Help me with QAS

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INRtest

Congratulations to me. I just took delivery of my very own (paid out of my own pocket because of my ridiculously high insurance deductible) INRatio from QAS. Yippee. I so look forward to being able to home test.

Questions/Concerns: Service at QAS has been spotty at best. I don't have time to go into all my complaints, but it began where they were "waiting to hear from my insurance company" before contacting me back, even though I told them that I would have to pay out-of-pocket.

Then it was the 15 minute wait time while the rep tried, unsuccessfully to find my records in their system. Then I received promises from Michelle, the supervisor, who said she would be sure to always follow-up. Then no return calls from my rep, Michelle, or Lance (who failed to answer my e-mails).

Then I promptly received the machine and they show my first name as "Jeffrey" rather than "Jess." I left messages again. No return calls. I finally reach my rep who promised to immediately FAX me, yesterday afternoon, (hah hah) the forms necessary to send to my insurance company so I can credit against my deductible and correct my name.

Now I get results from my lab which were 3.2 and my own self-test at 3.7 Should I expect it to vary by this much? I have to return to the lab again in two weeks anyways, so I will compare once again.

Customer service???????

Jess - I'll let others address the QAS issue. I have had fabulous customer service from them and less than acceptable, so I don't know what's going on now.

As far as your difference in lab vs. test - don't assume that the lab test is the more correct one. That may not necessarily be the case. There are many variations and errors that could effect a lab test. An unscientific way to see how accurate your new machine is would be to test someone who doesn't take warfarin. if they are around 1.0, you know that your machine is probably pretty correct. My husband tested at .9 on my INRatio.

Back to back lab tests run exactly the same and back to back INRatio tests using the same strip lot can still produce different numbers.

You will love home testing.

QAS and INR

QAS and INR

Hey Jess,

The folks @ QAS monitor the forum regularly - so this is always a constructive place to give em a hard time..

I am sure you will get some feedback shortly (usually in a private message instead of publicly on the forum)..

If they don't get back with you, please let me know via a PM.

As far the INR goes, I believe that Karlynn is correct. Don't get hung up too much on the difference between lab and home testing numbers.. For your valve, and in my opinion, both of the numbers are fine.

Keep in mind that the fact that you are now becoming aware of your INR, and have the ability to begin testing @ home and learning how your body regulates it's clotting ability is the power behind the concept.

Once you determine your sensitivity to meds/diet/activity, you will feel immensely more comfortable with the whole concept. Soon you will find yourself wondering how it was ever possible to NOT have the ability to home test.

Keep us posted... Experiences like yours regarding starting out with home testing are highly valuable to all of us..

Jess if you don't get any help, let Hank or I know and we'll roust them up some.

One thing, don't try to compare lab tests and machine tests. The numbers are always going to be different. Labs use different reagents which cause fluctuations from lab to lab etc. Most of us are happy so long as were between 2.0 and 4.0. Nothing wrong with 3.7. That can easily be 3.3 on the next test.

Qas

Qas

Hello,

Please give me a call at your nearest convenience to discuss your purchase. I am in the office from nine until five, and can be reached at 800-298-4515 ex 2865. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Lance Visnich
QAS

I have had trouble all along with the customer service at QAS. I would get a bill for over $300 and then have to place another call asking them to submit to my insurance. The last time the rep said they would put me on an automatic reorder which was great since I could take advantage of the deductible before the end of the year and a new one would start. We had some family distress and the last thing on my mind was the strips and auto order. I got a bill last week for over $300 from the November order and of course did not get the new strips. Now I will wait to see how long it takes to rememdy the bill and will have to order the strips. My issue is now our insurance is going to be gone and I will have to pay for it myself. I don't feel the extra headache was necessary. Lance I won't need a number to call you since it is to late and the pattern of service is clear to me.
Kathleen

Lab vs. home monitor !!

Lab vs. home monitor !!

Hi, I was reading the posts of the differences between the lab and the home monitor. I had a valve replacement in 2004 and received a home monitor after my surgery. I weekly tested my INR at home and then I would test the lab vs. the home monitor every 6 mos and I was never more than .1 difference. Well that machine kicked the bucket after 3 years and I got a new one and my lab has not even come within .5 of each other. My coumadin clinic tells me that the difference is 'not' acceptable. They don't want me to go solo on my home monitor. As my range is suppose to be 2.5 - 3.5 and when I got readings of 2.3 on my home monitor and 3.0 on my lab they are not going to feel comfortable with the difference. They rely on my lab to be the most accurate.

