Here I am...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Kerri,

Great! By this time you are almost going home! Prayers coming your way for an uneventful recovery.

I see you have a 4yr old at home: show her your scar so that she can understand what happened to you and then she'll know she has to be careful around you.

Fast HR post-op is "normal" for us. Your heart's way of objecting to being stopped and shocked back into thythm again. Please weigh yourself every day and if you notice fluid retention, then you need to see your Cardio. I had a resting HR of 130+ for 3 months post-op, but had to take Lanoxin while this was going on.

Rest, breath and do your Physio and if at all possible: join Cardio-rehab group.

Take care!

Good to hear you are over the mountain, although the last few steps up and the first few down seemed to have been hard! I think most of us have complications of one sort or another, I myself was kept sedated for two full days in ICU because of fluid in/around my lungs. After that, there was no stopping the progress, or its speed! Wishing the same for you.

Hi everyone. Boy does coming home wipe you out...Can't believe how tired I was yesterday. Finally feeling up to a little computer time.

OK, so as you all know I had a few bumps in the road. Surgery went from a 3-4 hour sub aortic membrane removal with myeoctomy to all that plus a mitral valve repair. I guess after the initial part of the surgery they took a look at everything before closing and found my mitral valve with a severe leak. They found I have a congenital cleft on my mitral valve, that we never knew about. So they had to repair the mitral valve. Whole surgery took 6 hours. Had to go back on the bypass for the repair. Needless to say it was a long day for both me and my family...Had a few more bumps in the ICU that night and the next 2 days. Then all week they had problems with controlling my heart rate and palpitations. Due to the tachycardia, palpitations, dizziness and exertional SOB I had and echo on Sat and found out the mitral valve still has severe leak, so they don't think the repair was successful. I f/u tomorrow with my local cardiologist and then on Thurs with my surgeon. So I will know more then.

I'm just frustrated because I went in to get everything "fixed" and now I am looking at a mitral valve replacement, and another big surgery...Guess time will tell. I will heal up and get well and go from there. Guess that's all I can do now. I have been told from the surgical aspect I'm doing great...from the cardiac aspect I'm hanging in there. Doing better since getting my meds sorted out.

Thanks for all the support and prayers. I really need them...you guys are the best.

Kerri

Hi Kerri,

It's good to hear that you're home. So sorry about the complications along the way! I hope the mitral valve turns out to be a false alarm once you've been able to heal up a bit. I can only imagine your disappointment.

Best wishes for smooth sailing from here on out!

Michele

Happy for you Kerri to hear that you are home. Always a good thing to get out of hospital. Sorry about the mitral valve, what a disappointment! Hope your dr's have encouraging news when you see them. Rest and get your strenght back.

Good to see you're home, but sorry that even your complications had complications. I hope you can get good rest at home for now, and feel better each day.

Good visit with my surgeon today. He gave us alot of information about my heart condition/disease that we were totally unaware of. And actually how lucky I am to be here after all these years with my problems. So we are very grateful and thankful today. He is encouraged by my progress and thinks we will be able to medically manage the severe mitral valve regurgitation along with the idiopathic hypertrophic subaortic stenosis. He will be calling my cardiologist and discussing the management plan we made. He told me he doesn't need to see me again unless I have any problems and released me to my cardiologist.

It has been a good day...
Kerri

Good visit with my surgeon today. He gave us alot of information about my heart condition/disease that we were totally unaware of. And actually how lucky I am to be here after all these years with my problems. So we are very grateful and thankful today. He is encouraged by my progress and thinks we will be able to medically manage the severe mitral valve regurgitation along with the idiopathic hypertrophic subaortic stenosis. He will be calling my cardiologist and discussing the management plan we made. He told me he doesn't need to see me again unless I have any problems and released me to my cardiologist.

Kerri:

My husband's surgeon asked that he come in for a 1-year recheck. At that time, he said everything sounded great & he didn't need to come back unless there was a problem.

Kerri,

I am glad to read that you are encouraged by your appt. with the surgeon. Sometimes, it is better to get answers (even if they're not what we want to hear) rather than being kept in th dark. Always a good sign when you are 'released' to your cardiologist. Keep up the positive thoughts...

belatedly, welcome home. So sorry you had such a hard time, but God touched you and kept you safe these years past and here you are, a brand new person with great future plans. Blessins........

Kerri,
Was your aortic valve replaced?

No aortic valve replacement. He said it looked ok, just a minimal leak. The mitral valve began leaking after the inital phase of surgery and the mitral valve cleft they found was repaired but the mitral valve still has severe leak, so in the future I will probably have to have my mitral valve replaced.

Latest posts

Back