Help

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sood

So I'm 2 days away from my surgery at this point. Had my final pre-op meetings today with the hospital and anestesia. So I had a surgery in 1996 to repair the ACL in my left knee. The first time I went in for that operation the temperature probes on my forehead and chest that they used showed I was running a fever, not exactly sure how high it was but I think over 103. This is after they gave me anesthetics. So before they did the surgery they rushed me out thinking I might have malignant hyperthermia (which basically is a major problem with your muscles responding to the anesthetics). They didn't really do anything beyond take me out and wake me up, so it hadn't got that serious. My anesthesiologist did some research, consulted with colleagues and came to the conclusion that she didn't think I had malignant hyperthermia. We retried the surgery months later and she used anesthetics that are non-triggering for malignant hyperthermia. According to her notes and letter I was running a temperature of 102.6 according to the probes before she even administered my anestesia the 2nd time around. She said my rectal temp on both attempts of operations showed a consistent 99 degree temperature which is the most accurate. My ACL operation went uneventful, I was in surgery for over 4 hours.

Fast forward to today. The anesthesiologist whom I met with said there is a muscle biopsy that can be done at certain testing centers around the country to determine if I truly have malignant hyperthermia (MH). But that it would probably push my surgery back a few weeks for them to do the test, as I have to go to their closes test center which is U.C. Davis. Apparently there is a whole association dealing with this (mhaus.org) and they even have doctors available for these anesthesiologists to contact 24 hours a day from the O.R. if there is an emergency. These guys are the experts of experts in MH. My guy called and talked to one of them, the guy didn't think it was MH. He said they also do patient counseling and to have me call and see if they would even recommend me to get tested. My anesthesiologist called another colleague who also didn't think it was MH.

So basically I have 3 options:

1) Get the muscle biopsy and wait to see what it says and then deal with the anesthetics after the result of that.
2) Proceed with regular general anesthetics.
3) Use non-triggering anesthetics similar to what my anesthesiologist used the 2nd go around for my knee surgery.

I asked him what is the drawback of doing option 3 and using the non-triggering meds. He said there is a possibility for heightened awareness during surgery. I experienced this with my knee surgery there were a couple times for split seconds where I heard drilling in the background, heard nurses talk. They weren't scary or painful, just very interesting. We're talking milliseconds of responsiveness here. Also he said it might take me an extra hour or two in order for them to get me awake afterward. He also said they have brain monitors now so they can detects to about 90% certainty that I'm waking up prior to doing so and they can give me more sedatives before it happens.

I said lets proceed with option 3. My rational was as follows:
* I've already gone through an operation with anesthetics that are non-triggering and I'm here to talk about it.
* I'll have to have surgery either way.
* To me there really isn't any downside risk to option 3 vs the other options. He said this was the way they always sedated people in the 80's for cadiac surgeries.

I am going to call mhaus.org tomorrow and also call my surgeon and just get his input. I can still call off the surgery and do the test. The doubts are mainly seeping in because one I elected to do this surgery myself, and second it gives me a way to chicken out with the fear. There is no justified rational for me to put off the surgery and take the test. I do think I will do the muscle biopsy so I can get clarity long term.

But if you put a gun to my head and if I was already tested and told that I don't have MH and given the choice of regular general anestesia or non-triggering anestesia administered to people with MH, I would choose the non-triggering in a heartbeat because I've been there and done that.

Please weigh in and tell me what you would do? This is the last thing I needed at this time and escape route.

Thanks.

So your temp the first time around was really only 99 - I think you have answered your own question that you don't have MH! I would go with option 3 and not be in the least bit worried. Your anesthesiologist and surgeon are well aware of the (not very likely) problem and even if you do have MH they will be hyoer-vigilant for any signs of it so you're in a better place than someone having surgery for the first time.

