Hi Gang!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDMc

Been away (literally) all summer, + this is my first night home since July 1! As some of you know, I was under the impression I was in the clear until I got a call saying they wanted me in for a cath 7/5/11. I ended up admitted for 6 days while they managed my warfarin, + did the cath. Had a fantastic cath team at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital, led by Roger Laham(?). When I had my fist cath, it was worse than OHS. How things have changed in 27 years! Several of the team exclaimed what great condition my valve was in. So again I thought I might be in the clear. When they were through, they broke the news that my graft had 3 leaks, + I needed surgery very soon. Turns out my first surgeonwrapped the Dacron graft w/ the old aortic tissue. At some point the graft developed leaks. They have no idea why or when, but I would've died if the old tissue wasn't there. The surgeon Kamal Khabbaz offered to clear a day + do it that week, but I asked for a week to get some things in order. Had the surgery 7/20/11 + thought I was going home a week later, only to have Dr. K wake me up to tell me I was bleeding + they had to open me again! All went well + I got to recuperate in a beautiful waterfront home, with a great team of friends as caregivers. Recovery has been much slower than it was in '84, but I think I can handle work again. I am sparing you details of the negative stuff, but overall I feel amazingly lucky. Sending thanks to all who were thinking of, + praying for me. Love to you all, your valve bro Brian

As the Greatful Dead said in song, ". . . What a long strange trip it's been." Glad you're on the road through recovery, and even more glad you had a good care team to take you through it.

Welcome back.

Brian, I've been following you on FB and enjoy your love of life and love of friends that shines everywhere you go.
Hopefully the rest of your recovery will be "smoother sailing". :)

Been away (literally) all summer, + this is my first night home since July 1! As some of you know, I was under the impression I was in the clear until I got a call saying they wanted me in for a cath 7/5/11. I ended up admitted for 6 days while they managed my warfarin, + did the cath. Had a fantastic cath team at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital, led by Roger Laham(?). When I had my fist cath, it was worse than OHS. How things have changed in 27 years! Several of the team exclaimed what great condition my valve was in. So again I thought I might be in the clear. When they were through, they broke the news that my graft had 3 leaks, + I needed surgery very soon. Turns out my first surgeonwrapped the Dacron graft w/ the old aortic tissue. At some point the graft developed leaks. They have no idea why or when, but I would've died if the old tissue wasn't there. The surgeon Kamal Khabbaz offered to clear a day + do it that week, but I asked for a week to get some things in order. Had the surgery 7/20/11 + thought I was going home a week later, only to have Dr. K wake me up to tell me I was bleeding + they had to open me again! All went well + I got to recuperate in a beautiful waterfront home, with a great team of friends as caregivers. Recovery has been much slower than it was in '84, but I think I can handle work again. I am sparing you details of the negative stuff, but overall I feel amazingly lucky. Sending thanks to all who were thinking of, + praying for me. Love to you all, your valve bro Brian

Who WAS that masked man!:eek2::eek2: Oh, it's BRIAN!!!!:biggrin2:
You've had quite a summer, dear valve brother, but you seem to have handled it well. For that we're all thankful--especially me.:smile2:
Now that you're home, I hope you will stop by and visit more often. It gets lonesome without you around.:smile2:

Hi Brian, glad to hear that you are doing well. Seems like you had a busy summer. Best wishes for your good recovery.

Hi Brian,

You are always such a ray of sunshine and I am so happy to see that you are doing so well!

May God continue to bless you with happiness and good health!

Stay well, my friend! :)

Wow! I've been away from the site too and had no idea you'd been going through all of this.

You have my continued best wishes :smile2:

Brian,
What a rough go you have had. I sincerely hope that this is all now in the 'rear view mirror' for you. Continuing best wishes and prayers to you.
All the very best,

It is so good to hear from you Brian, I'm glad you are now on the road to recovery. Lots of angels have been watching over you and some special ones taking good care of you. I hope you have smooth waters here on out.

Brian,

Good to see you post here ... thoughts/prayers continuing, of course....

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic
* PRE-SURGERY PARTY = ~5:30p-10:30p, Saturday, 10/29/2011 at Beef Villa, 1225 W Spring St, S Elgin IL *
"Got my pedal to the metal" __ Sheryl Crow __ 'Real Gone'

Sorry to hear what you've been through Brian. Very happy that its all behind you. Wishing you continued speedy recovery. x

Thanks again to all of you! Seeing your posts always raises my spirits, + warms my heart.

Latest posts

Back