Help Needed - Young Man Requires Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dumb question, but have they talked to a patient financial service rep about inhouse charity?

I know that there are a lot of foundations out there that can help people in "dire" need. You just have to do the looking. Call your local congressman; clergy, etc., perhaps they can help point you in the right direction.

Best of luck to you!

I have a student whose grandmother and grandfather volunteer at our school daily. They always owned businesses in the past, but because of health reasons, are mostly retired now. He is on Medicare, but she's not old enough yet, so doesn't have any insurance. Earlier this school year she had a stroke and after testing, they found that she has a hole in her heart and a bad valve, probably since birth. Needless to say they can't afford the surgery she needs. They put her on medication (I'm not sure if it Warfarin, but I assume it might be), but she had another stroke about a month ago. I think they are in the process of getting some type of coverage for people in this condition, but it is a waiting game. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people out there like this.

Without knowing this guy, I would be very reluctant to donate. There are lots of scams in the world.

It would be nice if they posted what resources they have and have not tried and why. Some background would do wonders for donations. It's tempting to do the samething for my teeth extraction and dentures. Talked with an oral surgeons office today and it's between $90 and $140 per tooth extracted and dentures are not even included. That's over $3000 in extractions alone. :eek:

Ross said:
It would be nice if they posted what resources they have and have not tried and why. Some background would do wonders for donations. It's tempting to do the samething for my teeth extraction and dentures. Talked with an oral surgeons office today and it's between $90 and $140 per tooth extracted and dentures are not even included. That's over $3000 in extractions alone. :eek:

I was wondering about you last night about just this thing. If you had gotten any help with your teeth/dentures. Let me know if you go this route I'll can not do a lot but I can help some.
Earline

People Die without insurance

People Die without insurance

Don't beleive the myth... people do die because they can't get insurance. There are SOME helping organizations out there, but not enough and often it comes too late...

I can already see what's happening with this family. They have some money, just enough to keep them above the limits of eligiblity, yet they can't possibly afford such a thing anyhow. There stuck in a vortex that they cannot control and it's slowly sucking them dry as is. There needs to be a coverage for that gap of people. In my area, 2 out of 7 are uninsured. Granted, there are programs to be found if your below poverty level by an insane amount, but until your pretty much going all the way down the toilet, you can't count on help and by the time it reaches you, it's too late. Once you lose the house or the family, then your eligible for help.

I am very concerned that others could find themselves in this same situation - it is important that the medical profession be very direct and clear that having one surgery does not mean "fixed for life" when it comes to BAV. Compounding things for those with BAV is that they often are high-energy individuals who feel well and have no indication that an aneurysm is developing. It is so easy to believe that there really has been a permanent, or at least very long lasting, solution.

No one can predict how long it may be before further intervention is needed - and in this person's case, the timing could not be worse. An aneurysm has been discovered and needs attention with the worst possible timing - a "pre-existing condition" clause in an insurance policy, assuming someone can get the insurance, could be a death sentence for someone with an aneurysm if it prevents them from getting the care they need.

My perspective comes from years of experience with my husband - we were told by a local doc following that first valve surgery in 1990 that he was "fixed" - implying no more problems from BAVD! For a number of years that only appeared to be the case - in reality, his ascending aorta was slowly stretching into an aneurysm. We are fortunate to have always had the insurance coverage needed.

Ross has described the problem this family and others like them face above - and from what I understand, they have explored numerous options looking for help. Especially for those who might be located nearer to them, it should not be difficult to check out the legitamacy of this family's need.

I hope that those reading this who have BAVD may learn something important without having to go there themselves - BAVD can be unpredictable, and those who have it need financial flexibility to seek help where ever they might need to go to find it. They need insurance, yes, - very flexible insurance, that will not deny tests, consults, or treatment from the physicians pioneering the treatment of this condition.

Best wishes,
Arlyss

It's a problem that is much more wide spread then one may think. I know, it's happening to me also.

Toronto?

Toronto?

I am wondering if the family has researched having the surgery in Toronto? It's only about 300 miles from where they live and as I understand it, the cost of OHS in Canada is around $15K-$20K vs the USA cost of $150K-$200K. Also, there is a cardiothorasic surgeon of very good reputation in Toronto -- Dr. Tyrone David.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And to quote an old post:
Freddie24October 6th, 2001, 05:33 PM
Hi Gary47.

I just had an aortic root replacement on May 21. Like you, my valve was fine but my root was dilated to 5.1 cm. This procedure (inserting a dacron graft into the ascending aorta without replacing the valve) is known as the David Procedure. I flew to Toronto to have it done by the man who invented it, Dr. Tyrone David. That was the best choice I've ever made! Not only is Dr. David an incredible surgeon, my recovery was much quicker and easier than I could have ever imagined. I was back in the gym working out (albeit lightly to begin with) three weeks later. Honestly, the worst part of the whole thing was the anticipation beforehand. If you have any other specific questions for me, don't hesitate to ask - I'll give you all the information I can.

"

Latest posts

Back