Honest Opinions?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't sweat the small stuff

Don't sweat the small stuff

OK, you have a serious problem which in a different time or even today in a different place would mean your death at an early age. BUT! You live in the right time and place and will sail through surgery and into your recovery. For me and many others, Ovie, this was our first serious illness. Once past this, you have a lot more perspective as to what is worth worrying over and what isn't worth your time. Surgery sets you on a path to a new future - a new lease on life in the truest meaning of that phrase. It will change your life. What direction your life then takes is up to you. Quiting smoking forever is the single best thing you can do for yourself to prepare for surgery and for your new life to come.

You spoke of worrying about heart sensations after surgery. Some of this is normal because it will feel different. As an adult, I had never been able to find the pulse in my wrist easily. Since the AVR, it is strong and steady and takes less than a second to find. As our energy level declines before surgery, some of us found ourselves becoming more sedentary. After surgery, part of recovery is discoverying your new self with a fully functional heart.

Ovie, I would very strongly encourage you to attend Cardiac Rehab after your surgery. It usually begins about 6 weeks Post-Op. It is certainly true that there is no exercise that one does in Cardiac Rehab that one cannot do on one's own....but there is another big...BUT...many people don't. Besides getting you into the habit of regular exercise, Cardiac Rehab will rebuild your confidence in your body. I think that may be its most important result. You wear a monitor during exercise which the nurse-physiologists use to watch your heart function. This gives you the assurance that on the one hand they are not going to let you hurt yourself while on the other hand reassuring you that you can safely increase the intensity of your workouts without fear. Just as you find some comfort here in VR, you will also find companionship in the group that attends your Cardiac Rehab along with you. Most of them will have had the experience of open heart surgery. Some will be younger, perhaps, many will be older and all of them will know first hand what you have been through and how you are feeling as you recover. By the time you complete Cardiac Rehab, you will know first hand what your body can do and that you can trust it once again; that is a wonderful feeling and a good foundation for your new future.

I've shared this already but why should I stop there. Here is one of the bright spots in my own new future. As an adult, I've never felt able to have dog. Now, meet BEDE who is 12 weeks old today.

View attachment 9007

Larry

Last edited:
Ovie, I agree with dicks post and you've been given great advice from everyone here

hi gang im gonna reply Lyns and jkm7 posts o my gosh im here try everyday
to read and keep in my thoughts and prayers.

I just am so busy with my 90 and 87 year old prents at tis time in my life they
spent years caring for me and its payback time .
difficult to post but its 3 am and im usually reading and taking all info here into what needs
what going on here so tis is how vr last year for me has been.
I havent nor ever will lose tis site however bad time for me posting ive had to put my job on
hold presently but i am here everyday at least once even if i dont post im here to read.
Vr was here at my worst 2nd ohs i could never disappear
I can say i miss you all and especially posting but im here and not here if you can understand
the demands at tis point in my life i havent been able to answer any crisises Freddyies turmoil the
surgeries and while on here dcc i wish you the best in upcoming surgery also your in my thoughts
and prayers.

Just to say i'm aware im here and one day i can post as always but its hard at this point and time
just want you all to know im here always just not in post so obviously you dont know how im doing
and i apologize for that but like lyn says we get busy with our own lives and you don't hear anymore.

Just cutting into ovies post and my apologies ovie to you for doing this but wanted to say
im here in that manner for right now

MISS YAKKIN BUT CONTINUE IN MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS

GODBLESS...YAK SOON I HOPE:smile2:

No need to apologize zipper!

Mentiu- I absolutely plan on doing the cardiac rehabilitation after my surgery. It's actually something I'm looking forward to doing. After surgery id like to take better care of my body, I think that the CR will be a great way to start off, because I'll want to know what I can and can't do and I'd like it Monitored by a professional. I've been looking into it and found one, just going to talk to my cardiologist and get something set up after my surgery.

Like you said, why should a doctor fix you if you're just going to allow yourself to break down again, sure I'll have my slip ups here and there, but I await the challenge.

Cardiac Rehab

Cardiac Rehab

Just wanted to second the motion on Cardiac Rehab. I started 2.5 weeks post op and it's the best thing I've done as far as my recovery has gone (and it has gone very well). As previously posted, the confidence in my ability to exercise, the knowledge of how hard to push myself and the support of the nurses, physiologists and other patients have been godsends. I know you said you planned to do rehab, but just wanted to encourage you to make sure you do. Short of actually having the surgery, I think rehab has been the most important part of regaining my health.

I've shared this already but why should I stop there. Here is one of the bright spots in my own new future. As an adult, I've never felt able to have dog. Now, meet BEDE who is 12 weeks old today.

View attachment 9007 Larry

Your BEDE is adorable. What a sweetie.

So happy for you, Larry, and hope you and Bede have many happy years of love, fun an happiness. Unconditional love and fun from a puppy. You made my day!!!! :)

Zipper.......

What a joy to hear from you.
I'm sorry to hear the load you are carrying but had some idea of all you do from past posts.
VERY happy you took a moment to say hello to us.
You are missed and we always welcome a message from you.
Hope your health is good and things are stable for you.

HAPPY, HEALTHY NEW YEAR to you and yours.
Take the best care.

Just wanted to second the motion on Cardiac Rehab. I started 2.5 weeks post op and it's the best thing I've done as far as my recovery has gone (and it has gone very well). As previously posted, the confidence in my ability to exercise, the knowledge of how hard to push myself and the support of the nurses, physiologists and other patients have been godsends. I know you said you planned to do rehab, but just wanted to encourage you to make sure you do. Short of actually having the surgery, I think rehab has been the most important part of regaining my health.

Absolutely. I know some people (so I've heard) plan on doing it than don't. To me thats unacceptable and not even an option as I'm concerned, I will be attending the CR without a doubt.

Your BEDE is adorable. What a sweetie.

So happy for you, Larry, and hope you and Bede have many happy years of love, fun an happiness. Unconditional love and fun from a puppy. You made my day!!!! :)

He looks about the same age as our new puppy Boo,we got from Best Freinds I hope you are having as much fun with Bede as we are Boo.

Knight - you're also right. Continuity of coverage is best, particularly given the reasons why we're on this board.

Indeed ... and it's VERY frustrating, in more ways than one. :(

However everything else that you're all talking about I leave up to my parents, I don't know alot about the insurance field and policies, probably something I should eventually Learn about.

*raises eyebrow*

Along with making sure you have a continuation of coverage, I'd put learning about insurance and policies that affect you as a top priority. You WILL need to have an understanding of this, and the sooner you start to gain knowledge, the better. You might want to consider talking to your parents about this ... and understand the decisions THEY make....

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 5 MCs + 1 Caprice Classic
CHD.MCs.CC + RoadTrips.hobbies.RadioShows.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Father Time still takes a toll on every minute that you save" __ Clint Black __ 'No Time To Kill'

Along with making sure you have a continuation of coverage, I'd put learning about insurance and policies that affect you as a top priority. You WILL need to have an understanding of this, and the sooner you start to gain knowledge, the better. You might want to consider talking to your parents about this ... and understand the decisions THEY make....

Ovie - remember that I handle employee benefits for my job. If you have questions - ask! (that goes for anyone)

Latest posts

Back