How common are strokes after Heart Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harmony

Exactly 2 weeks ago I had a white ball or cloud come over my right eye. I could not see through it. It left after a fee minutes however my right eye is still blurred. Today I went to my 4th Opthalmologist. The other 3 did a lot of tests even a Flurescan angiogram. No one found any reason for my eye being blurred. The doctor I saw today was a Neuro Opthalmologist. He said he also did not know why the right eye is blurred. However from the way he spoke it sound like he thought I had a stroke. He wants me to get some records from my Cardio and a Neurologist He wants my Cardio to evaluate me for Thromboembolic which I believe has to do with a stroke. He wants the Neurologist to evaluate me for cerebrovasc which also has to do with a stroke. When I first had the surgery I had occular migraines every day sometimes twice a day pre operation I had optical migraines maybe every 6months.As a headache and migraine sufferer I have always known I have a greater risk for stroke. I have lowish normal blood opress and take aspirins daily. Would like to know if any one has had a stoke after Mitral Valve Repair surgery. Thank You

I don't think it's common, although I have heard of people having blood clots after various types of surgeries, especially orthopedic surgery. A thromboembolism is a clot that breaks loose and travels through the bloodstream until it gets stuck. It can cause a stroke, pulmonary embolism or other problems. It can be treated with a clot buster, aspirin or Warfarin.

Cerebrovascular disease encompasses several things where the blood vessels leading to the brain are damaged. It can be caused by high blood pressure, obesity, smoking, diabetes, and other things.

Both of these things can be dangerous, but they aren't always. However, you should see a doctor. I would think a Neurologist could handle all of it as far as the testing. A Cardiologist might be required to treat the causes.

How long ago was your surgery?

It is fairly common practice by many surgeons to put their Tissue Valve recipients on Coumadin / warfarin for 3 months following surgery as a 'precaution'.

Ocular Migraines are reported fairly frequently following OHS. Usually, nothing is found and nothing is done, other than perhaps chewing an aspirin (up to 325 mg) when these events occur.

Please keep us informed of your findings from your further testing / evaluations.

'AL Capshaw'

Latest posts

Back