Help me understand

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcat96

I feel like this is so minor after reading Ross's post (Ross stay positive, you are an inspiration to others)
Well I started my day throwing up for about 10 hours ( my 7 and 5 year old joined in) we were all sick with in 3 hours of each other. :( Once the vomitting stopped it was the other end! I am having a hard time keeping water in and have been sucking on ice cubes all day. So I was supposed to go to lab this am...called and said i could not make it too sick, I just got a test kit at home ( I am 6 week post op) so I tested and called clinic with results (2.4). They recommended that I skip a does tonight because with vomitting and such an up set stomach INR could rise quickly. Well I felt to shitty to even ask them to explain futher, my ribs and chest are SO sore from gettting sick, I am hoping I can keep some tylenol down. ANY HOW can some one help me to understand why INR would rise with vommiting and diareha, and quickly?
Thanks Dana

Dana, sounds like you have a nasty case of a flu/virus bug. Get some PowerAide and mix it with water 50/50, you must keep yourself hydrated also a dose of Imodium will help with the 'runs'.
This was told to me by my doctor and to give it 3 days.
Hope this works for you.

If your vomitting that violently, the enzymes needed to break the warfarin down are not present or should I say bacteria. Without them, your INR will rise. I don't know that I'd hold at 2.4, but certainly test as soon as your no longer ill to make sure it's not dangerously high.

Get some popsicles to see if you can hold them down. Pedialyte has some that you can try with the kids. No red ones though, you probably already know this. Try a litte gatoraide too to replenish your electrolytes. I hope you all feel better soon.

Dana,

I hope you all shall feel better soon. I cannot advise on INR, but I have a rehydration recipe from webmd that worked for me. Below is the webdsite followed by the excerpt in case you do not have time to check the website:

http://firstaid.webmd.com/dehydration_in_children_treatment_firstaid.htm

EXCERPT: Self-Care at Home

1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/2teaspoon potassium chloride (lite salt)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
4 tablespoons sugar
dissolved in 1 liter (a little over a quart) of water

Children older than two years may be given flat soda (soft drinks that are opened then shaken to lose their fizz), Gatorade, or water-based soups.
Give a few sips every few minutes. Although it may seem that your child is vomiting all that is given, usually an adequate amount of fluid is kept down.

Within four hours after vomiting stops, a BRAT diet (bananas, rice, apples, toast, and other simple starches, such as noodles or potatoes) may be started in children who are weaned from formula or breast milk.
Change slowly to a normal diet after one to two days on the BRAT diet.

on the mend

on the mend

Thanks...feeling a bit better, found out this morning that the family next door that we were with Sat evening also had all 4 kids and parent ssick too!
Louise, I don't know about the red ones????
Eva, thank you for recipe!
Now, any one have any remedies for the the pain in my mending chest from vomiting?? ouch!:eek:

Dana, give it a day or two to settle back to normal, and re-test. Glad you are feeling better.

I have found out since OHS that :

1. bacteria that make Vitamin K live in intestines, and if you have diarrhea, they don't get a chance to make a lot and INR rises (from my anti-coagulant physician).

2. you can take up to 8 immodium daily for the rest of your life without doing any danger to yourself or your entire gut system - from my gastroenterologist, no less !

I have had diarrhea since OHS over a year ago, and take immodium on a daily basis, and taking two a day, my daily warfarin goes from about 7.5 mg to anywhere around 10 mg daily.

Sounds like you and your family had a Noro Like Virus..... so called cruise ship virus. It is highly contagious and passes easily from hand to hand, merely touching a stair handrail an infected person who has not washed their hands has touched. It is hugely common in dormitories, nursing homes, schools, hospitals and hotels. Cruise ships get the most noise about it as they are a contained area with a 'countable number of cases'. In a hotel, people come and go and no one really knows if someone has a gastrointestinal thing going on like they do on a ship.

Wash your hands is the best preventative from both getting and spreading it. Folks who use a restroom and fail to wash are the most common spreaders, particularly if they are food handlers.

Usually people feel very much better within 24-48 hours but are still contagious.

Latest posts

Back