Hey! it's that mara girl!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mara

Hi all!
It's me! I am feeling pretty good today. Incision feels okay, and not too tired or barfy feeling.

As you know from David, the op went well. i think the surgeon's words were "a perfect" Ross Procedure. I couldn't ask for more than that.

Thank you to all for prayers and good wishes... you know how much it helps.

Now I am on the road back....walking and loving my little breathing exercise machine.

How soon to side sleeping is possible? my back is killing me?
-Mara

Welcome back Mara

Welcome back Mara

Glad to have you back. It's nice to be on the other side - The side sleeping might take a little while though. And BEWARE THE SNEEZE!!!:eek:

Side Sleeping

Side Sleeping

Mara, I found it pretty uncomfortable to lay on my side until about the two week mark.

When I first got home, I stacked a ton of nice firm pillows and laid with my back against the high back of our chez lounger. I know they also have those foam support things that look like a ramp. These could probably help if you don't have a high back of a chair.

After a few days to a week, I started to roll to my side during the night for short periods. I found it most comfortable laying on my right side. I don't know if it's psychological or what, but laying with my substantial weight on my heart on my left side wasn't comfortable at all.

At the point where you can tolerate short side sleeps or naps, it may help to put a large firm pillow (not your little heart pillow) between your legs and another against your chest.

I found keeping my left arm and shoulder supported by the 'chest pillow' kept my shoulder from falling forward and straining things. Maybe a body pillow would work?

Sorry to write a book on the subject (I've been overly verbose since I got off the pump), but it's recent for me too, so I thought I'd share.

At week two, I moved to my bed (firm futon) and continued to surround myself with tons of pillows. I may continue the practice because it's comfortable ;).

Nice to have you back.
Kev

Lots of Pillows!

Lots of Pillows!

Me too, Kev.... ton's of pillows!

I found putting a big pillow between my arms while laying on my side a MUST. And that 'wedge pillow' they give you in the hospital works pretty good too.

I got to where I really like sleeping with a lot of pillows....... but I catch Vergil tossing them off the bed every chance he gets. lol

Pillows, pillows, pillows,
Rain

Hi Mara,

It's good to hear from you. I didn't feel comfortable sleeping on my side for many months. I'm now in my seventh and can only sleep on my side part of the night. When I switch from side to back I get a pain in the sternum area. sleeping on your back gets to be so uncomfortable. I was never a back sleeper to begin with. martha

Welcome back. It's good to have you with us again. Didn't you do well! (David may be able to explain that expression to you).:) :) :)

Pillows

Pillows

I needed extra pillow following my RP. And I was unable to rest on my side for about three weeks, and finally my favorite position of my stomoach was out of the picture for about 8 weeks before I felt safe (lol) to do so.

Forgive me for being out of the loop so long, but where did you have your RP?

Any how, keep excercising, but not to much. Some good walks are just right.

God Bless,

Ben

HI!

HI!

Hi Mara,

I am new to the site!(25yr old,female, aortic bicusped valve w/ leak)

glad you are feeling good and hope your recovery goes as smoothly as possible. I am leaning towards the RP so I look forward to hearing more from you.

:p Kym

RP, AVR and... sleep apnea

RP, AVR and... sleep apnea

The good counsel about not sleeping on one's side made me think about something else. I have mild sleep apnea, and one of the measures taken against it is to avoid sleeping on my back. We use two methods: (1) my wife kicks me (!) when I get stuck on the back and the snoring volume goes up; (2) the MD's gave me a unique torture instrument that is pretty effective: a nightshirt with a place for three tennis balls right in the middle of the back! Try sleeping on your back with that one on!

I am wondering if anyone has experience with the interactions (if any) of sleep apnea and AVR. The minor one is this question of sleeping on your side or your back, and it probably just means staying on one's back and lettin' it rip, snorewise, during the early convalescence. The other issue, as I see it, is the question of oxygen supply. One consequence of AS is reduced supply of oxygen to the organism, and that is also one of the results of sleep apnea. In the sleep apnea case, it is most dangerous at night. Is someone with sleep apnea and AS therefore at greater risk for a bit of crisis, oxygen deprivation etc.?

Peter

I had sleep apnea as a symptom of my valve problem for 4-6 months prior to surgery.

Post-op, the symptoms went away. I do not know if your symptoms will disappear, but perhaps they will lessen after your surgery.

You may have to snore your way through a couple of weeks, but hopefully, if your apnea isn't too serious, you will be able to do so safely.

You may find sleeping in another room more comfortable for the first couple of weeks.
Kev

Hi Mara,

Welcome to the other side. Glad to hear all went well. I too don't like sleeping on my back. Sleeping on my side in a regular bed took me about 3-4 weeks. That Sternum would just HURT.... Big Time!everytime I tried to roll to my side. When I went home to my own bed(water bed) it took me another week to master sleeping and getting in and out of it. I just took it slowly and I was able to ease on my side after a few days. I also used lots of pillows. They do help!
Good Luck recovering! :)

Mara

Mara

Hi Mara ..delighted to see you back on line ...and so glad it is all behind you now ..only a bright a glowing future ahead of you and David .....hope you continue to do as well ...keep in touch ..tell David the sun shone in Scotland last Monday ..we think it was summer :)..
Scottie

Hi Mara - welcome home. Missed you and happy to hear your voice again. Not too bad after all, huh? The best is still coming. It is so 'heartening' to hear all the successes. God bless

Hello Mara,

Glad your surgery went well.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the standard ByPass Recovery sleep recommendation to sleep in a RECLINER for the first few weeks until your sternum is solid enough to permit comfortable sleep on your side.

Sleep well,

'AL'

Better reclining than declining

Better reclining than declining

That's a good idea -- the recliner solution. Have none of our veterans of AVR been counseled to try it or ended up adopting the solution on their own? And how well did it work? I remember doing that back in the days when I had real hiatal hernia/esophogeal reflux problems, happily since resolved.

Peter

Peter,

I too have GERD and am curious how you resolved your reflux problems. My GI and family Doc's have been encouraging me to have Fundoplication for years but other Doctor friends have advised not to let them cut on me "until you can't swallow water". Fortunately, that can now be done laproscopically which is a big improvement in recovery time.

Interestingly, yet another Doctor friend told me there is some new research linking GERD to Heart Disease (he did not specify whether that was Coronary Artery Disease or Valve Disease).

'AL'

Peter, I, too want to know how you resolved your GERD. Guess everybody knows it can be mistaken for heart disease. My dr visit to ER mistook my heart attack as GERD. Pain is similar. Mine may have been heart all the time because I don't seem to have it anymore since my quad bypass.:confused:

hi all

hi all

Hi all-
Ben- I had my surgery at the Indiana Heart Institute at St. Vincent Hospital in Indianapolis. I guess I was pretty lucky the surgeon said it was a "perfect" Ross Procedure. That makes me feel good.

Anyway, I am feeling better each day, except my family complains that I am grouchy....I think I am just tired and sore and they don't get it.

Oh well. Better days are ahead.

Just wich is wasn't so hot and humid here, it make waling a drag, and I hate going to the mall to walk. I feel like an old geezer.

Did anyone do an organized cardiac rehab program?

-Mara

Latest posts

Back