Hi there!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't let your insurance company try to push you into using a "Local Heart Surgeon" under the misguided impression that "a heart surgeon is a heart surgeon"..

Welcome aboard Tammy...and protest, file a complaint, stay on them until you get the best surgeon you can find. Your cardiologist might need to educate that insurance company.

Hey everyone! I found out that my insurance will not cover Dr. Kouchoukos (He's not in-network). So my cardio and myself are researching the cardiothoracic surgeons at Barnes-Jewsih in St Louis. If anyone has had any experince with one of these surgeons, please let me know. Have a great day!

Sometimes it is possible to get Insurance Companies to cover an 'out-of-network' provider if there is NO in-network provider who has the skill / experience to deal with complicated cases. If you can get a Referal to Dr. Kouchoukos from an in-network provider, preferably with a statement that your condition requires skills that are beyond his area of expertise, you may be able to see him.

In the mean time, be sure to ask ANY and ALL Surgeons about their level of experience with BAV and Connect Tissue Disorders of the Aorta and their experience repairing / replacing aneurisms in the aorta. I'm thinking someone who does 100 or more of these per year should know what he is doing. I'd be hesitant to use a surgeon who only does a few every year.

'AL C'

Hi Tammy and welcome.

My cath was not too bad. I was pretty sedated and snoozed most of the time except when he was trying to get into my valve. My heart felt like it was going to jump through my chest and of course woke me from my light slumber. The rest of the procedure went well - longer than expected since it took him 45 minutes to get through my valve. In recovery it wasn't too bad lying still except for the fact that I had to pee and the bed pan was not going to happen. I tried 3 times but still no go. I convinced the nurse I could stay still much better if I could have a foley catheter and she agreed and I was finally relieved. I didn't ask too many questions since my arteries were looking great and my doc came to give me the news that I needed the valve replaced some time in the next few weeks. I think I may have asked if everything else was ok. You have a few more issues that you need answers on and the folks here are a great resource. I had my cath on August 20th and my aortic valve replaced on Sept 9th, so things moved along pretty quick. I knew I would eventually need surgery so I had already researched surgeons several months prior. I didn't know it would happen so fast, but I was glad I had already done the research. I was fortunate to have a PPO and just not sure how this would have gone with the HMO's I have had in the past.

Good luck with your surgeon search. I know it can be frustrating dealing with the insurance company.

Keep us posted.

Lori

Had my heart cath. It was no big deal, like everyone had said. My cardio told me that the valve is leaking very severely and he would be contacting Dr Moon in st louis. Dr Moon called me at 5:30 yesterday afternoon and my consultation is Oct 29th and surgery is scheduled for October 30th. That way it saves me extra trips to St Louis! Keep your fingers crossed for me. Now my big decision is valve selection. I will be looking over the post and reading everyones comments about that. Thanks again for all of the great post and advice.

Tammy,
You and I have very similar backgrounds medically. I also had a Ross procedure on top of the diagnoses and problems you mentioned.

The cath is not bad at all. I have had a few. Some cardiologists let you watch on the screen overhead. Some dont. Some use the femoral artery with a seal on it afterward to keep you from bleeding, I think that is the standard now. Angioseal it is called. Someone from the OR will put pressure on the femoral site manually, after the cath. They give something (ie valium) to calm you beforehand too. I remember being wide awake for my first cath. For the last one I had, I was in and out of it. PM me anytime.

Latest posts

Back