Here we go...colonoscopy/bridging

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COLLEEN S

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I am facing a regular colonoscopy as opposed to the "virtual" (CT SCAN assisted) one I had last fall. Of course for this one, the cardio will be consulted and probably (I hate making the dreaded phone call) will want me to use Lovanox. Ugh. Not looking forward to this. Haven't scheduled the test yet either...that sound is me dragging my feet!

The Gastroenterology Society has approved performing Diagnostic Colonoscopies without going Off AntiCoagulation for LOW Risk Patients with a Mechanical Valve in the AORTIC Position ONLY.
If you have Not had any Polyps, and do NOT have Atrial Fibrilation, you may be able to find a GastroEnterologist willing to perform your colonoscopy while anticoagulated. Good Luck!

'AL Capshaw'

Last edited:
Good grief, if they can replace a pacemaker while you're on coumadin, a colonoscopy should be a walk in the park. Call around and interview gastros until you find someone who will do it.

I am facing a regular colonoscopy as opposed to the "virtual" (CT SCAN assisted) one I had last fall. Of course for this one, the cardio will be consulted and probably (I hate making the dreaded phone call) will want me to use Lovanox. Ugh. Not looking forward to this. Haven't scheduled the test yet either...that sound is me dragging my feet!

You should be able to have a colonoscopy while on warfarin as long as you're in range. See the link below -- this is stickied as one of the "must have" references here:

http://www.asge.org/WorkArea/showcontent.aspx?id=7142

Seems like we're in the same boat Colleen! :eek2:

I have to schedule for a colonoscopy & I too have to bridge! Not too thrilled about that but I trust my PCP entirely because he has managed my bridging during other procedures & I have done just fine. I've yet to make the appointment though.....I've been dragging my feet too! The last one I had was in 1997 so I'm due!

Good luck & I hope everything goes well for you.

You should be able to have a colonoscopy while on warfarin as long as you're in range. See the link below -- this is stickied as one of the "must have" references here:

http://www.asge.org/WorkArea/showcontent.aspx?id=7142

OUTSTANDING Reference Marsha !

I found the High / Low Risk Procedure and High / Low Risk Patient Matrix to be especially useful for assessing
the Risk / Benefit Trade-Off.

For LOW Risk Patients with only a Mechanical Valve in the Aortic Positon and NO History of Bleeding Events or Colon Issues, having a Colonoscopy while anti-coagulated (within Target Range) is worth considering in conjunction with your GastroEnterologist AND your Cardiologist.

For ANY High Risk situation (procedure or patient) going OFF Anti-Coagulation under "Controlled Conditions" has merit.
Discussing Bridging, either with Loveonx Injections, or Hospital Administered Heparin Drip, with your GastroEnterologist AND Cardiologist is wise. Note that having a Mechanical Valve in the MITRAL Positon and/or Atrial Fibrilation places the patient in the High Risk Category. Something to think about !

'AL Capshaw'

Al:

I had a colonoscopy on Dec. 1, 2008, while fully anticoagulated. I held my guns but did agree to drop my INR to 2.5.

I do recall several people here who have reported having polypectomies while fully anticoagulated w/out problems.

Many of those here probably don't remember Warrenr, whose father (mitral valve) ultimately passed away partly due to incompetent ACT management and partly due to going off warfarin for a colonoscopy. Later the same day he had the c-scope, he had a stroke. Was put in nursing home, where he died about 18-24 months later. I will never forget his story.
You can replace brain cells, but not blood cells.

Latest posts

Back