Hello everybody

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dave5Baseball

I just wanted to say hi to everybody, I just became a new member to the site. I logged on to the site a couple days ago and have read just about all of the stories. This site is awesome, what a great help it's been. I'm scheduled to go in for AVR (homograft) on 12-06-02. Obviously I've been nervous but you guys have been a tremendous help. It's nice knowing there are many other people out there that have gone through or are going through the same stuff I am. Thanks again and I'll be talking with you.

Dave5Baseball,

Welcome to our VR.com family. Everyone is very helpful and caring. I didn't find this site until after my surgery but even then I was so happy I did.

Where are you having your surgery? I see your from North Riverside, IL. I live in Oakwood Hills, IL, Perry lives in Vernon Hills, IL, Gina lives in Elmhurst and I think Cort is from ELgin, IL. So we have about 5 of us who all live within a 50 mile radius of each other. There may be others lurking around too!

I feel the same way you do about everyone being so helpful. It made me feel like I wasn't alone in what I went through. Like you said, there are others out there who have gone or will be going through what you will be going through. I say a prayer everyday, thankful we have such a great site, Thanks to the dream of Hank Erying and his wife wanting to help others and creating this website.

I had two mechanical valves replaced and one repaired so I don't know much about the homograft. I'm sure someone will come along shortly to answer any questions you may have. Good Luck and your surgery and I'll be back afterwwards to welcome you to the other side! Take care and God Bless!

Hi Dave

Hi Dave

Welcome to our site...Hope you have read a lot of Pre-Post surgery threads. You will be fine...Ask any question you want and we will be here for you...Bonnie

Hello Dave and welcome to the family.

By reading everything here, you can arm yourself with a lot of useful info and some humor. You might want to stay away from the humor just after surgery. ;)

Being nervous is part of the process. Try to relax and remember that there are a lot of us here that pray constantly for a great surgery and uneventful recovery, so you'll be thought of during your surgery. That's a given.

Ross

Welcome to our heart home. it is an awesome place to be. Wish everybody could read the posts before surgery. Takes away a lot of the bitter taste of fear and anxiety. We are here to walk along as you approach the awesome mountain and climb up to the top and over to our side. Think there are a couple others who will be walking that path about the same time you do. Keep in touch and there are so many questions that have answers from this bunch and all are happy to share their experiences. God bless

Hi Dave and welcome to this site!

I had my MVR on August 27th, 2001. I remember being so nervous as the day came closer, and on the actual day of the surgery...It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. It didn't even hurt that much! I can honestly say that open heart surgery is a life altering experience. You will feel better afterwards, and we will all be here to walk you up the path, and then we will be here when you have reached to top of the mountain and walk with you back down. This site is so wonderful, we are a family, and I would like to welcome you into our family!

Welcome

Welcome

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the group, You have found the best site around,

This time last year I was waiting for surgery, and it is a worry but the fine people on this site helped me prepare and answered all my questions,

They will do the same for you, so try and relax and not worry too much, you are among friends.

Regards

Jan ( Liverpool England)

Hi Dave-

Nice to meet you. There is so much to read on this site, it's truly remarkable.

My husband is the patient and he's had 3 valve surgeries plus a lot of other very serious medical stuff. He's 71 years old and still chugging along. So there's lots of hope for anyone facing heart valve surgery. His fixed up heart has weathered many storms.

It's a real lifesaver and after the initial healing process, you'll be feeling much better.

I hope we see you on the site often, posting, and maybe even helping us from time to time, I see you are an EMT, right?

Take care,

Welcome home,

this is the place for things the doctors and others can't or won't give.

Everyone here tries to help in any way needed. It is good to know when someone says something, they know of what they speak. They have "been there, done that" NO BULL.

I ran into a "friend" the other day and he proceeded to tell me all about heart surgery and what I should and should not be feeling. I finally asked him to unbutton his shirt. He was somewhat taken aback. He asked why. I told him that to take him seriously, I needed to see a scar just like mine. He changed the subject.

I was the poster boy for nervous before my "grand opening" as someone called it. Thank God for all these wonderful folks here. They are a great family to be adopted into. I know and appreciate this site as you will.

Come often.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hi Dave!
Welcome to this wonderful forum. The people here are great; very supportive and helpful. I wish you all the best with your upcoming surgery. Ask any questions you might have. As I'm sure you have read, there are alot of people here that want to help.

Take Care!
Gail

Hi Dave,

Looks like we will be recovering from surgery at the same time.

Mine is scheduled for December 4th. Just spent yesterday morning in the hospital, tests, education, and meeting some of the players on the team. (But this isn't a baseball game is it?)

