How are you comfortable in your waking hours?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayhawk

I had my pre-surgery cath on Monday. Spent most of the next day in bed relaxing. I would like to find a way of sitting up in bed and watching TV beyond putting a bunch of pillows together. I have used those pillows with arms before and they are okay, not great. What do you all find comfortable to sit in bed? The cath was a trial run for us and have found a few gaps. I want to get one of those thick mattress covers to soften the bed and a body pillow. My TV is higher on the wall in front of the bed so I look up to see it. Any thoughts on what would make sitting up more comfortable?

I found sitting up straight, and standing, and walking, and lying flat were all totally fine. Any time I hunched over (thus 'compressing' my sternum) was a bit painful. But everyone is different and you'll sort it out post-op!

BTW why do you want to sit in bed? That's what sick people do, and you're not going to be sick, you're going to be better! :) Couch TV for you, my friend . . . . In between doing all the walking that will be prescribed for you!

I'm another who had minimal problems with comfortable positions - once I was released from the hospital, that is. I had some post-op complications and spent a total of 9 days in the hospital. Once I got home, I was most comfortable in a recliner - primarily due to some nasty digestive issues I had from all the meds. Once that was resolved, I was OK sitting, walking, standing, sleeping in a regular bed with just the normal pillows, etc.

We're all different, so if you noted problems staying in bed after the cath it is probably worth protecting from the same issues post-op.

I agree with skigirl.

Keep your bed for procreation, naps and sleep. :) You will sleep better in the long run if you never read or watch TV in bed. Keeping the bed for sleeping is the first thing they tell you to do if you ever have trouble with sleep.

After surgery, I was much more comfortable in a chair, couch or lounger than the bed. However, you may not be able to get out of some chairs, so pick wisely if you've not sat in the chair yet and there is no one home to help you up. :)

I made due with the pillows, beds and chairs in my home with no problem.

I spent the first 8-10 days at home in a recliner. I tried the bed, but it was not comfortable and getting in and out were difficult. We have a big sectional in our family room with electrically operated recliners on each end. Just push a button and you go from reclined to sitting upright with no strain at all. Getting up and down are very easy.

I agree with Tom
I agree with skigirl.

and Skigirl too ... also (to input something meaningful into this rather than oblique references) I found that moving around as much as I could (even if it was going to the back yard to sit in the chair, then to the front yard to sit in a different place) helped a lot.

The doctors and rehab people stressed doing walks as much as I could, so I'd shuffle around the block too.

(I'm wondering if I get a double word score here, although this is not to say that anyone here is a pink square :)

I never spent a day in bed from when I came home both of my surgeries. I got up, showered and dressed each morning. I didn't think of myself as 'sick'. I was recovering. I found the more active I was the better I felt and the better I healed. I napped when I needed it, I watched tv from a couch sometimes but I found getting up and out of the bed was best for me.

I found for sleeping, I needed a pile of pillows in different sizes. I slept in our bed from day one but used many pillows under my back, neck and head. It didn't take that long I removed one after another until I was down to the usual pillows I always use. I suggest if you don't have some extra pillows around you might wish to purchase some in advance of your surgery. They were my 'best friend.' :)

JKM7 is right. I did use some extra pillows, I got a heart shaped one from the hospital ladies auxillary.

At Washington Hospital Center when each room is made up for a new patient a big red heart pillow with a schematic graphic of the heart is placed prominently at the head of the bed. I remember that being a cheery sight when I was wheeled in from ICU following my surgery. I kept mine after recovery and have it sitting in the bedroom - it clashes with the decor and my wife isn't too crazy about it, but she humors me nonetheless. Since WHC do something like 1200 AVR's annually and who knows how many other open heart surgeries, that's a whole lot of pillows.

Last edited:
I'd agree with the others. You don't want to be in bed except at night. I was quite worried about getting comfortable in bed. I had to do some pillow propping to get to sleep the first few nights. For me it was the tightness of the skin over the sternum. Once this gets stretched a bit, then I was fine.

I spent most of my time in the recliner. I would have slept there the first few nights, but I have a night-owl wife and she's on the TV late at night.

I sat on a couch for the first three days home and then switched to a recliner. I am much more willing to sit up a long now, and getting up to walk is a lot easier

Latest posts

Back