QAS replaced my machine with a new model put out by ROCHE and I am now on my third new Roche machine and once again my labs are not matching my machine. I find it funny that my old machine always came within .1 of my lab and my new one doesn't !!! My insurance paid $2100.00 for this machine and I've been almost 3 mos of doing the labs and the machine simultaneously. :mad:

Any suggestions? I called QAS 2 weeks ago and although ROCHE kept replacing the machines - I fear they will do nothing for me - as this is my third machine. My DR's office tried working with QAS and they got disgusted with the customer service and would not continue to contact them any further. So I had to do it. I wish I could get the same machine type from QAS that I 'had' as I found that machine back in 2004 to be very reliable for years and would like to try the same again..

I'm thinking of not going with any home monitoring at all and just do the labs and tell QAS to refund my insurance company the $2100.00 !!! My coumadin clinic is part of my heart failure dept. and they are a very highly skilled coumadin clinic and they are recognized as one of the top medical facilities in the country.. If they say they rely on the labs over the monitor than I think they are more qualified in that area.

Frustrated !!!

M&M

M+M test someone who is not on coumadin and see what the result is. I'm betting there is nothing wrong with your machine at all. I would blame the differences on lab reagents vs strip reagents. See if your test subject comes out at .9 to 1.2.

My opinion..

My opinion..

Yes, that's the best and most accurate test of an INR testing machine -- testing someone who is not on an anticoagulant. Thankfully I've got my very own 6'5" guinea pig who doesn't mind being tested on occasion.

M&M:

What problems did you have with the first CoaguChek that led you to get a replacement? (just curious)

The Coumadin clinic relies on lab draws, I take it?
Many, if not most, anticoagulation clinics and doctor's offices are now relying on POC (point of care), i.e., a micro-anticoagulation measuring machine, such as a CoaguChek (or INRatio or ProTime 3).
I'm sure you could have 2 lab draws in succession and they would be different.
My PCP's office has a CoaguChek. All INR tests are run on Wednesday afternoons.

Only time I've had a lab draw since going hom from my surgery was when I had a TEE last August. Otherwise, it's all been on a CoaguChek or ProTime 3.

I have a physical once a year with my PCP. When he draws blood for all the other routine tests he also sends some to the lab for a protime.
It never varies much from my INRatio checked the night before.I don't test Alice much anymore but she usually had INR 1.1 or 1.2. I agree with the others in our little group that POC testing with the INRatio or Coaguchek monitors is as good if not better than the central lab.I bought my INRatio from QAS, paid cash didn't want to bother with Medicare. I did have some problems buying the test strips and now get them from Raytel.

Back to the initial thread -- all is well, I think.

I had to make a number of calls to QAS but finally reached my rep who faxed me the necessary corrected invoice with my correct name and my doctor's initial prescription so that I can send them my insurance company to apply towards my ridiculously high deductible. Also, Lance left me a message yesterday which was nice.

I will self-test again in about a wee. Perhaps I will stick my wife as well just for the fun of it and to see how close her INR is to 1.0.

Thank you all for your help. I think that I am going to feel more comfortable with the ability to self-test rather than a monthly lab visit.

Jess

hehe, yeah, sticking a family member. :D I keep telling Karlynn to get her husband Glenns toe hanging over the end of the couch.

mmmm I like the idea of a guinea pig

mmmm I like the idea of a guinea pig

I'm going to rope my 6'2" hairy monster in tomorrow as a guinea pig - he doesn't know yet, he's sleeping right now as he is on nights . That will be a nice surprise for him when he wakes up tomorrow - c'm'ere, hun, I want to stick you !

Lab vs. Home Monitor !!!

Lab vs. Home Monitor !!!

Hi All,

Thank You for your responses. I went to my coumadin clinic lab on Friday and since I had to have some blood drawn for my heart failure they also ran my protime. I was 2.1 on my lab and I had tested myself with my monitor right there at the lab and I came out with a 2.4 - so I was only .3 difference which is better than I had ever came out with. I normally test at my local hospital which is closer to my home and not the coumadin clinic which is at a superior heart facility which is an hour away from home - so I'm wondering if that made the diffference. I'll call my coumadin clinic at my heart failure hospital on Monday and see what they have to say. I did just now test my husband and his reading was a 1.0 - which is what you all told me would mean to be that my machine is accurate. I would like to feel confident with this machine - as I don't want to travel an hour away from home - one way to test it with the lab weekly. Thank you for your input - hopefully I can find a way to test at home and know for sure that it is accurate. I would hate to have open heart to replace this valve again. I'M SURE MY HEART FAILURE CLINIC FEELS THE SAME WAY.
Thank You so much for your input - I will keep your posted.
M&M

Latest posts

Back