You are a lot younger than I am but I still hope to keep up with your progress. Lets see?

I am feeling very positive about this and know we BOTH will do great and feel better but it kinda hurts to think about hitting a batting cage any time soon!

At least you have chosen your valve. I am still dragging my feet on that one.

Stay in touch,
Donna
[email protected]

Baseball Dave

This a cool website.
Good luck with your surgery, you'll do fine.

Ask questions. And the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask! We all have been where you are now.

Hello Dave,

And Welcome to this wonderful site. Everyone here is supportive and very knowledgeable and can offer all kinds of emotional support. Let us know about anything you need or questions you need answered. We're all here for you and you will be in our thoughs and prayers with your upcoming surgery. Best of luck and try to take it easy.

Hi Dave,
And welcome to our little village! Several of us here have had homografts (including me) so if you have any specific questions, fire away!

Being nervous before surgery is the norm. If you weren't nervous, you'd be nuts! However, this type of surgery is hugely successful (>98%) and you have a much healthier life ahead of you, one filled with renewed energy and vigor.

We are here to help you get "over the mountain" as we call it, and you're going to be amazed at how many truly wonderful people care about you getting this surgery behind you.

Best,
John

Thank you all for the responses. It is amazing to see all the support at this site You guys are the best. :)

Dave5Baseball

Dave5Baseball

Hello Dave, I too am a newbie. I wish I would have found this sight years ago. Everyone seems to be so caring. It's a comfort to know there are people who have something in common with you. People who have been where you are now. I've had 4 open heart surgeries and believe it or not they keep getting easier. I see your also from IL. Where are you going for your surgery. I had one at Rush St Lukes and my first and last at Univesity of Chicago Hospitals. I also had one at the Cleveland Clinic. I found out we have one of the best right here in Chicago. I do wish you luck. The hardest part is the waiting. You will be in my prayers. Sincerely yours Pegne

hi dave!
welcome to this site.it's a wonderful place and the folks here are so informative and supportive.
we'll keep you company while you wait for dec.6th to roll around, so please keep coming back.
the worst part truly is the waiting, but, you'll see, before you know it this whole thing will be behind you and you will be well on your way to recovery.
please be sure to have a relative post and let us know how you are doing, ok?
we'll be thinking of you, but in the meantime be well and try and take it easy.
-sylvia

Hi Pegne,

I must have missed seeing when you first came on. I see your from Illinois too! In our greater Chicagoland area? I asked Dave the same question, where did he have his surgery. I had my Aortic and Mitral Valves replaced with St. Judes Mechanical and my Tricuspid Valve had to be repaired at The University of Illinois also, on March 8, 2001. I'm glad to hear that the surgeries keep getting easier on you. That's encouraging. Not that I want to go through this again, but you never know.

Dave, yes the hardest part is the waiting but luckily you don't have too long to wait. I'll keep you in my prayers. Take care care and God Bless.

Lorraine

Lorraine

Yes, I am from the greater Chicagoland area. I live in Morris. It's about 20 miles from Joliet. I do have a daughter who lives in Chicago as she goes to Depaul University. She's a softball player there. How ironic I gave birth to an athlete when I couldn't even take gym class as a kid. I have 2 homograph valves right now. The doctors were reluctant to give me mechanical valves because they did not want me on coumadin at my age (I'm now 41). So far things are going great. It's so neat to find so many people on here from the same geographical area. Pegne

Hi Pegne,

I know where Morris is, I use to drive down that way all the time to get to I55. I live near Crystal Lake, IL. It is a small world. I work for DePaul University. I'm the assistant to the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs in The College of Law. Which location is your daughter at, the Loop or Lincoln Park campus? I'm in the Loop.

I see our local group is getting bigger in just our vacinity. Kinda neat. Perry, Gina and I are going to be coming up with plans for our VR.com Reunion that is going to be held in Chicago next year. I've been to two of them, the one in Nashville last year, and the one in Vegas this year. After being online and conversing with everyone, when you meet them in person, you feel like you've known them all your life. Well, at least that's how I felt. We've had a great time.

I didn't join the site until after my surgery. I too wish I would have found it before, but I'm still glad I found it. It has been very informative, very supporting and you can just see how everyone cares. I was 50 when I had my valves replaced and because the surgeon said I was so young?, I should get themechanical valves because they should last a life time. Of course the down side was the Coumadin. I'm use to it now, but it does make me nervous when my INR is fluctuating. I'm trying to get my own Protime machine. Been denied twice by the insurance though. I plan to try again after the holidays. I'm too busy right now at work. Take care!

Latest posts

Back