Home Blood Pressure Monitor recommendations?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought an Omron (Kroger private brand name model HEM-712KR) a couple years ago. Works great, is simple and is pretty accurate(checked against PCP monitor). As I recall, it was about $30.

I have two. both Omron. one is for wrist measuring, the other for arm. The wrist probably should not be used for one who has higher readings all the time as it's not quite as dependable for accuracy - according to the owner's manual.

The university of michigan's hypertension clinic recommends the Omron HEM-711AC.

I'm considering buying a one handed cuff, with the bulb, valve and aneroid combined.

Last edited:
I've been impressed with my WrisTech super-cheapie wrist monitor. Last couple of times I used it 3 times in a row. (Remember that the fancy computerized ones do SIX readings in a row, so there's obviously some "scatter" in the readings, even with a professional and $$$ monitor.) Both times, the 2d & 3rd readings were virtually identical, and the very first one was higher. I've never checked it against another monitor, but I'd be surprised if there's a significant bias. Despite being <$20 (and from China, of course!) and using only 2 AAA batteries for power, it seems impressive to me. I guess I'd be surprised if it survived more than a year of daily use, so if you're into lifetime monitoring a more substantial unit might well pay off.

I've been using an Omron HEM-608 for 8 or 10 years now. It seems to be very consistent with doctors' units, and has been totally dependable for all these years. I'd vote for Omron brand, but you would need to research the current models as I'm sure this old one is no longer available.

I take back what I said about the omron hem-711ac. My manual cuff was consistent, but it was too small and it was giving false high readings. The people at the HTN clinic said that when the cuff is too small it doesn't occlude the vessels as easily, and it takes a higher pressure to occlude them.

Latest posts

Back