How are all the cool kids doing it?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin1981

Dear sage like valve wizards,

I was wondering if/how those of you on Coumadin identify that you are on it. Such as a medical alert bracelet or a wallet card?

Thanks in advance!

Nothing on me except the scar. Any ER will pick it as soon as they put a stethescope to my chest. Heck many GPs pick it as soon as they see the scar. "So, what was your OHS for..."
"Ahh, so you're on warfarin then"

If I was on dabigatran or something less common or less reversible I'd probably consider something to warn them.

I'm with pellicle on this. I make sure when I go mountain biking that someone knows, on the off chance that I get hurt so badly I'm unconscious, otherwise I should be able to tell anyone myself. The scar and loud ticking will give it away anyway!

One of the first things any Emergency Room does when there is a trauma injury/illness admittance is blood work and one off the first things they test is INR/protime.

I was wondering if/how those of you on Coumadin identify that you are on it. Such as a medical alert bracelet or a wallet card?
Nope, I don't have anything saying it and I see no reason for it.

If anyone listened to my heart, they'd recognize the sound of the mechanical valve and would know I take it.

I keep a card in my purse for emergencies. Most people will have it engrave in a medical alert bracelet or medallion. You need to be able to have a way for emergency personnel to know what your meds and conditions are.

I have a dog tag type medallion on a neck chain, plus a wallet card. I'm told EMT's are trained to look at both the wrist and the neck for medic alert info. I was wearing the chain already, so adding the dog tag was the logical way to go.

I'll second the dog tag or pendant idea. I have both - dog tag reminds me of my days in the military, but even the Medicalert pendant is OK. These are not ordinarily visible (if they are visible, is must be by choice as the chains are long enough to keep the tag in your shirt easily), but they can carry some brief info and a patient number and phone number for first responders to call for the whole story.

I'm no longer taking warfarin, but I would definitely want first responders to be aware of my pacemaker. (Of course, the "can" is easily visible, as long as they can see my torso.)

I have a few Medical Id Bracelets so I can change them. Yes, they should be able to tell by the scar and clicking, but I prefer to leave nothing to chance about the coumadin. I do a lot of road biking and typically with someone, but not always. If I am unconscious, I want to be taken to hospital that is prepared for trauma the first time, not just a urgent care unit.

I do not carry my On-X id card. I figure that is something to show when a recall happens...G_d forbid.

I wear a Medical ID Bracelet and also have a card in my wallet. My surgeon suggested that I get one just in case I have an accident when driving and I am unconscious and can not tell them about my issues. I always wear it when I am leaving the house. I feel more comfortable when I have it on.

Latest posts

Back