No escape my friend, get in there! And good luck from down under. :)

Thanks Ski! I really hope others chime in as well and hear what they would do. I'm trying not to chicken out, I was so stressed again tonight I felt some chest pain. If the anesthesiologist had told me there was even a .0000001 chance of increased mortality with option 3 I would have ran the other way and said where is the testing center. But I asked him the same question about 5 times and he said there is no added risk.

Normally I would suggest you go with option 3 but as you stated: "I asked him what is the drawback of doing option 3 and using the non-triggering meds. He said there is a possibility for heightened awareness during surgery." However at one of our VR.com reunions, one VR member recounted his experience during replacement and stated that there were periods of time when he was aware of his surroundings and what was taking place. I do not know what type of anaesthesia was used, but he said that he had encountered similar difficulties before during minor surgeries. In any case, I would not chance the possible side effects of the non-triggering meds. I'd either get a definitive answer about the MH or I'd go with a general anaesthesia. Good luck!

I think I'd make the same choice you did, but since I can never make up my mind, I might consider having the MH test later rather than let it be a concern the rest of my life. I hope you'll be lucky and never need surgery again, but there's a possibility that someday you could need it without the opportunity to consult with anesthesiologists beforehand.

Best wishes for your surgery and recovery.

I'm with ski girl: pass Go and collect your $200!

Think of the time and energy you've spent arranging your schedule to allow for your recuperation, not to mention the emotional energy you've expended preparing yourself for the big day. If you postpone the surgery, you'll just have to go through that all over again. And in the meantime, you'll experience more stress (and chest pains) as you wait and wonder whether you did the right thing. Given that there is no increased risk from the modified anesthesia, I think you should hold your nose and jump. I have a feeling that, this time next week, you'll be glad you did.

Good luck as you sort this out -- you sure didn't need this little challenge at the final hour!

Thank you all for all your thoughts and prayers. I spoke to the surgeon and laid it out to him exactly like I described here. He said he would do the exact same thing. That's all I needed to hear.

All systems are go for Friday. Excited, scared, drained, and every other feeling in the book. I've been thinking about this day for 13 years. God bless you all.

I'm with ski girl: pass Go and collect your $200!

Think of the time and energy you've spent arranging your schedule to allow for your recuperation, not to mention the emotional energy you've expended preparing yourself for the big day. If you postpone the surgery, you'll just have to go through that all over again. And in the meantime, you'll experience more stress (and chest pains) as you wait and wonder whether you did the right thing. Given that there is no increased risk from the modified anesthesia, I think you should hold your nose and jump. I have a feeling that, this time next week, you'll be glad you did.

Good luck as you sort this out -- you sure didn't need this little challenge at the final hour!

Good luck tomorrow. May 3rd will be a good day.
I already checked into the hospital, waiting to be opened up tomorrow at 7 am.
Let's catch up when we are on the other side!

Looks like you have been given some good advice, so I'll just jump in here to wish you the best on your surgery. I had aortic valve replacement surgery with an On-x valve with Dr. Adamson at Sharp Memorial in 2010 and had a great experience. Dr. Adamson is the head of the department, a good listener and has a great team supporting him. I think you are in good hands. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.

Sood,

Seems you made the right decision. No way I would put off my surgery. Takes too much energy out of life to prepare emotionally for it all. I will be praying for you today and tomorrow. Let us know as soon as you can how you are doing once you are on the other side of the mountain.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

In the waiting room May 23, 2013. On-x AVR. Dr. Barnhart at Swedish Medical Center, Seattle, WA.

Sood, after all your planning and the fact that you feel comfortable with choice 3, go for it. You can always have the test done after the heart issue has been corrected. I will be thinking of you. See you on the other side. :)

I definitely made the correct decision. Spoke to the doctor at the MH uc Davis testing facility yesterday and he said he doesn't think I have it and that the rate of false positives in testing for MH is higher than the likelihood I had MH. He recommended option 3 as well just to be safe.

I'm at the hospital waiting to be admitted now, my surgery fell behind a few hours because my surgeon had to do a transplant a couple nights ago.

Nervous and anxious, thank you all.

Latest posts

Back