did post-op -- your body needs it for healing and you need the energy.
I'll bet there's not a single OHS patient who has NOT overdone it at least one day. You feel great, so you're tempted to do quite a bit more that day. And you pay the next day, sometimes for 2-3 days.

I found that the case 5 months post-op, even 7-8-9 months post-op.
I work during the week and am frequently out of town on weekends. At 5 months post-op, I went to a 3-day event at the George R. Brown Convention Center in downtown Houston. Houston is a 4.5 to 5-hour drive, but I chose to fly down on Thursday for this event. Got a rental car. Only had 2 pieces of luggage, both carry-ons. Was OK on Thursday. Walked around the 100,000-square-foot show hall on Friday. And was totally wiped out -- questioned whether I had enough energy to drive back to my hotel near the airport (IAH). I had been to this event several times before, including the previous year, w/out any problems. I did get back to my hotel, and a friend staying at the same hotel drove the two of us to dinner. I got to bed early that night and also on Saturday night.
Couple of months later, in late January, I drove to San Antonio (about a 4.5-hour drive) after work on a Friday. Got there about 11 p.m.-midnight. Had to get settled in my hotel room, then get up @ 6 a.m. to be somewhere by 7:30 a.m. for an event that went through 5 p.m. I was as fatigued on Saturday as I was immediately pre-op and post-op, and considered going to the nearest ER. I had to find the energy to literally put one foot in front of the other. That Saturday night, I grabbed a quick dinner, took 1/2 Extra Strength Tylenol PM tablet and went to bed early. Was back at the event the next day at 8 a.m. and felt pretty much normal.
By 9 months post-op, I had a more consistent level of energy.

I had high demands on my energy on weekends, compared to the weekday demands, so it took me longer than others to feel consistently great. Your lifestyle, normal schedule and activities will affect how quickly you will feel "normal" again.

If you experience fatigue w/out any obvious reasons, you should consult a doctor. You could be suffering from a vitamin D3 deficiency, from a viral infection or some other non-cardiac problem that can be corrected. And if it's something cardiac, it certainly needs to be taken care of.

Wow, what a crazy schedule! Thank you so much for sharing your experiences, it really helps me put things into perspective. A good reminder that even as I feel better I still am in the healing mode and need to be mindful of my activity and fatique level. I guess I will get to work on that as I start work this Wed. I am anxious to see what adaptions work is willing to agree to Thanks Again.

Wow, what a crazy schedule! Thank you so much for sharing your experiences, it really helps me put things into perspective. A good reminder that even as I feel better I still am in the healing mode and need to be mindful of my activity and fatique level. I guess I will get to work on that as I start work this Wed. I am anxious to see what adaptions work is willing to agree to Thanks Again.

When I started back to work, it was half-time (4 hours a day for 4 weeks), due to short-term disability rules & eligibility. I had planned to return to work and just build up my time at work each day, but that didn't mesh with weekly reporting to STD for the hours I didn't work, so I settled for 4 hours/day. That gave me time during the afternoon to nap, which was greatly needed. It took me a couple of days to adjust back to working just part-time, and then ditto when I switched back to 8-hour days.
I learned why it's called WORK. It was tiring to get up earlier than I had been used to, to get ready for work, to drive to work, park, walk into my office, get through 4 hours of work while getting up and down dealing with customers, fax machine, etc.
People anticipating VR surgery who have short-term disability should research the rules covering pay when you go back to work. I was told it's best to go back using the STD, because if there was a complication requiring me to be out again 100%, that would take effect immediately. If I had waived the STD when I went back half-time, I would have to be out 5 full days w/out pay or taking vacation before the STD went back into effect.

Good luck on your return to work!

I could always tell when I was doing too much by listening to my body. I had my surgery on a Monday and by Saturday I was doing 3 walks a day...30 minutes each. This seemed like a very light load based on my running background, but my body required 3 naps a day. I decided to dial it back to 1 walk a day and I did just fine with 2x1 hr. naps a day.

Like catwoman, my first week back at work (after being off for 6 weeks) was spent working 1/2 days. Prior to going back to work, I was no longer taking naps, but sure needed them after working 4 hrs that first week.

just found out!. Walking out of hospital at full speed 5 days out, feeling on top of the world, my body sent the message. I stopped, rested and accepted assistance to a seat.

The other way is to have a wife who tells you (and is never wrong).

Back