Hospital Stay - The Complete Story

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Lyn, that is some pretty good feedback and advice for those that will be going through this in the future. Believe it or not "pain management" was a huge topic of concern for me. I discussed in detail with most everyone. Surgeon guaranteed that the CTU (cardio thoracic Unit) nurses will keep me as comfortable as possible. Though, there are some confusing things about "pain management". If you are in too much pain, you cannot recover, if you are too medicated you cannot recover, therefore there must be a happy medium. On day 0 for me, when I was in bed, they made sure I was mostly comfortable. When I was in pain, I would wine to my brother, wife or nurse and I was getting shots of Fentanyl (I think) or maybe something else every so often. Issue with being drugged up is that side-effects often make you less productive and more sedentary. Starting with day 1 post-op, I spent every waking minute doing something productive, either using spirometer, or talking to people, or walking around or something. I refused to be stationary. I was not in the mood to sit-down and give-in or give-up. My guess is that I was making lots of progress on day 1 and when they saw the progress they just figured that I am comfortable. I complained and was getting pain killers, but the way they worked out a schedule was time spaced (4 hour intervals). In retrospect this was a very good thing. 2.5 days of medium suffering, from chest tubes mostly, cause once they pulled them out I was pain free and nearly pain killer free.

Thinking back, I could stand the pain and it was just something that I wish I did not have to deal with, however, given the choice of getting my body back faster and less pain, I would chose the get my body back faster route every time. I know that my surgeon and anesthesiologist knew that about me, and perhaps there were some notes somewhere instructing nursing staff as such ;)

Today is day 9 and I am virtually off all pain killers, I still take Tylenol 3 before bed. I think that if they had me drugged down any more that they did my progress would have been limited or at least slightly delayed. Still, I always appreciate your (and others, of course) posts and perspective it gives me a another angle on the situation and gives me things to think about and act on.

I'm glad looking back you think it was best for you, but it shouldnt be that hard to find the happy medium where your pain levels are low but you arent too drugged to work at your recovery. Most people find that is the case. I dont believe it should BE a choice there is NO reason to have pain and you should still feel mentally with it to work as hard as you can to get better quickly

BUT You can have enough pain meds to be comfortable, slight pain and still be able to function well or even better. Unless it was something weird like moving rooms etc Justin's pain was very small and he also spends as much time walking laps, doing his breathing everything he decided early on all the things you need to do to get better and home ASAP. Even the surgery where thy had to move muscles, they still were able to keep his pain low and he was able to do all the work needed to get back to better than before. Sometimes they just need to play around with meds, tweak things IF you complain until they can come up with a plan that you are not in pain but can function.Even tho Justin's pain was controlled well he still was alert enough to play playstation in CICU less than 12 hours post op.

Last edited:
Really good encouraging and informative post - glad it is going so well. I am due in for AVR surgery tomorrow. How is the valve noise wise?

Only a little bit of clicking. I can hear it most in the AM when I wake up or if I wake up at night. It has to be quite-ish to hear it and the noise comes from inside, almost sounds like from my throat.
Funny thing is that, at the moment, I like hearing it, since I use to measure my heart-rate.

Good luck tomorrow brommers, I will add you to the calendar and we will keep you in our thoughts for they day and rest of the week.

I still can't beleive you had OHS and where out by day three!!!! I can't beleive you were discharged the same day you had your drains out, especially as they where still draining before they took them out!!
But hats off to you!
I honestly think you must have the best record as i seriously don't know anyone who's had OHS and discharged day 3!! I thought i done well when i was out at day 6 LOL!!!
Seiously though im so pleased for you :)
Take it easy though!!
Love Sarah xxxxx

...... Some hospitals do things differently, for example Justin had 6 heart surgeries at 2 hospitals over a 20 year periord, so somethings changed over that time, but he has never had the neck IV, also some times he was on the vent thru his nose, not mouth, he found that a little more comfortable. You dont have to work really hard breathing to get off the vent, altho it worked for you, often by just relaxing and breathing with the vent and not fighting it, will get you off it rather quickly If you wake up on it......

I'm supprised Justins never had an arterial neck line/ central venous catheter! I've always had them in....
Love Sarah xxxxx

Latest posts

Back